Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2008, 01:20   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hear the vehicles approaching.. dude is that how you spot oncoming vehicles.. by listening to them coming...well that's funny.
Animals on the road really do not need flashlight.. if you have ever driven at night you might have noticed most animals eyes shine and glow ...looks scary though ...don't stare though...
Guess my post has not been read carefully:
1. "Many vehicles travel without lights and some with only one light; you may never be able to EVEN hear them"
I have spoken about atleast hearing the vehicles in the dark when they do not have their lights on. When you cant see them you may atleast try to hear them. Having driven at night on the ghats on several occassions I can assure that the sound reflections are heard quite well in the ghats.
2. Wonder what makes one think that all animals know that they must point their eyes towards the headlights of approaching cars? They may have their backs to the approaching vehicle and surely they do not have reflecting eyes on their backs .
Old 24th May 2008, 01:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

City - Night Driving for various reasons.
Highways - Daytime Driving for obvious reasons.
Old 24th May 2008, 06:33   #78
Senior - BHPian

Actually faithless, what you write is interesting.

In Delhi at night, everyone is doing 100+ easily and that makes accidents like the Laura one pretty possible, and even otherwise, junctions need infinite care.

On the other hand, it makes highways safer (with gooood headlights/brakes). Significantly reduced pedestrians/slow vehicles trying to take you on and cross - much lesser traffic - none around villages. Chronic bottlenecks like NH1 are peace. aur life mein kya mangta hai.
Old 24th May 2008, 12:30   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Guess my post has not been read carefully:
1. "Many vehicles travel without lights and some with only one light; you may never be able to EVEN hear them"
I have spoken about atleast hearing the vehicles in the dark when they do not have their lights on. When you cant see them you may atleast try to hear them. Having driven at night on the ghats on several occassions I can assure that the sound reflections are heard quite well in the ghats.
2. Wonder what makes one think that all animals know that they must point their eyes towards the headlights of approaching cars? They may have their backs to the approaching vehicle and surely they do not have reflecting eyes on their backs .
Yeah dude animals with their backs to you are probably running scared away from you...now they might carry their flashlights but atleast you are
carrying yours right (something called headlights).. so what's the problem...
Another fact is if the approaching vehicle is driving with one light dude atleast you are driving with both lights on...he will spot your's if you dont spot him...

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 24th May 2008 at 12:34.
Old 27th May 2008, 12:35   #80
BHPian

Well we prefer starting a drive around 4-5 am to avoid the city traffic. Once on the highway which should be around 5:30-6 types when the highways are clear of trucks. So empty roads to drive especially in AP. We easily touch speeds upto 150.
Old 8th June 2008, 23:24   #81
BHPian

I Love Night Driving, But In Doubt Now

I personally prefer night driving & the biggest advantage of night driving is the fact that we can see the lights of approaching vehicles, especially on turns much in advance than in day driving, thanks to the vehicle's lights.

However 'm now beginning to realize that it's very dangerous driving at night, not because of how we may be driving, but because of Truck drivers who may fall asleep. I don't post often ('m too lazy after I come back from , have been a member on T-BHP since 2004 & read thru way more than I write, but 'm taking this opportunity to narrate an incident that is changing my thoughts about night driving. So here goes..

Week before last two of my friends were driving back from Chennai (to Bangalore) & they started at night. To make it simpler, lets call the friend who was driving 'A' & the other friend 'B'. About 1:45 AM they stopped at Vellore to answer nature's call & while A got off the car first, B followed him in about half a minute. They'd parked their car on the left side of the road. When A returned to the car & as he was just about to get into the car, a truck approaching on the same side of the road, suddenly swerved towards him & hit him, dragging him a few feet before the wheel ran over his head, killing him on the spot. All this happened right in front of B's eyes. The truck driver didn't even stop, he just slowed down a bit, and for the presence of mind of B, he quickly chased it a bit on foot & noted the registration number.

Unfortunately B doesn't know driving & although he tried stopping other passing vehicles for help, none did. Neither was there any answer/response to any of the emergency numbers he tried dialling. He then ran to the closest house, called the cops etc.

I'm somehow not able to get over it, 'coz it is just so unfair!! It's just not Fair!! 'A' has a daughter who is just 3 years old :(. Unfair!!

Wanted to narrate this because however careful we may be, just can't trust those truck drivers. They have such hectic lives & driving such long distances, there is a very high possibility of them dozing off on the wheel.

I don't think I'd want to drive at night anymore, it is just not worth it considering the pain & grief one leaves behind.
Old 9th June 2008, 14:10   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dud_Dodo View Post
I personally prefer night driving & the biggest advantage of night driving is the fact that we can see the lights of approaching vehicles, especially on turns much in advance than in day driving, thanks to the vehicle's lights.

However 'm now beginning to realize that it's very dangerous driving at night, not because of how we may be driving, but because of Truck drivers who may fall asleep. I don't post often ('m too lazy after I come back from , have been a member on T-BHP since 2004 & read thru way more than I write, but 'm taking this opportunity to narrate an incident that is changing my thoughts about night driving. So here goes..

Week before last two of my friends were driving back from Chennai (to Bangalore) & they started at night. To make it simpler, lets call the friend who was driving 'A' & the other friend 'B'. About 1:45 AM they stopped at Vellore to answer nature's call & while A got off the car first, B followed him in about half a minute. They'd parked their car on the left side of the road. When A returned to the car & as he was just about to get into the car, a truck approaching on the same side of the road, suddenly swerved towards him & hit him, dragging him a few feet before the wheel ran over his head, killing him on the spot. All this happened right in front of B's eyes. The truck driver didn't even stop, he just slowed down a bit, and for the presence of mind of B, he quickly chased it a bit on foot & noted the registration number.

Unfortunately B doesn't know driving & although he tried stopping other passing vehicles for help, none did. Neither was there any answer/response to any of the emergency numbers he tried dialling. He then ran to the closest house, called the cops etc.

I'm somehow not able to get over it, 'coz it is just so unfair!! It's just not Fair!! 'A' has a daughter who is just 3 years old :(. Unfair!!

Wanted to narrate this because however careful we may be, just can't trust those truck drivers. They have such hectic lives & driving such long distances, there is a very high possibility of them dozing off on the wheel.

I don't think I'd want to drive at night anymore, it is just not worth it considering the pain & grief one leaves behind.
Hey buddy.. am sorry to something like that happened to your friend.Fate can be
cruel sometimes.
Old 9th June 2008, 19:34   #83
BHPian

prefer driving at night. climate is cool so no need of ac. less traffic. i avoid long drives during daytime.
Old 10th June 2008, 13:59   #84
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I prefer night driving to day, whether in the city or on the highway. Depending how late it is, you could have the road entirely to yourself. The weather is also cooler at night. Heck, it makes the engine feel better! I have taken plentiful highway trips at night, most of them within Maharashtra state itself (Goa, Panchgani etc.). The pleasure of you and your car alone on an empty highway stretch is simply unbeatable!

However, there isn't a doubt that night driving is more dangerous:

1. A ton of commercial vehicles (trucks, tempos, taxis) driving without functional headlamps & tail lights.

2. Lesser visibility : This is important as our road infrastructure is poor. You have a lesser chance of seeing that boulder, bang in the middle of the road.

3. More drunks at night than during the day.

4. Higher average speed at night as compared to the day.

5. Sleepier (spell check?) drivers.

6. Higher rate of theft and highway robberies.

7. Lesser chance of finding help in the event of a breakdown or an accident.
Old 10th June 2008, 14:55   #85
Senior - BHPian

I always prefer day driving here in India because of points 6&7 above. better be safe than sorry.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:09   #86

Night driving all the way!! Because as the AC is off, the car gors faster!!
Old 10th June 2008, 15:32   #87
Senior - BHPian

My answer would be 'it depends'...

If you are merely going from point A to B, you may drive at night to save time and get on with your business at point B.

If you are on a driving holiday, well the answer obviously is 'Daytime'. Its safer, you get to enjoy the scenery.

I drive faster during the daylight hours than at night. Those trucks without lights, pedestrians, tractors without lights on the wrong side of the road all make it less safe to drive at night.

IMO night driving puts more strain on the driver.

Whenever you drive, DRIVE SAFE.
Old 10th June 2008, 15:37   #88
BHPian

I would have definitely preferred night driving to day driving, if not for all those scary bullock carts, lorries and other vehicles without tail lights. So for the sole purpose of safety,its day driving for me.
Old 11th June 2008, 12:33   #89
Senior - BHPian

Anytime/Anywhere/Anyhow - I Love Driving

Night Driving is better than day driving
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:21   #90
BHPian

Night driving, definitely! I find it much safer, especially on highways.

I find everyone drives much better during the night. No rash lane cutting, overtaking etc by cars. The bus and truck drivers are *very* co-operative. Just one flash, and they get out of the way.

No bicycle riders, bullock-carts, children etc. to worry about either.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed