Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2012, 11:43   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishie View Post
Apart from Ford Fiesta AT, any other cars which have ESC as standard?
None in that segment or below. The immediate next available option with ESP will the be Renault Fluence (all variants).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 11:59   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
None in that segment or below. The immediate next available option with ESP will the be Renault Fluence (all variants).
Thanks for the Info, but I am not only looking in this specific segment.
Any idea of other Cars that come with ESP/ESC as standard across all segments?
Old 14th November 2012, 12:28   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the Info, but I am not only looking in this specific segment.
Any idea of other Cars that come with ESP/ESC as standard across all segments?
Well, I am not sure of brands/models across all segments. Below is what I have gathered:
  • Luxury brands – BMW, Merc, Audi, Volvo etc. have safety features standard across all models/variants – ESP, 6 or more airbags, ABS+EBD etc.
  • Cars in the Superb, Passat segment have ESP as standard (the Camry probably is an exception).
  • In the D1 segment, only the Fluence and Jetta have ESP across all variants. Its available only in top variants for Laura and Elantra.
  • In the C segment sedans, only Fiesta AT have ESP.
  • In the midrange SUV/Crossover space, I guess the Yeti have ESP in all variants (or missing in Active?).
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:06   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, I am not sure of brands/models across all segments. Below is what I have gathered:
  • Luxury brands – BMW, Merc, Audi, Volvo etc. have safety features standard across all models/variants – ESP, 6 or more airbags, ABS+EBD etc.
  • Cars in the Superb, Passat segment have ESP as standard (the Camry probably is an exception).
  • In the D1 segment, only the Fluence and Jetta have ESP across all variants. Its available only in top variants for Laura and Elantra.
  • In the C segment sedans, only Fiesta AT have ESP.
  • In the midrange SUV/Crossover space, I guess the Yeti have ESP in all variants (or missing in Active?).
Adding to the list: Hyundai Sonata and Santa FE (2012 models).

Can anyone confirm Chevrolet Cruze has ESP / ESC (any model) ?
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:16   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone confirm Chevrolet Cruze has ESP / ESC (any model) ?
Nope, it doesn't. It is high time GM provides ESP in Cruze, at least in their 2013 refresh.

XUV has ESP only in the top end W8 version. The next W6 version has just ABS+EBD.
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 11:47   #81
BHPian

I am reviving an old thread here- of late quite a few cars in 10 L+ range are coming with ESP, but most of them are automatic cars. For example Ecosport, Polo, Vento, Rapid to name a few.
Now can someone please tell me why this is so?
Do AT cars need ESP more than manual cars? (I can’t seem to think of any reason for the same)
i_see is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 14:25   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_see View Post
I am reviving an old thread here- of late quite a few cars in 10 L+ range are coming with ESP, but most of them are automatic cars. For example Ecosport, Polo, Vento, Rapid to name a few.
Do AT cars need ESP more than manual cars? (I can’t seem to think of any reason for the same)
Interesting observation.

But IIRC Zest manual transmission also has CSC (Corner Stability Control - which I guess has similar functionality to ESP ). So I don't think the feature is only limited to AT.

Maybe its part of some programming package that car makers have for the ECU of AT cars.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 31st October 2014 at 14:26.
Old 31st October 2014, 15:34   #83
BHPian

Quote:
I think it is just that the AT and ESP are two common features offered on high end trims in that price range. One possibility is that the central electronic control modules on higher trims are capable of supporting many more additional features (which could be AT, ESP, etc.) and that those which come in lower trims might not have support for features other than the basic kit (without AT, ESP, etc.). Depends on how the maker wants to kit up different trims of each model.

However ESP is not limited to AT cars. There are MT cars which have ESP too. Logically the stability control should have nothing to do with the type of transmission in these cars, other than may be common supporting high line control modules which are provided in top end trims only by many makers. Stability wise, AT/MT cars with ESP are equally safer than ones without, and vice versa.
Old 31st October 2014, 15:36   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no distinction between AT or manual as far as ESP is concerned. At least as far as VAG cars are concerned, I think its a component kit thing. Every spec sheet that I've seen with the 7-speed DSG has ESP and features like hill hold in common. It's also not trim-based because as far as I know, even the Comfortline variant of the Vento DSG twins comes with ESP, which also lends credence to the fact that ESP is a feature set of the transmission.

Last edited by StarScream : 31st October 2014 at 15:42.
Old 31st October 2014, 15:37   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Interesting observation.

But IIRC Zest manual transmission also has CSC (Corner Stability Control - which I guess has similar functionality to ESP ). So I don't think the feature is only limited to AT.

Maybe its part of some programming package that car makers have for the ECU of AT cars.
well i doubt that zest has a proper ESP, else they would have publicized it much just the way mahindra did it with XUV. i feel it is some marketing terminology for something else.

your explanation about AT cars having ESP makes sense.
can someone please elaborate on the CSC (Corner Stability Control ) of zest

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
There is no distinction between AT or manual as far as ESP is concerned. At least as far as VAG cars are concerned, I think its a component kit thing. Every spec sheet that I've seen with the 7-speed DSG has ESP and features like hill hold in common. It's also not trim-based because as far as I know, even the Comfortline variant of the Vento DSG twins comes with ESP, which also lends credence to the fact that ESP is a feature set of the transmission.
is it that the manufacturers want to add hill hold to AT cars and as hill hold & ESP are part of same component package, the cars get ESP also?

Last edited by i_see : 31st October 2014 at 15:53. Reason: adding
Old 31st October 2014, 17:09   #86
BHPian

Electronic Stability Control In Indian Cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
It's also not trim-based because as far as I know, even the Comfortline variant of the Vento DSG twins comes with ESP, which also lends credence to the fact that ESP is a feature set of the transmission.

You are right by saying that it is not trim based. It is based on the control modules provided by the maker in different trims. That does not mean that a same module cannot be found in 2 different trims. There are modules which are basic, advanced and many levels in between, out of which the lower range of modules will support lesser stuff than the advanced ones. Certain features of the same modules can vary depending on if it came in a revised batch or not. So there could be infinite combinations being manufactured and sold out. Now your example of Ventos obviously has modules that support ESP in both the trims, that's all.

Quote:
is it that the manufacturers want to add hill hold to AT cars and as hill hold & ESP are part of same component package, the cars get ESP also?

Hill hold is another similar feature which is not related to transmission type. MT cars have hill hold too in higher trims which have control modules to support such added features.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 31st October 2014 at 17:21.
Old 1st November 2014, 03:23   #87
BHPian

Ford Fiesta 2014 comes only in Diesel and there is no Petrol Auto (which was the only version that came with ESC) available. The website for the 2014 Fiesta prominently mentions ESC but it is not mentioned at all in the specs and the brochure, not even in the sections dedicated to safety features.

Does anyone know if the 2014 Fiesta Diesel come with ESC or not?
Old 1st November 2014, 05:56   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Does anyone know if the 2014 Fiesta Diesel come with ESC or not?
I guess that's something which Ford India is still trying to figure out. I think the car does not have ESC, and brochure/spec sheet also have no reference about it, but their online chat agents say that it comes with ESC
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 10:08   #89

Quote:
well i doubt that zest has a proper ESP, else they would have publicized it much just the way mahindra did it with XUV. i feel it is some marketing terminology for something else.

your explanation about AT cars having ESP makes sense.
can someone please elaborate on the CSC (Corner Stability Control ) of zest

Hi,
Lemme explain difference b/w ESP and CSC.
ESP is master function which has subfunctions as ESP (itself), TCS, ABS, EBD and BAS (Brake assist ssystem) [last one is optional].
Now CSC is corner stability program which is an added feature in ABS [just like EBD is an added function in ABS].
It helps inreasing stability during cornering, but in a limited way.

Major difference between ABS only system and ESP system is that ESP can invrease brake pressure in any individual wheel without any drivers input [pressing brake pedal]. However in ABS only systems, brake pressure can only be increased if driver presses brake pedal.

Hope that clarifies. [Also ESP system has yaw sensor inbuilt in vehicle , however ABS system doesn't have YAW sensor in vehicles]
vikskukreja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2015, 12:25   #90
BHPian

DO we have a list of cars with ESP which are less than 10 lac rs?

Most Viewed