Team-BHP - Safe Driving in the Rains
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Safe Driving in the Rains (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/41953-safe-driving-rains-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1320325)
I think outside. I've seen truckers rub tobacco on their windshields from the outside. Improves clarity.

Ok. Thanks. Another doubt - should it be rubbed on when dry or wet or doesn't matter - for best results?

(Sorry for not clubbing together all my doubts)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesal (Post 1320101)
i have an i10. 6 months old with sunroof. i want to make sure i have no leaking problems. should i seal off the sunroof for the monsoon with think tape ? or am i being overly protective ?

a good sun roof shouldnt leak , and since its O.E on your i10 , i dont think you should bother , and if it had to leak , it would have leaked everytime you washed your car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asr245 (Post 1320374)
Ok. Thanks. Another doubt - should it be rubbed on when dry or wet or doesn't matter - for best results?

(Sorry for not clubbing together all my doubts)

From what I saw I can say this:
He took a couple of cigarettes in his hands and rubbed them on the screen till they disappeared.
The glass was still wet when he did so.
Then taking an old newspaper he wiped the muck.
The glass was clear till as far as I can remember.

Never got an opportunity to try this. But I will do it.
But I wonder what kind of a reaction to expect from family
once I draw a cigarrete case from the glove compartment :)
@asr245 why don't you take the risk and tell us about it. :)

Did the trucker remove the white paper coating of the cigarette, before rubbing the windscreen?

Wah! So many queries with what a trucker (not the one driving a Safari) does with his cigarette!

So here is how it goes:

Wet windsheild - take few cigarettes (with or without the white cover; for better results use without white cover and filter; we are interested in the tobacco only).

Wipe windsheild with tobacco. The tobacco and the water mix and then the result is what is being smeared (again, not what you might have read in Sam's "Boss" sub-titles review) here.

Once done, wipe down the whole thing with a piece of paper. This is where some good old new-paper are a life saver.

Enjoy the drive. :)

good info there. and helpful too :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashishy (Post 1320666)
good info there. and helpful too :thumbs up

Got quite an information. But experts may throw some light whether it is necessary to get the bottom of the car painted with Japenese Black or some paint which they recommend. :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by gururaj r (Post 1326958)
Got quite an information. But experts may throw some light whether it is necessary to get the bottom of the car painted with Japenese Black or some paint which they recommend. :Frustrati

It's good if you get your car's underbody coated before the monsoons.

Please check the wiper blades and replace new ones if they are worn out.
I did a stupid thing 2 days back and swished the wiper in rain with out realising that the ribber lining has gone.
Now i have halfsize rainbow scar on my windshield..i kicked myself for my mistake.

what's the best monsoon protection that can be done to paint and exteriors? is a coat of Wax going to help? (water is bound to roll off right). Esp if the car is going to be untouched, days on end, out in an open parking?

Do you guys suggest under chassis coating ?

I too would like to know how much of a help is an under body anti rust coat on a six month old car. Does it really help or can I wait another year or two before taking that up. I have already scraped a few speed breakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by csnanjappa (Post 1333692)
Do you guys suggest under chassis coating ?

i would suggest that you do this if your car spends relatively long durations of time in high humidity conditions or near the sea shore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1320117)
Good Thread! There is a thread which talks about car care during the rains, started by GTO. I think this topic should be appended there.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ing-rains.html
Anyway, my contribution:
For a car standing outside, one of the biggest threat is hailstones.
Dents on the roof and hood, crack windshields..you name it.
One more thing. Should the cover be on when its raining?
Will it affect the car paint when the rains stop and the hood is still wet and on the car?

IMHO, when one uses the car covers, what happens is that invariable moisture gets trapped inside which is turn leads to rusting especially if the car is left covered for long periods of time and not used.

Would rather leave the car uncovered and dry it up once the rains stop, this would be better practise. Else, cover it up during the rains but remove the cover once the rains stop to allow the moisture to evaporate, my two paise !

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrag (Post 890729)
In addition to switching on headlights, maybe members can contribute with practices followed in different regions

e.g. In Maharashtra, I observed drivers switching on their hazard lights when it rains.

The practice of switching on hazard lights is one of the most hazzardous practices that exist. It is incorrect to drive with lights blinking.

These lights are supposed to be left blinking in a crippled vehicle parked by the side of the road.

If a vehicle with hazzard lights blinking moves to the left or right how would it indicate this. It would create an even more hazzzardous situation.:Frustrati

Have many time wondered how this incorrect parctice of other drivers can be stopped, but there seems to be no solution to the ever increasing virus that has spread.