Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 15:09   #61
BANNED

Re: Travelling with an Infant

Here are some tips for a safe trip while travelling with an infant in a car:-
1.Since your baby will be facing the back seat, place colourful pictures on the seat to
provide something to look at.
2.Dress your baby in comfortable clothes. This will make it easier for you to change a
diaper.
3.Use a window shade to block the sun from shining on your baby’s face.
4.Play relaxing music in the car.
5.Try to follow your baby’s regular feeding schedule.
6.Dress your baby in clothes that cover the body. New-borns have delicate skin that can
easily burn.
7.When you have reached your destination, if possible, have your traveling companion
drop you and your baby off at the door. Remember to set up a place to meet with your
companion when the car is parked.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 23:50   #62
BHPian

Baby arrived 2.5 months ago. 1st long car trip was within 20 days of life. 500 km Bangalore Kerala. So far has done at least 1300 km in total. Some observations and queries:

1. Finding it difficult to manage a comfortable temperature for the baby. Needs to be really cold in the car for baby not to be sweaty. Set temp much lower that what you would. Especially in the summers. (My 4 th gen Honda city has pathetic rear AC vents)

2. Car seats are such a help. We have a rear facing imported one that she falls asleep soon after getting into.

3. Allow at least 1.5 times the amount of time usually required for the trip by others.

4. Make sure the mother is as comfortable as possible. If spouse can drive then take turns driving and taking care of the baby.

5. Use petrol pumps and highway restaurants for breast feeding and diaper changing sessions. Stopping on the roadside anywhere not advisable.

6. Might have to take longish breaks at times, it’s completely ok. Infants need time outside after feeding and burping. Use the same stop to change diapers and clothes too
vandemanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 08:53   #63
BHPian

My boy is 3+ months old. Hates dark & closed spaces. It takes him all of 2 mins to start screaming after we begin the journey.

We did Mysuru<--> Blr last weekend. Despite the good roads and car, it was tough. He's too young for a baby seat, so we switched between a mini bassinet, lap & feeding pillow. I guess the loud horns and occasional bad roads do not agree with him. I hope Modi fixes this sooner. We used to do 2 vacations in a month and now ...........
Old 10th November 2022, 14:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
My boy is 3+ months old. Hates dark & closed spaces. It takes him all of 2 mins to start screaming after we begin the journey.

We did Mysuru<--> Blr last weekend. Despite the good roads and car, it was tough. He's too young for a baby seat, so we switched between a mini bassinet, lap & feeding pillow. I guess the loud horns and occasional bad roads do not agree with him. I hope Modi fixes this sooner. We used to do 2 vacations in a month and now ...........
Apologies for what might sound like condescending advice, but no baby is too young for a car seat. Mine travelled in a car seat right from the time she was born till date and there has not been any problem. So, request you to get the appropriate car seat.
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 09:00   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
So, request you to get the appropriate car seat.
I fully agree with this. No baby is too young for the car seat. Mine came home from the hospital after delivery in a car seat. You just have to get them used to it from the very beginning. Few pointers:

1. Buy infant car seats which can double up as carry cots. Avoid the car seats that can be used from infants to 10 years, since carry cot functionality isn’t there. These infant car seats are cheaper, lighter and more useful. Once 15 months old then invest in a car seat that can be used till age 10.

2. To get the baby used to the car seat, use it for even short 10 min drives within the city. The babies in my family all have car seats, and have had no problem so far.

3. Infants sleep most of the time- especially below 6 months. Plan your journeys while they sleep.

Last edited by vandemanw : 13th November 2022 at 09:01. Reason: Edited to be concise
vandemanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 10:00   #66

Hello all, we are planning a Hyd to Blr road trip with my two 7-month babies in XL6. We have two of the below carry cot cum car seats that the babies are relatively comfortable in. We used them for city trips and also just to make them sit in it for a while at home.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How true is the 2-hour car seat guidance ? The longest we've had them in the car seat was for 3 hours in city running errands. There is some content on the internet about how sitting for longer than 2 hours can be harmful. Is that just being too cautious? Is it safe enough to take cues from the babies and just ensure they are in a proper and comfortable position whether awake or sleeping? Of course will be taking breaks every 2-3 hours.

Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks