Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 21:13   #1
BHPian

People Negotiating Roundabouts in India

Here in bangalore i see many people using roundabouts as shown along the potentially dangerous red line. It can be even scarier when the person along the red line dosen't even slow down, which i experienced last week as i almost banged a guy in an indica.
Attached Thumbnails
People Negotiating Roundabouts in India-img1.jpg  

Old 4th June 2008, 22:48   #2
BANNED

I think you meant when they are going north in this map.
You are right and the only option is time your turn to take that into account!
Old 4th June 2008, 23:00   #3
BANNED

Its the case when people move from sparse traffic (where one vehicle passes every minute) to dense traffic (where many vehicles pass in a second).

They can get away in sparse traffic but cause nuisance in dense traffic.

They need to discover that they are in city, not in a village. Till they their discovery
Old 5th June 2008, 01:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

When negotiating a round about, one is supposed to actually go around it. The etiquette all over the world is to give way to traffic or car/s that have already begun negotiating the round about. In India its the other way round. When both parties come to know of the others presence, it becomes a free for all. Who will get there faster and that leads to accidents. If only we were more patient.
Old 5th June 2008, 06:43   #5
rippergeo

last month, was taking the green line around the roundabout. i had just overtaken 2 amby taxis and a cochin airport jeep before the roundabout.

I was fully expecting the 3 morons to take the red line, but they were not expecting me to take a U turn.

I timed it well, and glided through the gap between the jeep that was leading and the 1st amby taxi.
the 2 ambys didnt expect me.
1st one slams the brakes. 2nd one doesnt. satisfying crunch and tinkle of glass heard.didnt wait to get involved.
maybe, they will start following the rules now?

Old 5th June 2008, 09:57   #6
Team-BHP Support

Mods: Do we need to merge this thread?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ople-turn.html
Old 5th June 2008, 10:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

I met one such moron in the morning today who was constantly trying to overtake, change lanes and then took this kind of a turn on a roundabout, I wanted to drive parallel to him and tell him 'whats the hurry', but then backed out not willing to spoil my early morning mood.

The last I saw him, he was way behind me stuck in the left lane behind a mini-truck.

Most roundabouts in bangalore are no bigger than truck tyres which makes these bright people turn like this. IMO, bangalore is in dire need of traffic light at every crossing, big or small and road dividers too.

Last edited by dadu : 5th June 2008 at 10:08.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:19   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Right of way belongs to the person already *inside* the roundabout; sadly, very few people are aware of this or follow this. On a related note, there are hardly any roundabouts left in Mumbai. Either they have been flown over (flyovers ) or have been converted to regular junctions. The Haji Ali & Lokhadwala ex-roundabouts are two that come immediately to mind.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:32   #9
SuperSyn

I have observed that people "cut" the cicle in many cities, but mostly during early mornings or late at night. This can be *very* dangerous as any other traffic coming from opposite side will never expect a vehicle to suddenly present itself in front of them.

Most of the vehicles that indulge in this type of stunts are either rural / ganwar Mahindra jeep drivers, or private taxi types. Also, I once saw a newspaper hawker do this, but he was on a bicycle.

Old 5th June 2008, 10:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

There are still big circles (round abouts) in my area which even the BEST buses don't follow! To top it all, their heights have been raised so that to avoid accidents! The result, more accidents as one cannot see if someone if cutting through a round about or coming from the other direction. I feel that such people really need to be involved into a "minor" crash to learn there lesson.

OT: I see people balancing their helmets with 1 hand and riding with the other. What's the problem in strapping it properly? Today morning there was this nice lady, trying to balance her helmet at 1 point and her skirt at the other while riding with just one hand in strong winds. All I would say is she was lucky enough not to fall.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Here in bangalore i see many people using roundabouts as shown along the potentially dangerous red line. It can be even scarier when the person along the red line dosen't even slow down, which i experienced last week as i almost banged a guy in an indica.
I got the spirit of what you are saying, but could not exactly figure out where the red guy was going--was he turning left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
last month, was taking the green line around the roundabout. i had just overtaken 2 amby taxis and a cochin airport jeep before the roundabout.

I was fully expecting the 3 morons to take the red line, but they were not expecting me to take a U turn.

I timed it well, and glided through the gap between the jeep that was leading and the 1st amby taxi.
the 2 ambys didnt expect me.
1st one slams the brakes. 2nd one doesnt. satisfying crunch and tinkle of glass heard.didnt wait to get involved.
maybe, they will start following the rules now?
If you already overtook two Ambys and a Jeep, how did you get behind the Jeep again?
Old 5th June 2008, 11:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I got the spirit of what you are saying, but could not exactly figure out where the red guy was going--was he turning left?
I think this is what blip was trying to depict.
People Negotiating Roundabouts in India-img1.jpg
Quote:
If you already overtook two Ambys and a Jeep, how did you get behind the Jeep again?
blip was following the green line while the jeep was following the red line. so blip met the jeep again after completing the roundabout.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:22   #13
SuperSyn

Uh...

Seems like we are discussing two issues at once, to illustrate what I am talking about...behold this five minute MS Paint atrocity in all its glory:
Attached Images

Old 5th June 2008, 11:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I was talking of the case when one is on the green line heading east.
After completing the turn and now eastbound one generally tends to step on the gas a little and suddenly you see people following on the red path in front of you ,leaving you wondering where this guy came from
Old 5th June 2008, 11:47   #15
rippergeo

Quote:
I overtook the three,including the jeep which was in front of the 2 ambys.
then took the green/correct/longer route around the roundabout, which allowed the 3 vehicles to catch up.

I let the jeep pass as he cut across my lane through the red/short/illegal route, then got in between the jeep and the 1st amby to continue on my journey.

the 2 ambys who were on the red/illegal route did not expect someone to follow the rules, were surprised, and crashed.

supersyn's pic is quite useful.

have I confused you further?

Last edited by rippergeo : 5th June 2008 at 11:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks