Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 19:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Travelling with an Infant

I searched Team-BHP for advice regarding travelling long journeys along with infant. I could not find one in forum.

What is the best possible way to travel long journeys when two adults (Mostly husband & wife) & a kid are there in car?

Since, Kid cannot sit on seat along with co-passenger on highways, due to safety reasons. Only choice is there he/she should be there in back seat.

What are the precautions one should take before embarking for long journey?

Wouldn't you feel that child seat is not appropriate for naughty indian kids, that too for long journey? They cannot sit for more time tied with seat belts.

PS: My son is 2 years and 8 months old and he is very naughty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I travel with my 2 daughters aged 6 and 10. We face a similar challenge as yours. My take and solution is as below:

It is a road trip. Enjoy the road.
No reading in the car.
No playing board games in the car.
No watching videos or playing video games in the car.

Having said this, what we do to keep engaged as a family is as follows:

We observe and talk about the change in vegetation as we cross states.
We observe and talk about the change in terrain and soil as we drive.
We talk about the farm activities we see.
We stop and step in the farms to interact with the farmers and see the crops closely. We have plucked sunflowers, waded through rice fields, plucked cotton pods, had self plucked corn on the cob (bhutta) in a farm and many more such things.
We talk about the various irrigation facilities and observe the ponds, lakes, rivulets, rivers, canals, etc.
We play word games (many available on net)
We play antakshari.
We tell stories about the areas we drive through. These are either history or political or culture.
We talk about the food habits of the people in the areas we drive through.
We talk about the material used for the construction of houses in villages and how it changes from one state to another.
We talk about the various businesses that flourish along the highway.
We observe the dresses folks wear along the highway.
We listen to some (very little) music. No iPods or personal music players.
We discuss the plan for the trip/drive.
Places to stay/eat/breaks.
We Carry 3 cameras. One canon point and shoot, one in my phone (Galaxy Grand) and one in my daughters' samsung tablet. We cick a lot of pictures. And encourage the girls to click pictures and rcord videos.

The GPS and maps keep us busy at times.
Yes we have tried to make a full flat bed on the rear seat. Works well in long drive.
We do not eat stuff like Lays, Kurkure, etc, No Pepsi/Coke during the drives.
We carry Chakli, banana chips, khakra, mathri, roasted chana, peanuts, dry fruits with us. Carry 3 circular boxes. Keep emptying the munchies in these boxes as they get over. At any given time kids will have 3 options to choose from. We buy fruits along the way. Carry Amul chhaas and lassi. A 20 litre Bisleri carboy with faucet in the boot. We avoid buying 1 litre bottles. Saves money and reduces plastic waste. Whenever the 20 litre jar gets over we exchange it for a new one. There are 4 bottles in the car, one for each member and 2 extras.

Most of the talking is done by my wife and I. The kids ask a lot of questions.
The deal is that it is a family road trip and therefore we have to be with each other and not with books, iPods, tablets, etc. Also if we are going by road, we want to learn about life along the road, else we would just take a flight.

To some it might seem a lot of restrictions. It works for us. As a family we try and learn new things on each trip. We also try and have new experiences along the way.

Hope this helps. Wish you a safe and enjoyable drive!

Cheers,
D

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2014 at 14:22. Reason: Adding an excellent post by Dushmish :)
Old 24th June 2008, 20:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

My daughter is around the same age as your son and I am sure she is equally naughty.
As you have rightly pointed out, it was quite a bother for us to make her sit anywhere for anything more than half an hour. There was no way she could have sat on a child seat. But, we had to seat her on the rear seat for long drives.

About 5-6 months back, we did a week long trip to Kerala. This was when I was searching for some ideas on how to seat kids, the naughtier ones especially. I searched through various fora and thought the best idea I got was from one of the contributors in paliousersindia. All we did was put in some beds, pillows in the space between the front and the rear seats and we made the rear seat one flat bed. My daughter spent her travel happily there.

I know it is not that safe an alternative as compared to a child seat, but it is always better than making her sit in the co-passenger's seat.

Now, I have another problem. She wants to wear the seat belt because one certain "Mr. Bean" wears them. I am not sure whether it is a safe practice for kids to use adults' seat belts.
deepakhon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2008, 20:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Install a screen at the back and carry loads of Tom & Jerry's, Spooky etc. and your kid will sit tight with eyes glued to the screen.
Old 24th June 2008, 20:11   #4
rippergeo

Car seat is the best option, indian kids are not naughtier than kids from any other part of the world.
We have not trained our kids to sit in a car seat, so they dont do it. If we put them in a car seat from the time they are infants, they will get used to it.
Best of luck getting your 2 yr old to settle down in the car seat.

if you have tried everything and he wont agree, then the non driver among the parents will have to be demoted to the back seat with the kid.

other things to note
1. soft toys, just for use in the car
2.plastic bags for waste disposal
3.plenty of water to wash
4. breaks every hour or so to let the kid stretch his legs
5. nursery rhyme mp3s/rajnikanth songs(my son likes both)
6.spare towels/clothes
7.baby food
8. the non driving parent should also take the oppurtunity to point out things continuously and name them etc. educates and entertains.

Last edited by rippergeo : 24th June 2008 at 20:12.

Old 24th June 2008, 20:12   #5
BHPian

Adult seat belts for kids are a strict no, no.

Kids too small for adult seatbelts - The Pulse - Health Matters

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th October 2020 at 16:09. Reason: typo
Old 24th June 2008, 20:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
My daughter is around the same age as your son and I am sure she is equally naughty.
Well said deepak. This is good idea to convert rear seat like bed. My son enjoy ride standing at back and looking to the road. Shouting everytime "Papa Skoda" whenever he see a 3 box sedan on road. He admire Skoda very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Install a screen at the back and carry loads of Tom & Jerry's, Spooky etc. and your kid will sit tight with eyes glued to the screen.
This is also a good idea. But applicable for big cars. Sure, I will look into this idea when I upgrade my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Car seat is the best option, indian kids are not naughtier than kids from any other part of the world.
Yes for safety point of view child seat is best option. This is much helpful during sudden breaking on road. When on rear seat chances are he/she may fall from seat because of sudden breaking.
Old 24th June 2008, 20:40   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

Wouldn't you feel that child seat is not appropriate for naughty indian kids, that too for long journey? They cannot sit for more time tied with seat belts.

PS: My son is 2 years and 8 months old and he is very naughty.
Dear Anuj,

All kids can be terribly naughty - the country of origin has absolutely nothing to do with it. Indian kids are no more naughtier than kids from anywhere in the world. One has to train the child to sit still in the seat.
My simple suggestion for your child's safety is to use a Child seat and then use the seat belt. The parents will be using the seat belts too so the child can see that it applies to all.
If he gets antsy, take a break every hour.

But teach your child to sit still in the child seat. He is not an infant, as the name of your thread suggests, but a child of almost 3. They can be very sensible.

Take a look at the photo here
They are the niece and nephew of my girlfriend. The little girl is 2 and the boy a little over 3.

Travelling with an Infant-dsc_1536_thumb.jpg

The 2 kids in the picture are terrors, awfully mischevious and cannot sit still for a second anywhere. But right from the time they could walk, they have been strapped tightly into those kinderseats everytime they have travelled in a car and that's just the way it is. They know no other way now.

Remember the first time your kid had to wear clothes. And remember how uncomfortable it made him and he tried to take it off, the shoes, the pants? So did you let him be naked all the time? I guess you were firm and insisted and waited till he got used to it, didn't you?

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 24th June 2008 at 20:41.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2008, 20:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
As you have rightly pointed out, it was quite a bother for us to make her sit anywhere for anything more than half an hour. There was no way she could have sat on a child seat. But, we had to seat her on the rear seat for long drives.
Quote:
Well said deepak. This is good idea to convert rear seat like bed.
Oh my god! Where are these misconceptions coming from!!!

My elder son is extremely hyperactive kid, he can't sit in one place for more than 5 seconds. Yet, the child seat in the car is the only place where we used to forget he exists. Now my younger son is going through the same routine.

No matter how naughty your kids are, they will be angels once they are tied into the car seat. They might rebel first few times, but then they will see the light, take a nap.

Don't even think about beds or hand holding, etc. When it comes to kids in cars, especially long distance driving, there is no alternative to child seat.

Our earlier generation had no knowledge about this, and their cars didn't have seat belts. But the current generation has modern cars with seat belts and access to child seats. Please use it and keep your kids safe.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2008, 01:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

My son loves the kinderseat. He is 3+. We bought the seat prior to our first major journey with him, when he was 10months old. A few weeks after I bought the Baleno. 450kms return journey went without a hiccup. He's been using it since.

The only issue is - if he falls asleep his head tends to rest/loll on the side and towards the front. Looks very uncomfortable. Hence we carry a soft pillow with cotton filling (helps in positioning it as desired) and wedge it between his head, the seat side rest and the seat arm rest.

Daily trips to the playschool, 5kms from home, are also in that seat. I've located it on the LHS of the rear seat, so that I can easily turn around and keep an eye on him / speak to him at traffic lights etc.

Needless to say, the childlock on the LHS rear door is also kept activated.
Attached Thumbnails
Travelling with an Infant-carseat.jpg  

Last edited by shuvc : 25th June 2008 at 01:15.
shuvc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2008, 02:36   #10
BHPian

Totally agree on the car seat being the safest option. I had to go that route for my son, since i did not have a chioce (I was in US when he was about 1 year old). Looking back at it, it seems like a great think. It feels safer driving at high speeds. He also is much more comfortable now (although he does not like to sit more than a few hours).

We plan our journey so he can sleep through some half of the drive (for long drives). If he is cranky, one of us goes back and plays with him.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2008, 03:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

Here are a few threads that might be worth a dekho :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...e-gurgaon.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...seat-kids.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...solutions.html

cya
R
Old 25th June 2008, 11:07   #12
Team-BHP Support

Once a UK car show did an experiment about a 30mph crash with a kid in the rear seat(they used a dummy).
With a child seat the injuries were non existant.
Without it, the dummy flew and hit the wind shield.
If you love your kids use a child seat, otherwise you know what to do
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2008, 11:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

I drop/pickup my daughter to/from daycare everyday and its 20 KM drive both ways. I use Car Seat all the time, but have to give her something new to look/mess with, every 5 mins. Things like, my access card, remote, my old non-functional mobile etc etc and keep talking to her. No soft toy work for her. Some fast music cheers her and keeps her urges to move out of car seat away.

We have not yet tried Long drive with her on car seat. We will try it pretty soon. but she get uncomfortable after one hour in car seat.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:51   #14
BHPian

Already most of the things are covered by other friends here. rippergeo's post should help you to pack the things.

Only thing I want to add is, avoid driving in nights. Kids won't be so comfortable sitting in dark.

Also look at this thread, I find it easy to keep my daughter busy with the portable player.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...vd-player.html
Old 25th June 2008, 11:56   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Is that a good idea, considering that watching television in a moving car can be harsh on the eyes?

Most Viewed