Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 14:33   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pune to Jammu with a 2 month old baby.. Help required

Bombay to Patiala with a 2 month old has been done before. Please refer that thread for some very good advice on how to travel with a very young child.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 14:38   #32
BHPian

Thanks Parag.. I always drive with windows rolled up and AC on. Any pointers on where I can get a 12V bottle warmer from in pune. Also do you have a recommendation for the baby car seat and how much time did it take for you to cover 850 kms. Plus should I not be waking up the baby to feed him every 2 hours. My wife is going to sit on the back seat almost all the time with the baby in the car seat and take him out every 3 hours for him to play as it is not recommended to have the baby in the car seat for a longer duration.
Old 27th August 2014, 14:42   #33
Team-BHP Support

All the best. This is something I would not attempt and I would suggest you rethink alternatives like baby and mom flying down instead.

If you have no choice:
1. Child Seat is very important.
2. Mom and kid are in the rear and mom is also belted in. Otherwise if there is an accident the mother will crash into the baby.
3. If you have an accident the unrestrained dog will be a projectile. Pray that it does not crash into the baby.
4. If baby is on mom's milk, then feeding is simple and easy.
5. Roll down windows once in a while. The car will be dry otherwise.
6. Protect baby from the sun. If direct sunlight is falling on the baby, it will cause serious sun burn overtime.
7. Use a sanitizer before touching the baby.
8. DO NOT THROW USED DIAPERS on the roads.
9. RETHINK AGAIN.

My son did his first long trip at at around 10 months of age. We had a LOT of fun driving from Hyderabad -> Chennai -> Ooty -> Bangalore -> Hyderabad.

But 2 months is simply too young.
Any baby not on solids is IMHO too young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidrahul View Post
Thanks Parag.. I always drive with windows rolled up and AC on. Any pointers on where I can get a 12V bottle warmer from in pune. Also do you have a recommendation for the baby car seat and how much time did it take for you to cover 850 kms. Plus should I not be waking up the baby to feed him every 2 hours. My wife is going to sit on the back seat almost all the time with the baby in the car seat and take him out every 3 hours for him to play as it is not recommended to have the baby in the car seat for a longer duration.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...bies-kids.html

Best is baby on mom's milk. That way there is no need to bother about hot bottles and hot water.
For my kids I have used a high quality thermos filled with boiling hot water.
The water stays hot for almost 24 hours in these.
Not sure of the brand but you can check some local stores.
Keep two as backup.

Last edited by bblost : 27th August 2014 at 14:47.
bblost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 14:55   #34
BHPian

You will certainly have your hands full with an infant and a dog in the same car. I remember a pediatric advised me of avoiding long journeys until the infant is 3 months old (even a Delhi-Bangalore flight). Can't comment on the merit/demerit of his advise. But if you need to travel (by road), above recommendations sound pretty good.
BBR_SHR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 14:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Your son will be mostly sleeping as he is just two months old. As mentioned above, drive like an automatic and strict no for zig zag driving.

Control the ac so that its not too cold inside and the air don't flow directly on baby. Keep sufficient pillows which will support mom and baby. You may use towels on windows in case its too bright outside.

Don't use wet diapers for long, use diaper rash creams, if required. Consult your doctor and carry all medicines especially nasal drops, if there is a congestion.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 15:01   #36
BHPian

Dear rapidrahul, please re-consider. 2 months is a very young age to do such a long road travel. The child is yet to have strong neck, and I would be worried if I were in your place, because, even if I consider myself as a very good driver, many things can go wrong on the road which might coming from other road users. My son's first long road travel was 650 Kms at age of 5 months, with frequent stops every 100 kms.
Old 27th August 2014, 15:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to take a road trip come this October with my wife, a 2 month old baby and a lhasa apso. I've travelled this route thrice now but this will be first time with the kid and that too at such a young age. Would like to have your inputs on the road conditions and some inputs on travelling with such a small child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
All the best. This is something I would not attempt and I would suggest you rethink alternatives like baby and mom flying down instead.

9. RETHINK AGAIN.

My son did his first long trip at at around 10 months of age. We had a LOT of fun driving from Hyderabad -> Chennai -> Ooty -> Bangalore -> Hyderabad.

But 2 months is simply too young.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon81 View Post
Dear rapidrahul, please re-consider. 2 months is a very young age to do such a long road travel.
Having a 10 month old daughter and having done a relatively simpler drive from Delhi to Jaipur (1 month ago) and very recently to Chandigarh - I concur with the views above that you should reconsider taking such a young baby on a really long drive.

The baby will also get tired / stressed out with so much of vehicle movement.

Do this drive with baby if you must but only if it is a compulsion. As suggested - send the mother and the baby through flight. Safe, efficient and any day better than going by the road.
Old 27th August 2014, 15:54   #38
BHPian

I would agree with @horizon81 its just not worth the risk on Indian roads & traffic conditions unless the trip is so critical for you. I took my daughter on intercity roadtrips only after 6 months until then only air or train.
Old 27th August 2014, 16:30   #39
BHPian

Flights are highly expensive that time of the year( checked to and fro for 2 is 45 to 50k). Trains are all booked. I know there is always an option but I have to go home.
Old 27th August 2014, 16:53   #40
BHPian

Like everyone else has mentioned, please try and avoid this road trip if you can. Do it if this is the only option you have and is a necessity - for some reason or the other.
Don't do this as a fun roadtrip or an adventure.

We did many MAA-BLR-MAA trips starting when our daughter was a few months old. We did this only when we had no other option.
Old 27th August 2014, 17:14   #41
BHPian

+1 to Kaumad.

If your finances allow 25K and if your wife can manage the child alone, please consider sending them alone by flight. You can then have a comparatively peaceful drive home with your pet. Your wife also needs almost the same attention and care as your child, at this stage.
Horizon81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 18:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure here. Is your child newborn, and will be making the travel at 2 months, or will it be around 4 months at the time of travel? Just want to confirm.

Daksh was 4.5 months old when he took his first road trip - he enjoyed himself well and so did we. There are only two things - support for the mother (we had a relative with us), and caring for the child will be tough for the mother over that distance. I would say, send them by train - I personally don't think sending 2 month old babies by air is itself that safe given the pressure changes and their inability to communicate.

Personally I don't think day or night matters much - Daksh was an angel at that time. He did nothing except smile, get fed, crap and sleep. Now we schedule as much of our travels during the night because during the day he gets really bored and is a headache to contain in the car for long durations.

I fly every week and still there's that occasional day when the ear pressure doesn't fully equalize on landing. Why take a chance with a two month old?
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 18:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Would like to have your inputs on the road conditions and some inputs on travelling with such a small child.
Route is not a problem and I know it almost by heart now. my only concern is the baby and the section from Abohar to pathankot.
Appreciate your inputs on this.
I've traveled extensively with my daughter since she was 2 months old, and its always been the car. If you practice safe driving and make sure that the baby is strapped in properly, then everything should be good.

- Make sure your car is in proper shape to take the travel, the last thing you want is a breakdown with a baby onboard.
- Get a comfortable rear facing seat for the baby and get the baby used to it prior to the travel.
- The baby will mostly sleep in a moving car, this is a good thing if it happens. But if not, keep talking to the baby and entertain.
- You may not need to wake the baby every 2 hours for feeding, they will get up by default when they're hungry. Check with your doctor though, we used to let her give us signals when she needs a feed.
- Keep the music going in the car at a decent volume level. If you get the baby used to silence in order to sleep, then they will wake up at every noise that comes.
- One of the critical things to do is to make sure you burp the baby after every feed. And this should be #1 priority else they can get hit with colic which is absolutely painful to see. We've experienced it and though it isn't a serious medical condition, the crying is what puts you in a panic mode. A dose of Colicaid used to work for us, but make sure you consult your doctor and get a medicine prescribed for colic pain, just in case. If you're feeding every 2 hours, then take a break after every 4 hours at least to burp the baby - fresh air helps.
- Listen to the baby, they will tell you whether they're okay or not. If there is excessive or prolonged crying, then don't hesitate to halt or even abort the mission in the worst case.
- Keep the A/C going and have a light shawl or blanket to cover the baby, don't make it too warm. Remember that babies don't feel any more colder than you, so if you'd feel uncomfortable in a sweater at 24 Deg C, most likely your baby is feeling the same too.
- Tell your pediatric about the trip and let them know that you may call in case of any trouble. Same thing with your vet since you're traveling with your doggy.
- I'm not sure how well adapted the baby is going to be with the dog in the car, but I'm hoping that the baby will be used to the dog barking etc. Also, I'm not sure if the doggy will be able to take the travel with A/C full-time. So please check on how to travel with dogs - I have no advise for you in this department. Alternately, you could use a kennel service unless the doggy has some agenda for the trip.
- I won't give you any route advise since you've done this many times, but just have backup and escape plans in mind for contingencies.

Safe travels!
amolpol is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 18:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

I haven't personally done this sort of distance. I did a 1500 km round trip with a 1 year old. With a 2 month old (which do it when you have no other way), here's what I would suggest:

- Your travel will take a day or 2 longer than you previously did. While most have covered the child part, your wife also might not have the same strength to travel in 2 months after childbirth.
- Availability of food for the mother. As much possible carry food for your wife. As what she eats affects the kid when she feeds.
- If possible leave your pet with someone home. You'll already have your hands full with the kid. Having a pet is going to further limit your options of stay and increase your number of stops.
- If possibly you could take a day trip nearby and see how everyone is able to manage and then take a decision based on that.
Old 27th August 2014, 18:50   #45
BHPian

Thanks Amol and Narayan.. My dog has done this trip with us thrice so he is accustomed to it and his schedule matches mine. He is a calm dog and doesn't bark while in the car plus d kid is already accustomed to him as he is always around in the house. Am going to buy a car seat and take the boy for a small ride and see how he reacts..
I don't leave my dog as he is a part of my family and he goes where we go.. He enjoyed his stay at Amet Haveli in udaipur last time we were on the road.
rapidrahul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed