Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2019, 05:41   #256
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

This happened today morning when I was about to reach my office. To reach my office easy and fast, I need to take a tollway on which speed limit is 70MPH and I used to drive around 75 to 80 according to the traffic situation. When I took my exit towards my office from the toll road, one guy slowed down to stop in mid of the road without any reason and I literally stood on my brake and stopped inches away from his car. Thankfully no one was coming behind me and I could feel that ABS kicking in as my brake pedal was pulsing. Adding to that my dash cam also not working today morning. This was a very near miss experience in 3 n half years driving in US.
Old 12th February 2019, 00:38   #257
Senior - BHPian

Happened today, yes, I was also at part fault, lesson learnt.

(Read video description for details)

Old 12th February 2019, 01:43   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

(Read video description for details)

https://Youtu.be/6Jqm-QXml_w
Quoting myself here, here is the front view of the same incident.

Look at the fellow checking out the female by turning his head to the left while he simultaneously cuts across me.

DRIV3R is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 14:48   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I really don't see any fault on your part. Not only is the biker in the wrong lane to turn right, he is not even looking before turning. He's looking in the wrong direction! Hope she was good-looking enough to maybe be the last thing he ever saw .
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 15:21   #260
BHPian

This happened when i was in my 9th standard. I used to ride my cycle to my native village nearby and will comeback in the evening. While riding i will try to see the deity in each temple and pray. Once when i was returning home in the evening, as usual i was looking into one of the temple deities from the road on my cycle and still peddalling. Suddenly heard a lot of ohs and ahs. Just straightened my head ontime, to see a bus passing me so close that it hit my shoulder mildly. Fact is i had unknowingly moved to center of the road cycling and looking into the temple. And that is the end of my "on the road, ride and worship" habit.
vennarbank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 16:37   #261
BHPian

Recently (on Feb 10th), while I was on my way back, from Vizag to Hyd, I had a near miss incident. I actually didn't panic, but, can't imagine what would've happened, had I panicked.

Below is the incident
As mentioned in the picture (Source: Google Maps), GREEN is the actual path that I've to travel (and, that is the main bypass road too). The road mentioned is just enough 2 lane road, with two heavy vehicles to pass side-by-side. There is a semi-trailer ahead of me, and, I've been trying to overtake it for quite some time. So, I'm travelling a little close to it (with half of the car on the right lane), looking for a chance to overtake. Semi-trailer is doing a good 70kmph+. Just as it approached the junction (marked in BLACK), it took the left road and zoomed past (hardly slowed down). Since, I'm in a little bit right lane, I've the clear visibility of the straight road (marked in RED), and I assumed that it is the road that the semi-trailer will go, and me too. With the sudden left of the semi-trailer, I realized that I'm on the wrong road, but, didn't try to swerve left, to move to the actual road (may be because I didn't panic). I stopped just ahead on the RED road, took a U turn, and proceeded with the actual (GREEN) road. Now, thinking of it, I can't image what would've happened, had I swerved left, in the process of getting on the actual road. I might've made it in time, OR, I might've hit the V corner barrier of the 2 roads (at 60kmph+).
Lesson learnt - Never follow any vehicle too closely (in an unknown road), especially big trucks and semi-trailers.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Ended up lengthier than expected.
Attached Thumbnails
Your near-miss experiences on the road-nearmiss.jpg  

rajendra2278 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 18:55   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajendra2278 View Post
As mentioned in the picture (Source: Google Maps), GREEN is the actual path that I've to travel (and, that is the main bypass road too).
Looking at the road name/number on the map, the red is the main road and the green is the deviation. Weren't there any sign boards indicating the deviation?

Quote:
I might've hit the V corner barrier of the 2 roads (at 60kmph+).
Lesson learnt - Never follow any vehicle too closely (in an unknown road), especially big trucks and semi-trailers.
If the green road isn't a one way, there could've been oncoming vehicles too.
Vysakh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 19:41   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
Looking at the road name/number on the map, the red is the main road and the green is the deviation. Weren't there any sign boards indicating the deviation?

If the green road isn't a one way, there could've been oncoming vehicles too.
No. RED road leads to a village, while GREEN is the bypass road. Google Maps is showing differently, probably because, GREEN might be a newly laid road. Anyway, I don't see any road signs anywhere on this stretch. This stretch passes through villages, and so, may be, not even a major state highway.
Ya. You're right about oncoming vehicles coming from the GREEN stretch. That's another reason why I said it's a near miss. On the contrary, if at all, there is any vehicle coming from opposite lane, semi-trailer would've slowed down, forcing me to slow down too.
Old 15th February 2019, 19:55   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Quoting myself here, here is the front view of the same incident<snip>he simultaneously cuts across me.
Got to say, good reflex action you've got!
Btw, how did you get hold of the 2nd footage "front view of the same incident"!?
Old 15th February 2019, 20:02   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTvpm View Post
Got to say, good reflex action you've got!
Btw, how did you get hold of the 2nd footage "front view of the same incident"!?
It is a cropped video footage from the rear dashcam of my friend’s car driving ahead of me. My friend also had to honk to gain attention of this biker when he passed him.
Old 15th February 2019, 20:22   #266
BHPian

Here is a video of an incident that happened recently (in Vijayawada), while I was on my way from Vizag to Hyderabad.

Sorry about the way the video is shown (like it is shrunk or something like that). Will use a better editing tool next time.

I was almost half way of overtaking a car, thinking that the vehicle coming in the opposite lane is a 2 wheeler. Just then, I somehow got a doubt that there are chances the opposite vehicle might not be a 2 wheeler, and aborted the overtake midway. I was right. It was a TATA ACE, or MAGIC, or something of that sort of vehicle. He had his right indicator blinking (right headlight was not working), but, that indicator was barely visible from distance. I reckon, he should at least have given his dipper indicating that he has only single headlight working (especially when he can clearly see that some vehicle is planning an overtake ahead of him). Can't imagine what would've happened if I didn't back out my overtake midway.

What do you guys say? Am I at fault in any way here?

For trying to overtake in a narrow bridge.
OR, for not using the dipper.

I didn't use the dipper, thinking the vehicle coming ahead of me is a 2 wheeler.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd April 2019 at 15:14. Reason: Spacing for improvement in readability
rajendra2278 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 09:02   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

In industry, near miss reporting and investigation is given top importance, and it is proved that several near misses result in an incident.

Here is a near miss of yesterday and what I learnt from that.

I was in the left lane approaching a speed breaker. There is a scooter ahead of me left enough to allow me to pass, and an Amaze in the right lane. I was confident of taking the breaker faster than the scooter and the Amaze so went ahead at approx 15 kmph. Just as I crossed the speed breaker, the scooter jutted into my path and kind of unsettled me. I must have missed hitting the scooter by a few mm.

The rider was also shaken up because I suddenly blew the horn.

Learning:If you are in a lane, don't try squeezing in. If I had followed the rider or the Amaze, all would have been well.

In most crowded roads, one takes every chance but a quick evaluation of the risk helps in avoiding a potential incident.

Last edited by vigsom : 21st February 2019 at 09:19. Reason: removed some text
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 16:24   #268
BHPian

I had another near miss just today, on the way to office. Albeit, this time, with a pedestrian.

I was focusing on the left side traffic (since that is a FREE LEFT), and the white Skoda on the right, along with looking straight ahead.
I swear , all the time, I was also looking straight ahead (the road to which I'm headed). But, not even once did I notice that guy. Just before completing the turn, it seemed as if he popped out of nowhere.
He seems to have been completely blinded by the A pillar, throughout the turn.

Generally, I do take a look at the turn beforehand, to make sure that no one is hidden in the A pillar blind spot. This time, I didn't do that, may be, partly because of the confused movements of the blue Jaguar ahead of me (as I started to take the turn). He seems to be trying to take a U turn, in which case he has to cut ahead of me. So, I initially watched him, and then in parallel watched the vehicles on the left/right, and the road ahead. May be, if that Jaguar was not there, then, from that point itself (start of the turn itself), I would've looked straight. Then, 100%, I might've noticed the pedestrian? Well, not sure, but, there is a probability.

Anyway, a new lessen learnt today. While making a turn towards a big road (>=2 lanes), double check the blind spots.
In this case, he seems to be well aware of crossing the road in such way, and not all shocked by my little swerve at the last moment. It's as if it happens to him everyday. I can't imagine what would've happened if there was a small child in his place, and if the child's walking position was a feet this way.

This type of incident happened to anybody? (something completely blinded by A pillar at turn, and visible just while completing the turn).

Note: Just an info. For folks in Hyd, this is IIIT junction (Gachibowli).

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd April 2019 at 15:14. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 15th March 2019, 18:54   #269
BHPian

Quote:
I had another near miss just today, on the way to office. Albeit, this time, with a pedestrian.

In this case, he seems to be well aware of crossing the road in such way, and not all shocked by my little swerve at the last moment.
Why does it seem like the video is edited between the 9-10 second mark? Is that an issue with your dashcam; or did you intentionally edit the video to remove the evasive maneuver?

FYI - In Europe, you are supposed to wait till the pedestrian crosses the zebra crossing. If you hit them, the mistake is yours, and you will be prosecuted accordingly.

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 15th March 2019 at 19:05.
Old 15th March 2019, 21:52   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Why does it seem like the video is edited between the 9-10 second mark? Is that an issue with your dashcam; or did you intentionally edit the video to remove the evasive maneuver?
No. The dashcam records in intervals of 1 min each. The incident is split between 2 such videos. Using a software, I've cut the unnecessary part of the videos and clubbed both videos. So, the joined video ended up like that. I didn't have to do much of an evasive maneuver. All I had to do was swerve a little to the left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
FYI - In Europe, you are supposed to wait till the pedestrian crosses the zebra crossing. If you hit them, the mistake is yours, and you will be prosecuted accordingly.

Cheers
I know. In fact, it is somewhat better that way. In India, we'll be procecuted by the people then and there itself. If I had seen him, I definitely could've either waited for him to cross, or, would've taken an even longer turn. Anyway, all is well that ends well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks