Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2009, 18:50   #166
Team-BHP Support

I just did a drive down to Chennai from Hyderabad.
Left Hyderabad at 1:30 PM.
I exited the State Highway roads as dusk fell.
So at 7:30 PM found myself on NH5.
One of the finest highways around here. With lane marking and well lit markers.
Reached home in Chennai at 12:30 AM.

Also, since it was a National Highway, its quite well plotted on my GPS kit.
So I knew the road layout as it approached me.
This was a big help.
Old 1st May 2009, 19:48   #167
Senior - BHPian

OT here...GPS should be helpful esp during the night drives? esp when you none to ask for direction...

How much it costs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I just did a drive down to Chennai from Hyderabad.
Left Hyderabad at 1:30 PM.
I exited the State Highway roads as dusk fell.
So at 7:30 PM found myself on NH5.
One of the finest highways around here. With lane marking and well lit markers.
Reached home in Chennai at 12:30 AM.

Also, since it was a National Highway, its quite well plotted on my GPS kit.
So I knew the road layout as it approached me.
This was a big help.
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:06   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
OT here...GPS should be helpful esp during the night drives? esp when you none to ask for direction...

How much it costs?
My Asus P527 phone has an inbuilt GPS and came with a One-India map as part of the package.
It cost me under 13k.

There is a detailed review in the Mobile phones thread.

And yes the GPS is quite handy during night travel.
Old 2nd May 2009, 21:54   #169
Senior - BHPian

Driving at night is really good, especially late night when there is less traffic. But the headlamps on our cars (xenons or not) are inadequate when you are going at speeds above 100kmph. There is very little chance you will see the potholes/humps ahead and even if you do, you'll have very little time to slow the car down.

Driving at dawn is the best IMO as there is again little traffic and enough sunlight.
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:28   #170
Senior - BHPian

Not true karthik.

Maybe your cars are faster but at 120, I can make out suchlike issues. Cannot avoid mostly, but still do slow down well in time or swerve to avoid if at all.

And I run a pair of normal 60/55 +50%, +30% bulbs - nothing special.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:09   #171
Senior - BHPian

I used to prefer driving at night from Bangalore to Cochin earlier for the thin traffic; but had a very bad experince recently where my elantra ran over a rock left by the lorry guys on the inner lane in the 4 lane before Salem. Alloy wheels got broken and front tire went flat (lost the new Michalen tyre). Thanks to TCS and ABS, we were all safe. If it was in day I would have spoted the rock I feel. So now it is strict NO to night long drive.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:39   #172
BHPian

For me it's Night drive. Both day and night has positive and negative sides, however i find night drive more peaceful and little fun.
Old 6th May 2009, 13:02   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
what a nice point you make , like just entering the black hole for a moment. Actually driving in the ghats at night is safer provided you keep the speed limits and you have traveled the route a zillion times.
Agree to you completely. I too enjoy driving ghats during night, but yep it is on the familiar ghat roads around Munnar & Ooty. Need to try once in some unfamiliar terrain to get a feel of it
Old 3rd September 2009, 22:08   #174
BHPian

Depends on the route, your drive and company!

To me, it depends a lot on the route you tend to take, what you are going to drive and who is coming along. In the city ( if one has to mention), these days I do the driving early in the morning or 11:00 to 4:00PM ( when I have the choice!). On the highway, it all depends on the route etc. Driving down South, there was an oncoming vehicle every 6 secs!! Most of them, Buses and Trucks. It was not the case years back but now it is. You have to be quick, know what you are driving to reach back safe. Big no no if you are travelling with aged people, kids or pets late during the night. (Guess we tend to get a little cautious as we get older? )

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I have done both, all day and all night. Nights used to be less congested, with lesser traffic and few surprises. You just focus on the road ahead and the cool air keeps the engine cool. I guess times have changed. Day or night, remember to get back home safe. Dawn and dusk are times fatigue catches up on everyone (+visibility is the worst around this time) and we do need to be extra cautious while entering towns/cities or while exiting them. Everyone seems to be in a hurry around these places. I do know a lot of us out here would have done a lot of driving, Just a few things i remembered. Happy to have started to drive pretty young and when there weren't so many cars on road and really good drivers, Not these halfwits straight from bullock carts to cab seats! Glad if it helps someone.
Old 12th September 2009, 10:54   #175
BHPian

Me too. I try to reach my destination before nightfall.

The glare of high beam from oncoming traffic is really irritating and makes night driving pretty dangerous, especially on unknown roads.

None of my recent evening/early night driving experience have been pleasant.
Old 13th September 2009, 12:59   #176
BHPian

It is daytime driving for me, unless circumstances force a night-time drive. I drive only for pleasure and to escape out of the city. This is best done during the day when I can enjoy the nature around me. I don't fancy counting headlights at night.
Old 13th September 2009, 16:11   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
There is one trick that is essential to learn in order to drive at night - avoid looking at the oncoming headlights at all cost, this is done by averting the eyes and keeping them focussed on the road margin (or lane marker) at the left (if possible adjust your headlights to fall where you want the left margin to be in relation to your car). One glances up only very briefly to ensure that the path in front is clear.

Once this knack is mastered, night driving is a breeze whether on plains or on the ghats.
Exactly what got me through my 2 wheeler highway driving days. Always use low beam against high beam (low beams are generally much wider), and keep looking at the margin. Generally speaking, make the left margin of the road your reference for placing yourself on the road.

For four wheelers the relatively higher average speed becomes an issue. Specially on 2 lane highways with lots of unmarked speed-breakers (Indian ones ), it becomes much more difficult to spot them and slow down in time.
Old 14th September 2009, 13:19   #178
BANNED

I have tried quite hard to get up at dawn and ride/drive but it just doesnt happen, hence I prefer night driving to cover long distances with lesser disturbances and traffic on the road.
However, I understand that driving at night needs extra caution and experience as visibility reduces to a great extent.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:45   #179
BHPian

I prefer Night Driving. On all my out of station trips, I usually start at 2AM.
Old 15th September 2009, 11:34   #180
BHPian

I prefer night driving as it saves lot of time especially when you are on vacation. Can cover more destinations / sight seeing. Also, prefer early morning driving for lot of fresh air, beating traffic, no A/C.

I drove over night from Hyderabad to Coorg and again overnight from Coorg to Hyderabad. Covered Mysore, and many sight seeings at Coorg.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks