Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2020, 06:14   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: International Road Accidents

A terrible accident at Hallandale Beach, Florida resulted in a Tesla X having its rear completely ripped away. The Tesla ended up in 2 pieces after it was rammed by a Nissan GTR which jumped a red light. There was collateral damage to a Mustang and a Golf too. This video captures the horrific aftermath of this accident.

As per news report the driver of the Tesla X had only minor injuries to the legs. The driver and passenger of the GTR have been admitted in hospital with injuries.
News link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/te...slams-into-it/

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd January 2020 at 08:30. Reason: Typo corrected
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:14   #62
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a rough neighbourhood judging by the general demeanour of the people.
Cant help notice that police all over the world react to such incidents with their two standard , time-honoured questions:
i) Did you witness this?
2) ID/License please ?

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 23rd January 2020 at 07:16.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 16:19   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Car flies off mountain after crashing at 185 kmph, rally driver survives horrifying smash
https://www.timesnownews.com/the-buz...g-smash/545206

Quote:
A champion rally driver cheated death after his car flipped off a snowy mountain in Monte Carlo at 185 kmph on Friday. Ott Tanak survived the dramatic crash which was captured on camera.

A video of the crash shows bystanders getting astonished as Tanak's car flipped sideways and flew over the mountain road. Tanak was driving in the Alps in France when his car left the road and hit a bump that made it fly into the air sideways.

Video Credit: FIA World Rally Championship
chaturgaurav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 13:50   #64
Senior - BHPian

A pile up of more than 20 vehicles in Saudi Arabia. The news item does not state the reason for the crash. There were no casualties. It looks to be high speed as cars have climbed over each other. It also appears to be predominantly on one lane.

News link: http://www.gdnonline.com/Details/760504
I've noticed that fatalities in pile ups in the west are very less. Is this also true in the gulf? In India the fatalities seem higher. (Or am i imagining?!)
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 20:15   #65
Senior - BHPian

South LA. A BMW gets smashed by a train as the driver of the BMW turns into a railway crossing ignoring the closed gates.

As per official reports, the driver escaped with minor injuries. I wonder how he even survived this massive side impact. The photo of the car after the crash is terribly scary!
International Road Accidents-esrhufeumaeltxj.jpeg
News source: https://ktla.com/news/dramatic-video...in-long-beach/
BenjiRoss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 18:53   #66
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Not from India. Lock down effects - Flying Swift

International Road Accidents-swift.jpg

[]%7D&s=AWVDwfXqTlqj5jR6
Sarvodaya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:18   #67
BHPian

Came across this news article with a video link. Although this happened in Poland, look at the way our Desi Swift has been squashed . I used to assume that maruti export quality and safety ratings are slightly better than what they offer us here. But I guess it is true only on paper. Thank God that the driver is alive after this massive crash.

Not able to put the video here via my phone. Mods - please help if we need to paste the video link directly.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...921860336.html

Last edited by ShankarG : 15th April 2020 at 14:19.
ShankarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 01:32   #68
BANNED

Though not from India. Thank god no one's hurt, neither the driver nor any one on the road, no other vehicles were damaged except for her car. Must be one lucky lady to not get hurt and to not hurt anyone. Can anyone believe that the lady sitting in the car was the lady who had been through that accident!

Post accident video: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00002842884911

International Road Accidents-whatsapp-image-20200426-01.19.10.jpeg
wheelguy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 11:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

Though I wouldn't call it an accident but stupidity.

Attempting to drive through a flooded road in an expensive supercar is never a good idea, as the driver of this McLaren 600LT found out the hard way. The McLaren 600LT was built to set blistering lap times on the race track, not wade through deep water.

Instead of using common sense, the driver of a McLaren 600LT attempts to follow a pickup truck through the flooded road. With its low ride height, this was never going to go well.It doesn't take very long before the McLaren 600LT appears to hydroplane, causing it to get submerged in the deeper water before getting stuck on a muddy embankment.

With water flooding the McLaren 600LT's mid-mounted 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 engine, it wouldn't be surprising if the damage to the 592-hp supercar was terminal, effectively pouring a couple of hundred thousand dollars down the drain.

Old 5th May 2020, 20:33   #70
BHPian

A smashed Range Rover

International Road Accidents-rover_01.jpg

International Road Accidents-rover_02.jpg

International Road Accidents-rover_03.jpg

Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 13:52   #71
Senior - BHPian

The video of the above crash and the aftermath are scary. The driver and passenger were thieves who had used a cloned key to steal the Range Rover.

They both survived the crash!
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 15:42   #72
Senior - BHPian

a surveillance footage has captured the moment a Tesla vehicle, allegedly operating on Autopilot, crashed into an overturned truck in Taiwan early Monday morning. CCTV cameras captured the Tesla Model 3 failing to stop for an overturned truck and slamming right into it on a highway. According to Taiwan English News, the driver of the Tesla, said that his car was in Autopilot mode and travelling at around 110 kilometers per hour at the time of the accident.

Despite the front head-on collision into a stationary box truck while slowing from highway speeds, the Model 3's airbags did not even deploy.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...ilot-accident/

Attached Thumbnails
International Road Accidents-t1.jpg  

International Road Accidents-t2.jpg  

International Road Accidents-t3.jpg  

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 4th June 2020 at 15:48.
RM Motorsports is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 14:10   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
a surveillance footage has captured the moment a Tesla vehicle, allegedly operating on Autopilot, crashed into an overturned truck in Taiwan early Monday morning. CCTV cameras captured the Tesla Model 3 failing to stop for an overturned truck and slamming right into it on a highway. According to Taiwan English News, the driver of the Tesla, said that his car was in Autopilot mode and travelling at around 110 kilometers per hour at the time of the accident.

Despite the front head-on collision into a stationary box truck while slowing from highway speeds, the Model 3's airbags did not even deploy.
Unfortunate incident, but by the video it is evident that the driver had more than enough time to brake and perform an evasive manoeuvre. Technology in the hands of wrong people will always look bad. Too distracted by the phone or the massive screen in the Tesla. Yes, technology did not help in braking in time but if you are not paying attention on the road and cannot spot an object as big as a massive truck turned on its side, I am sorry one should not be allowed to drive.
aghate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 14:35   #74
J4J
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
a surveillance footage has captured the moment a Tesla vehicle, allegedly operating on Autopilot, crashed into an overturned truck in Taiwan early Monday morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Unfortunate incident, but by the video it is evident that the driver had more than enough time to brake and perform an evasive manoeuvre. Technology in the hands of wrong people will always look bad.
While I agree that the driver did have enough time to brake, but what shocks me the most is that there may be a bug hidden in the auto pilot for a long time.

I remember discussing with my professor about the Tesla accident in 2016.
A few links of the news:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/tragic-loss
https://www.businessinsider.in/finan...w/59238933.cms

Back in 2016, there was a similar accident. Some points that are common to both of these accidents:
  • White container truck.
  • Sunny day
  • The truck is perpendicular to the road.
  • Autopilot failed to detect it.

Now after 4 years if similar thing happens then it indeed is quite worrying. Was this a software bug that did not get rectified on time?

Last edited by J4J : 5th June 2020 at 14:37. Reason: improve readability
J4J is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 17:47   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4J View Post
Back in 2016, there was a similar accident. Some points that are common to both of these accidents:
  • White container truck.
  • Sunny day
  • The truck is perpendicular to the road.
  • Autopilot failed to detect it.

Now after 4 years if similar thing happens then it indeed is quite worrying. Was this a software bug that did not get rectified on time?
Thank you for the links, and yes there are similarities with the vehicle positioning and the colour and weather. I am not sure if it is a technological limitation or a bug. If it is indeed a Bug then Tesla are probably aware of it and there is some technological limitation that is stopping them from resolving it. This will/has certainly raise concerns with the reliability of the Auto-pilot. I personally would not leave total authority with the vehicle even if the Auto-pilot is engaged. I always find it comfortable to have a human intervention/override available in emergency situations.

The last thing I would want is the car being in total control and me being at the mercy of the AI in it. Like the one depicted in the movie 'I, Robot' where the AI thinks it is better to save humans by controlling them than the other way around.
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed