Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 23:52   #106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 182
Thanked: 451 Times
Default Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Folks, I have recently booked a Vento manual, but am now confused if I should change my booking to a Polo AT for the ESC. A Vento AT is a good 4 lakhs+ over the manual, and doesn't make sense financially.

I am quite tall, and the rear space in Polo would pretty much become unusable behind the driver's seat, effectively making it a 3 seater. I am really confused if I should opt for the additional space in the Vento manual or the added safety in the Polo AT.

Any thoughts? Is the ESC critical enough that I compromise on the interior space and boot space?

P.S. Didn't like the other cars in the 10-11 lakh price range much. None of them felt as solidly built as the VW twins nor as fun to drive.
pavanmadhini is offline  
Old 3rd March 2021, 00:03   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
Folks, I have recently booked a Vento manual, but am now confused if I should change my booking to a Polo AT for the ESC. A Vento AT is a good 4 lakhs+ over the manual, and doesn't make sense financially.

I am quite tall, and the rear space in Polo would pretty much become unusable behind the driver's seat, effectively making it a 3 seater. I am really confused if I should opt for the additional space in the Vento manual or the added safety in the Polo AT.

Any thoughts? Is the ESC critical enough that I compromise on the interior space and boot space?

P.S. Didn't like the other cars in the 10-11 lakh price range much. None of them felt as solidly built as the VW twins nor as fun to drive.
Hi Pavan,
Have you checked out the Ford Ecosport Titanium Petrol or Diesel? The 2021 model gets additional safety like Traction Control, ESC and even Hill launch assist. It is a well built car with amazing driving dynamics.
Shiftlock is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 00:13   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 182
Thanked: 451 Times
Default Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
Hi Pavan,
Have you checked out the Ford Ecosport Titanium Petrol or Diesel? The 2021 model gets additional safety like Traction Control, ESC and even Hill launch assist. It is a well built car with amazing driving dynamics.
Hi Shiftlock,

Thanks for the response - Unsurprisingly, the Ecosport T+AT was our initial choice actually. It even has 6 airbags! We took multiple test drives and finally rejected it since my mom and wife both felt that the ride was quite bouncy in the city. We currently have a sedan and a hatchback, so probably the higher seating position left them a bit unsettled. The Vento, obviously, had significantly lesser body roll.

I am veering towards holding on to the Vento booking as of now.
pavanmadhini is offline  
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:24   #109
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
Hi Shiftlock,

Thanks for the response - Unsurprisingly, the Ecosport T+AT was our initial choice actually. It even has 6 airbags! We took multiple test drives and finally rejected it since my mom and wife both felt that the ride was quite bouncy in the city. We currently have a sedan and a hatchback, so probably the higher seating position left them a bit unsettled. The Vento, obviously, had significantly lesser body roll.

I am veering towards holding on to the Vento booking as of now.
I see
The Vento is also a good car however have you considered it's sibling the Rapid? Additionally the Honda City base variant manual/automatic may fall into your budget if you want to take a look at it. It has all the safety features available right from the base variant that also happens to come with 4 airbags. I feel that its actually one of the most VFM base variant that offers all important features that matter to the end consumer.
Shiftlock is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 02:49   #110
BHPian
 
BigBrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KL - 7
Posts: 276
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

The updated Swift gets ESP with Hill Hold Assist for all AT variants. Additionally, it also gets ISOFIX standard across the range!
Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?-screenshot_20210302221508__01.jpg
BigBrad is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:26   #111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 182
Thanked: 451 Times
Default Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
I see
The Vento is also a good car however have you considered it's sibling the Rapid? Additionally the Honda City base variant manual/automatic may fall into your budget if you want to take a look at it. It has all the safety features available right from the base variant that also happens to come with 4 airbags. I feel that its actually one of the most VFM base variant that offers all important features that matter to the end consumer.
The Rapid also doesn't have ESC in the manuals and the Vento is better equipped in the less than 10L ex-showroom variants.
Honda City does look great, but I feel it doesn't handle as well as the Vento nor feel as well built as the Europeans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
The updated Swift gets ESP with Hill Hold Assist for all AT variants. Additionally, it also gets ISOFIX standard across the range!
Attachment 2127970
I'm sure it's a fine car, but I am simply not a fan of the brand. Definitely a mind block, but I doubt if I'd ever buy a Maruti.


The question for me here is - do I get the manual Vento or the Polo AT?
pavanmadhini is offline  
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:28   #112
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 77
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post


The question for me here is - do I get the manual Vento or the Polo AT?
I understand the doubts regarding the lack of ESC in the Vento, can you elaborate on its usage? If its mostly city use then practicing careful driving can help mitigate the absence of ESC.

If backseat space is not a constraint and the car is going to be self driven then I would choose the Polo AT simply because of the convenience of the AT and the driving comfort it offers. however, if the space is required, the Vento is a great car and the TSI engine is a gem.
Shiftlock is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:25   #113
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 182
Thanked: 451 Times
Default Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
I understand the doubts regarding the lack of ESC in the Vento, can you elaborate on its usage? If its mostly city use then practicing careful driving can help mitigate the absence of ESC.

If backseat space is not a constraint and the car is going to be self driven then I would choose the Polo AT simply because of the convenience of the AT and the driving comfort it offers. however, if the space is required, the Vento is a great car and the TSI engine is a gem.
1. The usage will be a 50-50 mix between city and highways. For the immediate future, it'll probably be 70% highways for the next 6-8 months till WFH comes to an end.

2. Backseat space is a good to have for sure. Even a short person would find it hard to sit behind when I'm at the wheel. :(

Completely see-sawing now between the 2 options. Wife is now leaning towards the Polo for added safety and urban convenience.
pavanmadhini is offline  
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:20   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,567
Thanked: 2,150 Times
Default Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
T...
Honda City does look great, but I feel it doesn't handle as well as the Vento nor feel as well built as the Europeans.
...
I really suggest you take a look at the Honda City. It's got ESC/ESP as a standard fitment across all variants and apart from the lighter build than the Vento, I think it is superior everywhere else.

The Vento with it's ultra soft rear suspension isn't a great handler to be honest.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 3rd March 2021 at 17:33.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks