Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 10:08   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Accidents in India with Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
A close call for me but not for the one tailing me:
That was close!

More than tailgating, I guess it was the overtake move and braking just after that, that cost the Sunny guy.

If think he was at the least-possible-braking-distance away from you and that's why he could stop without crashing into you.
Your braking style helped him of course-just like how the braking style of Innova helped you in not crashing into him.

After overtaking, the Sunny stopped in less than the least-possible-braking-distance of the Force Traveller and hence the FT crashed into him

The song playing in your car couldn't have been more apt
E gangooo...nee biku kalisikodu nangooo...
A song where the Heroine is asking the Hero to teach her driving (riding a motorbike to be exact)

Had the car with the puncture stopped in the left lane, this accident wouldn't have happened probably.
I do not understand why people can't drive to the left side and stop damn in the middle as soon as they realize that there is a puncture-wherever it might be
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 10:45   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The video is scary, without your comments would have thought that you rear-ended the Innova.
The very reason why I started with the explanation first and then the video. Else it simply means I crashed into it. I still cannot believe it myself that I didn't crash!
Quote:
if BETL guys come up with cones with flashing lights or something similar.
Before I rolled down and told the BETL chap, I heard him tell the Innova guy "You are trying to teach me huh?" .

Quote:
Personally have felt that with dual carriageways one tends to be bit complacent about vehicles coming in opposite (wrong) direction and of brake downs or road closures. Have felt when driving on two laned roads one is on look out for the same more keenly.
True that. For BETL he hazards are more due to the width and the fact that your only judgement if you are tailing even with a 3 second rule is the image ahead of the vehicle in front of you and the tail/brake lights of it. That is it!!!

On a usual dual carriageway, that little extra width always helps one to assess what's ahead. On BETL you simply cannot do this except may be peeping through the car ahead and see what's ahead of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
More than tailgating, I guess it was the overtake move and braking just after that, that cost the Sunny guy.
I believe so Hemant as I had only finished overtaking the TT and this chap was waiting for a bigger gap as the TT was parallel to the 2 wheeler after I finished my overtaking. But when I braked, he was indeed right behind me and hence the TT hit him after that.

Quote:
Your braking style helped him of course-just like how the braking style of Innova helped you in not crashing into him.
Yes. Not sure if it was Innova driver's braking Style or confusion but his maneuver immensely helped me. I also won't forget the short bonnet of the Ertiga here .
Quote:
The song playing in your car couldn't have been more apt
E gangooo...nee biku kalisikodu nangooo...
A song where the Heroine is asking the Hero to teach her driving (riding a motorbike to be exact)
You know what, I totally forgot about the song playing in he background that is so apt for the driving and someone teaching somebody else how to drive/Ride - Brakeu, Clutchhu, Acceleratoru.

Quote:
Had the car with the puncture stopped in the left lane, this accident wouldn't have happened probably.
Yes but then we see maximum crowd stop right there to attend a breakdown on the rightmost lane.

Quote:
I do not understand why people can't drive to the left side and stop damn in the middle as soon as they realize that there is a puncture-wherever it might be
They think it is better to save a tire than damage through an accident and hence stop right there. That system would never change and it is increasingly becoming more and more prevalent these days.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th May 2016 at 10:50.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 12:27   #138
BHPian

That was really close. A few weeks back i was returning from anekal and just cruising at about 80 kmph on the right lane. A bike rider came from my left side,within a fraction of a second crossed over to the right side in front of me, and overtook the car in front of me with just millimeters distance from the railing. I immediately slowed down, but that was a harrowing experience. I can't believe people would put their life at so much risk for nothing. By the way the dudes were not wearing a helmet too.
Viper21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 14:29   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You not only shared your experience in braking in your post/video but,you answered all probable questions that readers might throw at you including why honking ?!, hazard lights etc

And this accident shows that driving slow doesn't mean you are safe. The TT guy was slow but still rear-ended the sunny. I always feel that, when you are slower than other vehicles around, you need to be extra careful especially on the 4L roads.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 15:47   #140
BHPian

Quote:
This was the closest call in recent times and by the first look of it, it appears that I literally pushed that Innova ahead after crashing into it but I didn’t even touch that.
That was very close. Lessons learnt:

1. Maintain distance - fools are everywhere. Legally - you are responsible for maintaining the distance and ensuring you do not hit the vehicle in front of you.

2. Use a DVR to save yourself in these situations.
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 17:21   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You not only shared your experience in braking in your post/video but,you answered all probable questions that readers might throw at you including why honking ?!, hazard lights etc
Thanks Arun. There was no right or wrong here and there was no reason for me to hide anything at all. I myself saw the video first only today morning and started to make an assessment on how things unfolded. But at the same time, I had anticipated all the questions and hence put them right there in my post .

I watched the video umpteen times to see what else could have gone well or worse. The Honking was a reaction when the Innova didn't move. Even if he had turned his Hazards on, I would have at least guessed that something was indeed fishy ahead. His way of cruising so easily (and mind you at that speed its too difficult to miss so many hints like the Hazards of the car, reflective jackets) and suddenly braking made me think in all directions! And I also turned my Hazards on immediately as I had the worst fear from the screeching noise(s) behind that this will result in a serial accident. Hazards will at least pass on a message to many other road users from a distance. I am not even sure if the TT or the Sunny had put their Hazards on after this happened.

Quote:
And this accident shows that driving slow doesn't mean you are safe.
Absolutely right. This also means that if your co-passengers think you need not belt when you are driving at these speeds then this video is another indication that they should. I can't imagine the state of co-passengers if they were in my car and not belted here!

Quote:
The TT guy was slow but still rear-ended the sunny. I always feel that, when you are slower than other vehicles around, you need to be extra careful especially on the 4L roads.
The TT was doing good speeds actually for his standards but he never saw what was coming in the next few seconds. It may also be possible that the Sunny only overtook him and braked immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
That was very close. Lessons learnt:

1. Maintain distance - fools are everywhere. Legally - you are responsible for maintaining the distance and ensuring you do not hit the vehicle in front of you.

2. Use a DVR to save yourself in these situations.
3. Most importantly, never take your eyes off the road ahead.

Imagine you turning your head to talk to your co-passenger when the Innova braked or even looking at that touchscreen of your phone?

In this case, everything seemed very normal even with the Innova and he wasn't even driving rash or fast. He just stopped all of a sudden.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th May 2016 at 17:26.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 10:05   #142
BANNED

Quote:
Here's my share of close call yesterday night on the NH9 en-route work.

Sequence of events:
  1. RTC bus overtakes the Tata truck, Swift ahead of me follows and then after a small gap I overtake the truck;
  2. The RTC driver sticks to left lane to let the Swift ahead of me to overtake and I too honked twice before initiating the overtaking maneuver;
  3. Suddenly the RTC driver realizes / spots a biker chugging in the extreme left side of the road. To save him, he cuts right into my lane.
  4. I am almost sandwiched between the RTC bus and divider. I look at my IRVM and sure of no one tail gating me, I brake in time to avoid anything nasty to happen.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st February 2018 at 18:04. Reason: Removing invalid YouTube link.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 10:24   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Somehow, the way the bus was still not in its lane after overtaking that truck and the fact that how these buses love to stick to the rightmost lane, I actually anticipated that Bus to move to the fast lane anytime soon. His tires on the right side on those lane markers are almost giving a hint that he will soon spill into your lane. And then I believe this should be your regular road where the bus passes the culvert where the bus would have moved a bit to the right anyway due to the design.

In your place, I would actually flash once with a mild honk to gain the Bus driver's attention and my intent to overtake him. They (STC and Private Buses) hate losing the momentum and they would do anything for that.

I never pass any vehicle at night on a highway without a flash if I am in doubts and this fella gave me all the right hints.

Quote:
I am almost sandwiched between the RTC bus and divider. I look at my IRVM and sure of no one tail gating me, I brake in time to avoid anything nasty to happen.
Lucky you else you may have had a damaged fender, headlight and mirror.

I am sure in this case, even if someone was tailing you, he would have kept an eye not only on you but the bus as well. Secondly, in such situations, the tailing vehicles will leave more gap especially since they know you need to sneak in first and then its them, more so when heavy (Read wider) vehicles are overtaken.

The tailing vehicle would have got a better view/indication on how the Bus will move out of its lane than yourself who had already passed that bus halfway through, almost.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th May 2016 at 10:26.
Old 13th May 2016, 11:06   #144
BHPian

Quote:
If the RTC bus was in fact in the right most lane before overtaking the truck, then both the cars are wrong to overtake in from the right without giving it enough time to switch back.

The bus has very small ORVMs. Both the cars are coming out of the driver's blindspot to overtake. Flashing of lights at least once is necessary.

The bus driver should have used right indicators to signal a lane change, but that depends on maintenance of these buses and the willingness to do so on the driver's part.

The RTC bus is in its full rights to shift to the right to save the biker. If he hits the biker, the biker dies. If he hits your car, a few scratches here and there.

All this would have worked out a lot better if the Truck was on the left lane.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 14:31   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
The bus driver should have used right indicators to signal a lane change, ...
Just for the record, bus and lorry drivers in North India flash their right indicators on the highway as a sign that you should overtake them (from the right!!!)!! No wonder India sees so many accidents. These are the result of abysmal or non-existent driver training and education.
Old 13th May 2016, 14:32   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that was a real close call!

I feel real happy when I see buses and lorries sticking to their lane (left). We all feel uncomfortable when suddenly someone breaks our momentum of seed by cutting lanes. Now imagine how these heavy vehicle drivers would feel. When sudden obstacles are seen, generally, these drivers don't get much time or don't bother to see the OSRVM before moving to right. More often, the two wheelers and autos create nuisance to them. In many cases, the two wheelers instead of going on the leftmost corner would be driving at a sedate speed almost in the middle of road, not even being bothered about their life.

Its always wise to overtake ONLY if the road ahead of your vehicle and the vehicle that you are overtaking is clear and also give a hint to the driver ahead that you are overtaking.
Old 13th May 2016, 23:06   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
]

The short length of the bonnet of the Ertiga along with the exact timing when the Innova eases on the B Pedal to surge ahead a bit and me braking right at that juncture creates a feeling that I crashed.

Why the video alone, I myself felt I crashed into the Innova but I knew I never felt any impact sitting on the driver’s seat.

Finally, to check if I had indeed a damaged Number plate, Bent Radiator/Condensor, swollen bonnet, I checked the car at home and even this morning after seeing this video as I still can’t believe that I didn’]
Just when I was catching up with the tune of the song and it happened

If it were not for your reflexes then definitely it would have been too late to brake. The innova guy surely stood on his brakes. That was too quick to realise and react, except for slamming the pedal hard. I feel the guy there deserved much more than what you said. It is becoming a rampant habit to stop in the right lane of the road. As if its a big deal to pull to the laybye or even the left lane. I have driven for a week after a puncture and my tyres are still alright. Not sure what runs in these peoples minds

Having said that, I have a feeling your car did come in contact with the innova. The contact points would be the front number plate of your car and the rear nudge guard of the innova. Since the guy let go of the brakes, you would have gone and given him a gentle push. Of course you wouldn't have felt a thing since the front number plate area can flex a bit and will not cause any damage.

Yet,that was very lucky and a quick reaction to the innova braking. Else you would have run into the car. Personally I feel getting rear ended is better than rear ending someone so I slam the brakes hard in such situations and then look at the mirrors and wait for that secondary bang.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th May 2016 at 09:24. Reason: Removed third smiley.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 10:52   #148
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

After a long time, had a really close shave last night.

We're returning home after a dinner. Driver is behind the wheel, I'm riding shotgun and 3 people are on the backseat. We're on the two-lane road opposite Siddhi Vinayak Temple (going north) in the left lane. The gap to the footpath really isn't too much. Out of nowhere comes a blazing fast white Polo on the left. Headlamps on, with the horn at full blast. The driver moves to the right (onto the middle of the road), but only centimeters away from the Polo on the left and some other car on the right. It was damn close. I was 100% sure that we're going to suffer body damage.

As the Polo passes us, we see that his rear bumper has been damaged, is hanging loose and nearly scraping the road. The minute he passes us, he swerves two lanes to the right, makes a right turn and runs away in an adjoining lane.

From the way he was driving, it looked like a hit & run.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 08:41   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

On returning from Hassan last Friday night, A KSTRC Bus stops to alight a passenger on a fast corridor (this is very usual here) and the Tata Ace which typically hates to lose momentum that its holding onto since past 2 hours decides to change lane to move to the center one.

Just then the Sumo which is about to pass through the Truck and the Tata Ace from the center, the Ace almost changes lane and the Sumo slams brakes & almost comes to a dead stop.

This was totally unexpected. I was expecting him to flash his lights and gradually slow down as he had better visibility then me about the Bus that stopped and the next move by the Tata Ace.

I could again stop just in time and as soon as I did, I released my brakes and surged forward to ensure I was not rear ended and at the same time, I remained in my lane before I could get rear ended by another vehicle on the fast lane.

With winters settling in, I was driving with window rolled down by an inch or two and hence lot of outside noise.

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st November 2016 at 08:42.
Old 30th November 2016, 10:17   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the Sumo slams brakes & almost comes to a dead stop.
I guess the problem here is with the Sumo, as there was no brake lights on the vehicle! Or is it not visible from the dashcam video?

Good thing that there was nobody tailgating you. Drive safe!

Most Viewed