Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2008, 19:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Salesman says "Saar, ABS & Airbags are not for safety" - Now both sides of the story.

This Saturday I went to Trident Hyundai at IndiraNagar to test drive i10 for a friend of mine.We were promptly given the car for test drive.And I found the car to be a nice one to drive.Anyway that's not what I want to share here.Along with the car came one "I know all" salesman,seeing his attitude I guessed that it's gonna be funny..
Anyway I was discussing the pricing of the car and then I asked him "is there any offers on the car ?"
"Saar, all hyundai cars are the best value for money cars and they priced best"..
I said," fine, may be you are true,but i10 and Getz seems overpriced if I compared to Swift.."
"Getz is much better car then swift", he barked.
"Yes,practicality wise yes,Getz has bigger space and all but swift has better engine and safer, I get stuffs like ABS and airbags for 70k less", I said..
"Ha ha ,sir do you how many people got killed because of Airbags? ABS and airbags are just enhancement features,they are not safety features.Getz has much better safety feature."
"Well boss,can you tell me what safety features are?"
"Sir,Getz has crumple zone whether Maruti cars doesn't have"..
I was like wow,what a news that was that MAruti cars comes without crumple zones.Thank God that he didn't told me that Biege interiors are safety features.I was almost laughing my heart out.

But the point is how low these people can go to push their car's sale and demean their competitor.Doesn't they have any trainings to these sales people instead of dishing out wrong information to customers ?Or is this what they are trained for ? If it was a new guy who doesn't know much about cars(like my friend) would've been easily conned by that guy to believe that ABS and airbags are not safety features and Maruti is generally unsafe cars. Is it ethical to do business this way ? I don't think so.
I tried initially to convince him that ABS and airbags are safety features and how they work but it was of no use.That guy was too adamant to even to listen to me.I just gave up and left the place.Anyway it's Trident's loss as we've decided to NOT to buy any car from that place which have such unethical practice.
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 11th May 2008, 20:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Go and meet that guy again. Invite him to be a TBHP member. He'll bless you right through his life.
Old 11th May 2008, 20:06   #3
BHPian

That was funny, strangely enough, such an incident has happened in my family too. When my dad was out to buy a car few years back, I was abroad and I told him to make sure the car has airbags (OK, u may call this the videshi effect ). To my horror, the salesmen had no idea what airbags are for, no idea about fog lights either. They said such things are a luxury and not required in India. Talk about ignorance is bliss. Salesmen are puppets that are trained to speak and vouch for the company they sell - They stop at no lenghts to convince you that their car is better. If they don't have power windows they'll tell you power windows are dangerous because the car might stall during the monsoon and you won't be able to use the windows, so it's good that our car has manual windows.

Hell, I'm sure they'd try to convince customers to buy cars without wheels - you won't drive it so there won't be any accidents sir. That's why we got no wheels

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2008 at 05:36. Reason: 2 smileys per post please.
Old 11th May 2008, 20:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Go and meet that guy again. Invite him to be a TBHP member. He'll bless you right through his life.
But there's also something in the archives about pearls before swine........
Old 11th May 2008, 20:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha I would've if he have the slightest inclination to learn something different then what he was taught.He was too adamant too listen to my viewpoint.
Actually if I talk to someone who has interest in cars then the next thing I ask is whether he is a member of T-bhp and tell that person to visit the forum if he/she is not.
Regards,
Kaushik
Old 11th May 2008, 21:03   #6
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Sir,Getz has crumple zone whether Maruti cars doesn't have
Go to meet him again and ask for the demo.Today when my brother was testing Skoda and salesman told him that this car is bright in features and its engine will fall down on road in accident event and will save you,I was sitting on back side and said can you show me a demo for it?He then stopped and did not spoke a single word till the try ended.
ECM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2008, 21:14   #7
BHPian

Same with Standard Mangalore

My Uncle was buying santro From Standard Hyundai Mangalore,and After the test drive,While booking the car we wanted optional ABS fitted in it,And to our horror we were informed ABS was not available in Santro. Actually we were in for Santro for It had ABS over Wagon R.After arguing with them for some time we left.
The next day we receive a call saying that it is available on special order and had to wait for a month,we agreed on that.

And Guys Our Santro was the First to come out with ABS in Mangalore,No wonder how they didn't know about ABS Santro
Old 11th May 2008, 21:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
..and its engine will fall down on road in accident event and will save you,I
That's probably to prevent the possibility of a hit & run situation!
Old 11th May 2008, 21:54   #9
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure? Do we really need people who will advise others that ABS/Airbags are not safety features and beige interiors, being bright and visible from far, are safety features.

As kaushik pointed out, the salesman was too adamant to listen to his views. So i dont expect him to read the forums and learn something.
Old 11th May 2008, 22:06   #10

Yesterday me and my friend had gone to Hyundai Plaza, Mathura Road to get our Elantra Serviced. while we were waiting for service being done, we gone to Next door Hyundai Plaza Sales showroom there. We asked for Sonata Embera test ride to which the sales man agreed and took us to his kalindi kunj warehouse where they had kept their Manual version. while we were taking test ride, i asked him what is the kerb weight of this car to which he replied sir its 2.0 litre , i said boss i am asking weight of the car. he quite for a while then ask me to open the dash board and take out company product manual and told me its weight looking into that book.
then my friend asked him is ESP present in this car? to which he promptly replied while looking into our eyes, Sir what is ESP? i said never mind we will look in Hyundai website and will feature out what all is present in this car.
we took the test ride and came back home laughing on his stupidity and ill-knowledge about the product (17 lakh) he was trying to sell us.
it would be wise on company's part to atleast train its sales people to some pretext or send knowledgeable persons on test drive.
what a pity.
Old 12th May 2008, 05:51   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Are you sure? Do we really need people who will advise others that ABS/Airbags are not safety features and beige interiors, being bright and visible from far, are safety features.
Ofcourse we do!
That is one of the aims of Team-BHP - to educate the those who dont know at all, as well as those who are currently misinformed.

Certain misunderstandings are common with the masses, but all it takes is a clear explanation to show the logic behind the real truth.

cya
R

@kaushik_s : Please use spaces after punctuation marks in order to improve readability. If you are interested in discussing this further, please see this post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post715060

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2008 at 05:53.
Old 12th May 2008, 13:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. But to get a job as a car salesman, isnt there a requirement to have bare minimum knowledge of cars and its features?

Airbag's can kill if the person is not belted up. But ABS and Airbags are safety features. Wonder why the salesman thinks its a gimmick. LOL.

Last edited by n_aditya : 12th May 2008 at 13:53.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

And you know?

If it was before couple of year, I would have certainly accepted his comments. And there are people still who will accept it because we believe that the Guy is representing Hyundai car company and he knows MORE than what I do

When i bought my first Zen, I was like, Ok, everyone buy Maruti. i will also buy Maruti. Went, booked (initially 800 then changed it to) and got the Zen.
but , I think you guy know how many car I test drove this time for the next car.

Thats the effect of T-BHP. So, yes, I agree that the person has to be invited to his forum.
Old 12th May 2008, 14:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Ofcourse we do!
That is one of the aims of Team-BHP - to educate the those who dont know at all, as well as those who are currently misinformed.

Certain misunderstandings are common with the masses, but all it takes is a clear explanation to show the logic behind the real truth.
Well, next time I meet such guys I'll try to bring him here. It'll be actually good for the masses if they learn, atleast they won't dish out wrong information after they are properly educated about cars. I'll hope that they'll try to learn instead of trying to stick to their own views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
cya
R

@kaushik_s : Please use spaces after punctuation marks in order to improve readability. If you are interested in discussing this further, please see this post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post715060
OT :
Thanks sir, I'll take that into consideration from now onwards, it's a good practice. By the way, sorry to pull your leg but "cya" is also a slang and please don't mind for nit-picking.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th May 2008 at 22:48. Reason: Post edited. morons = guys. Please do not personally attack members or non-members.
kaushik_s is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 12th May 2008, 15:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

You should have told him if it is not safety features , why does hyundai even offer it and why is it mentioned under safety in the brochure and the website.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed