Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2020, 11:13   #496
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, he would say that nothing happened, therefore everything was fine.

I thought your video title could be read as Idiot 28,112,020. A bad day!
That would indeed be a very bad day. My current daily average is 4 idiots per day, ranging from somewhat idiotic to complete idiot (majority being the middle range)
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 19:03   #497
BHPian

This happened today and here I was the idiot. I had a long drive (6 hours) yesterday, followed by 5 hours of sleep and then back to work today. I was not feeling sleepy on the drive back but was tired. I listen to EV podcasts on short drives (the audio in the background). The AC temperature was set to 28.5 degrees. The cabin temperature was far too comfortable. I also did not air out the cabin today (both to and from work). This mix became a recipe for a potential disaster. I fell asleep. I was woken up by the sound of gravel. I thank god that there was no accident. The car behind me slowed down (I think) sensing something was off. Please get adequate sleep before driving. I was a danger on the road today both to myself and others. I will be more careful in the future.

NG_EV is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 23:19   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
Please get adequate sleep before driving. I was a danger on the road today both to myself and others. I will be more careful in the future.
You are so lucky that nothing bad happened there. Thanks for showing this as a warning to all of us
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:54   #499
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Not an accident as such, but it would have been if I wasn`t attentive enough.

DragonHawk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 12:57   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Not an accident as such, but it would have been if I wasn`t attentive enough.
Seems like you are on a carriageway that is closed for traffic? A marked detour is seen at the beginning of the video and you reach a dead end at the end?
Old 22nd December 2020, 13:00   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Seems like you are on a carriageway that is closed for traffic? A marked detour is seen at the beginning of the video and you reach a dead end at the end?
Yes it is partially closed and is open for people visiting shops next to it as is evident from the video there are many cars on this road.
Old 6th January 2021, 17:44   #502
BHPian

Witnessed another potential "brake failure".
crdi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 23:26   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

There was sudden rain today and I was going around my neighborhood in the car. This kid was either too determined to reach home without getting drenched or wasn't taught basic road discipline by her parents. All in all, she was lucky today and so was I.

audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 15:22   #504
BHPian

Found these 2 videos while cleaning junk from my external disk.

1. Weekend ride
This dude on a motorcycle decides that the perfect time to cross a national highway is when there's a car at about 100 Km/h racing towards him. The Santro driver narrowly missed these idiots. Looking at the video a few times, the car could easily have lost control while trying to avoid them or worse may not have spotted them in time if they (the driver) had been distracted in any way.

2. Office commute before lockdown
This was one of my last commutes to the office before the lockdown in early 2020. I'm minding my own business and riding in my lane when this white Creta decides that it needs to make an urgent left turn. The wide-angle makes it seem there was ample distance between us but it was too close for comfort (at least for me).
I looked up this car's pending traffic challan list from Hyderabad Traffic police's website and it has challans pending since 2017. Looking at the way they drive, I am surprised there aren't more pending challans.

JoeTheWanderer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 02:39   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
This dude on a motorcycle decides that the perfect time to cross a national highway is when there's a car at about 100 Km/h racing towards him.
There doesn't even appear to be a median opening there except for some tampering with the guardrails to make an illegal opening.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 08:20   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
All in all, she was lucky today and so was I.
Wow! Forget about slowing down, it seems like she didn't even look both ways before crossing.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:34   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
Wow! Forget about slowing down, it seems like she didn't even look both ways before crossing.
Nope, nil. She just zoomed across the street(which is pretty busy with vehicles whereas the road she entered from isnt and no one will expect vehicles from that road). Though I passed off this incident with a smile and a nod, I realised what a situation it was later. So many ifs and buts crossed my mind. If it was a different vehicle or a heavy vehicle, if I had been slightly faster seeing the empty road and lastly, if I didnt have a dashcam. Its very difficult to explain to the parent of the injured or dead child that it wasnt completely my fault. Hope no one gets to bear this brunt.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 19:55   #508
Senior - BHPian

What do you do when you see a ball roll into the street while you are driving? The age old saying is that there will always be a child chasing it. This was true in this scenario. The bus driver anticipated this well in advance and stopped safely. The adult then retrieved the child, the ball and crossed and recrossed the road while the driver waited patiently.
BenjiRoss is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 21:21   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
What do you do when you see a ball roll into the street while you are driving?
As a regular viewer of our accident thread, I feel so happy to see this video which did not end in blood, death and disaster.

Of course, the child should have been under control, and it is lucky that the traffic was slow enough that stopping was possible. But it is heart-warming to see the correct reactions.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 16:57   #510
BHPian

I consider this as a near miss incident since it could've been worse if she had hit the edge of the spare wheel or the rear section of the car which could've resulted in a big dent. Thankfully it's a minor brush which can be touched up by FASS hopefully.

Incident details can be found in the description of the video.

TL;DR This is what happens when a person driving a big sedan has no clue about reversing a car.

And the result:
Your near-miss experiences on the road-img_20210211_155108.jpg

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th February 2021 at 17:20. Reason: Removed unnecessary gender reference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks