Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2022, 19:02   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: International Road Accidents

EV's on fire.

Paris suspends Bolloré electric buses after two catch fire.

Quote:
Dozens of electric buses will be taken off the streets of Paris temporarily "as a precaution" after two of the vehicles caught fire
Quote:
The number 71 bus that caught fire in southeast Paris early Friday released thick clouds of black smoke and a strong smell of burning plastic
Quote:
The bus driver immediately evacuated all the passengers. Nobody was hurt

Link
Old 29th May 2022, 17:58   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
.....Same is applicable for our fellow Indians as well......
More so I'd say. And not just road accident fatalities. Stabbings, fatal shootings - I'm seeing this on local news channels. No police to pull up this morbid curiosity, unfortunately. This craze with cell-phone photography seems to be de-humanizing us.
Old 1st July 2022, 13:12   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

A Lamborghini Urus owned by actor, writer, director Ben Affleck was involved in an accident. At the driver's seat was Samuel, his 10 year old son. The car was parked near 777 Exotics, a luxury car rental service in Beverly Hills where Ben, Jennifer Lopez (her legs were insured for 30 million dollars about two decades back) and the ten year old had arrived. Affleck had kept the Urus' engine on after parking it and his son hopped into the driver's seat. Soon the little one put the car in reverse gear and it hit a BMW parked just behind it. Affleck comforted his son after the incident. There were no major damages.

Given the fact that the incident took place in a plush locale with a luxury SUV involving high profile people it has generated good publicity.

In tight parking spots such incidents do happen (rarely with a 10 year old though) and had it taken place between a Maruti Swift and a Hyundai i10 Grand owned by two commoners in some Tier II or III Indian city, hardly five to ten people would have noticed.

https://www.cartoq.com/hollywood-act...bmw-video/amp/

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st July 2022 at 13:19.
Old 13th September 2022, 14:54   #139
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

This is an extremely distressing video about a man who tried to start a car standing in front of it after it broke down. He got crushed between the car and a shutter which the lady opened in panic.

The original tweet about this video says it's an automatic car but no idea what actually happened.

Last edited by CarNerd : 13th September 2022 at 15:00.
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 15:40   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
... a man who tried to start a car standing in front of it after it broke down. He got crushed between the car and a shutter ...
I don't think I'll watch the video! But...

It doesn't matter whether a car is automatic or manual, if one contrives to turn over the starter motor with the car in gear (Automatics actually have more safety features) it will move forward. If we do this under the bonnet, then... plainly, better not be standing in front of it.

When I see something like this, I think "sheer stupidity." But then I remember I can be stupid too.

In my youth, inside the engine compartment, there was a unit with a button. Press it and the starter motor runs. (I think my Dad called it the solenoid?). Very easy; all too easy. I don't think there is an equivalent in modern vehicles. So how could he have done it?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 21:36   #141
BHPian

I was driving towards Kathmandu earlier this afternoon. This happened on BP Highway which connects Kathmandu to central Nepal. The Highway from Bardibas to Kathmandu is around 180km but has thousands of bends. My Dashcam recorded this video.

amitjha086 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 22:42   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
I was driving towards Kathmandu earlier this afternoon. This happened on BP Highway which connects Kathmandu to central Nepal. The Highway from Bardibas to Kathmandu is around 180km but has thousands of bends. My Dashcam recorded this video.

https://Youtu.be/TWm5M-k2GGk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
This does not make him responsible for the idiot coming suddenly from the blind spot immediately behind the oncoming bus.

On top of all the other lessons mentioned by others, is the bad habit of treating immediately behind (tailgating, in fact) as the position from which to overtake. This is common in drivers of cars, bikes and others. It is especially a big no-no when there is no visibility through a large vehicle.

The biker is moving out into the unknown, and it turned lethal. How stupid is that, when, from further behind, he could have moved slightly right to check the oncoming traffic etc. From that position he could have got out of the way and would be alive.

This, coupled with the completely ignorant failure to see a vehicle moving out of its line and ask himself why ended his young life.

Those are the two most salient points, according to me. Other things, including the faulty driving of others, are the incidental things.
Mr.Thad E Ginathom's observation about another accident a few week back sums up this accident too.
1. Bike rider tailgating.
2. Bike rider overtaking suddenly emerging from blindspot.

Had the bike rider not been tailgating, he would have had ample distance to glance at what's coming ahead. Instead he was tailgating and had no time or space to react to the oncoming van.
Arwin07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2022, 22:42   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
What happened after the video ends? Did he argue with the van driver, or apologise, or simply went on his way?
rajivr1612 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 06:27   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
What happened after the video ends? Did he argue with the van driver, or apologise, or simply went on his way?
It's a very busy route. And because it was the end of festive season, the road was busier. Thousands of Toyota Hiace and Tata Winger ply on this road.

I went ahead and stopped for a bit thinking to hand the van driver this video. But there was a queue behind me and the road is very narrow. During my half for some 30 secs at the site, I heard and saw other van drivers behind me coming to support the van driver meeting with accident. No way the biker was in position to argue. Still, larger vehicles are implicated in accidents. I'll see if there are any face book group for them where I could share this video.
amitjha086 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 01:43   #145
BHPian

Tesla losing control when driver was trying to park in Chaozho China, killing 2 and injuring 3 people.

More info: The driver Mr. Zhan said when he was attempting to park his Tesla, the brake pedal went too hard to push and pressing P mode also didn’t help. The car kept accelerating while Zhan desperately hitting the brakes but to no avail. Cctv camera caught the brake light went on for a moment yet the car didn’t slow down. One of the front tires exploded after the car drove off for 1.2 kilometers and it finally came to a stop after another 1.4 kms, hitting multiple vehicles, killing 2 and injuring 3. The driver suffered several broken ribs but has been in stable condition. On the other hand, Tesla promptly claimed that the driver never hit the brakes (as they always do after such incidents). Police confirmed Mr. Zhan was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs and are still investigating the case. [from - r/catastrophic failure]

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202211/1279388.shtml
m3t4ph0r1c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 10:31   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3t4ph0r1c View Post
Tesla losing control when driver was trying to park in Chaozho China, killing 2 and injuring 3 people.
While this could be a corner case, however this compels us to relook at automation and where are we really headed? I would rather be in control of my car than the other way round!!
Old 14th November 2022, 11:32   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
While this could be a corner case, however this compels us to relook at automation and where are we really headed? I would rather be in control of my car than the other way round!!
A corner case from another corner of the world (Paris) :
Old 4th January 2023, 18:17   #148
BHPian

Mods : Kindly move / delete if this is off topic to this forum.

Tesla Plunges into the cliff (not the stocks, a car)

Makes me belive in miracles.

https://twitter.com/scottbudman/stat...VywCfczLQ&s=19
Attached Thumbnails
International Road Accidents-img_20230104_180714.jpg  

Old 4th January 2023, 18:41   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Mods : Kindly move / delete if this is off topic to this forum.

Makes me belive in miracles.

https://twitter.com/scottbudman/stat...VywCfczLQ&s=19
Apparently the driver was NRI, he has been arrested as police suspect he deliberately drove the car off the cliff in an attempted murder-suicide.
Old 4th January 2023, 19:24   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
If other media reports are to be believed - it was an intentional act

https://www.ndtv.com/indians-abroad/...s-cops-3662264

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks