Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2019, 10:22   #316
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I was travelling at 80kmph on the left-most lane (out of 3 lanes). There was this white car (maybe Verna) who was in the middle lane just ahead of me doing about the same speed. Suddenly, he decides to exit NH (exit to service road was merely 10-20 meters ahead), he starts to dramatically slow down and change lanes and I give a long honk to let him know of my presence.
I would suggest to use the middle lane as much as possible in a 3 lane road so as to be better prepared for any eventualities.
The left most lane is to be used by slow moving or stationary vehicles and is better to avoid.
Surely 80 KMPH is left most lane is dangerous by itself.
The right most lane to be used for overtaking or other fast moving vehicles.
Habanero City is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 12:40   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Anticipation. Have more of that, you shall be fine.

My father used to say to me that learn road judgement first and then the actual driving. What he meant to say was anticipate more than usual while driving on our roads.

When you were in the left most lane, then better to not overtake the car in the middle lane as it is not allowed as well as it comes with a huge risk of someone veering their way to exit and not noticing you in the left most lane.
Yes, anticipation is the key. One has to anticipate all sorts of improbable things on our roads!
I wasn't trying to overtake on the left lane. I was just sticking to this lane at a constant speed. The other car in the middle lane was the one who suddenly slowed down when he realized that he is going to miss his exit from NH. Hope I could paint a better picture of the scenario.
, In my book, its overtaking only if you cross into the lane of the vehicle being left behind. Else, it is just lane-discipline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
I would suggest to use the middle lane as much as possible in a 3 lane road so as to be better prepared for any eventualities.
The left most lane is to be used by slow moving or stationary vehicles and is better to avoid.
Surely 80 KMPH is left most lane is dangerous by itself.
The right most lane to be used for overtaking or other fast moving vehicles.
Yes, I always attempt to take the middle lane but so is everyone else on the road including slow-moving trucks, interstate buses and impatient car drivers. Sometimes, one does not have any other option but to take the empty left lane. Whenever I do take the leftmost lane, I always keep my speed lower than usual and according to circumstances - if there are autos, 2-wheelers in left most lane, I patiently follow them till I can change to the middle lane. In this case though, the road was straight and left lane was devoid of traffic as far as I could see.
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 13:37   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Had a near miss with an idiot.
This looks like a completely distracted biker. Even a split second delay would have resulted in him hitting your car even with evasive action taken by you. Driving on Indian highways (haven't been to any other country) is full of uncertainties and one has to anticipate many things. Glad all was ok.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 13:41   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
This looks like a completely distracted biker. Even a split second delay would have resulted in him hitting your car even with evasive action taken by you. Driving on Indian highways (haven't been to any other country) is full of uncertainties and one has to anticipate many things. Glad all was ok.
True. I honked continuously and with that sudden left turn, somehow managed to escape that day. Glad I had recently installed the OEM dual tone horn kit. It's very loud, unlike the sweet and meek sounding stock single horn.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 23:28   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
95% to the car driver.

True, the biker would be better not to weave, but it is his lane: the car driver is just a bully, forcing his way through.

Lucky day for the biker
In India and many developing countries, cars and bigger vehicles expect slower motorcycles to make way for them so that they can share the lane. Cars and bigger vehicles in turn don't mind motorcyclists filtering through as well. It's a mutual benefit which need to be respected and done safely. This is because of the difference in speed of the vehicles and generally bad infrastructure.

When I'm driving, I give motorcyclists fair time to pass the vehicle on the other lane especially if I'm the one changing lane. Sometimes, they are oblivious and slow and a honk gets them out of the way. Squeezing in always has looked very risky to me. I have done that but only if the biker wants it by moving to the extreme left and makes way for me.

When I'm riding, if I check on mirror some driver attempting to squeeze in like this, I move in to the center of the lane so that my intention is clear to them. Most end up following until I complete my pass and give way but some idiots lay on their horns though like they are the most important person in the world who can't wait for 2 seconds.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 17th July 2019 at 23:31.
Yieldway17 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 11:50   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Had a near miss with an idiot.
Similar near-miss two years back and it was a car.

paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 12:08   #322
Senior - BHPian

A number of these incidents can be avoided if there is a proper divider on the road, separating two directional lanes. Somehow idiots occupy full road if there is no divider. In Pune, I experienced this first hand. When there was no divider on Koregaon Park to Mundhwa road, it used to be a menace with vehicles occupying entire road one way. Now with dividers in place, such incidents are noticeably reduced, if not completely vanished.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 21:21   #323
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Not an accident, but a narrow escape from a major one - caught in my dash-cam today morning.

clevermax is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 21:55   #324
BHPian

Today I almost got into a very bad accident "Skidded on turn @ 60Kmph" due to fluids leakage from a truck "Crashed" which was parked at the side of the road. The fluid was light black and almost invisible on the road.

BHpians must stay vigilant when ever they pass near a accident site.

Last edited by Brishti : 21st July 2019 at 21:58.
Brishti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 21:58   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Not an accident, but a narrow escape from a major one - caught in my dash-cam today morning.
Human ABS. Most of these Ambulance drivers are pretty skilled. But on our roads only having skills isn't enough.

Wish more people had spatial awareness like you.
ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 22:47   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I appreciate your safe manoeuvre to give way to Ambulance.

But I have an issue with the 'ambulance' itself. IMHO, Omni is a terribly unsafe car with its occupants as its crumble zone. I cringe whenever I see it being used as an ambulance or to ferry school children.
I am happy that it is out of production. I am waiting for the day it is out of our roads (along with other unsafe vehicles).

To post near misses, this will be a better thread, I think.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ot-em-716.html (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em)

Last edited by Arwin07 : 21st July 2019 at 22:52.
Arwin07 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:57   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Human ABS. Most of these Ambulance drivers are pretty skilled. But on our roads only having skills isn't enough.
Wish more people had spatial awareness like you.
Yes exactly - human ABS! I think he avoided toppling as well by turning to the right at the right time, or may be it was all just impulsive reaction to avoid the crash.

Not sure if that car driver lacked just spacial awareness or a connection between his brain the sensory organs He could have avoided this mess if he had just glanced to his right before crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
I appreciate your safe manoeuvre to give way to Ambulance.

But I have an issue with the 'ambulance' itself. IMHO, Omni is a terribly unsafe car with its occupants as its crumble zone. I cringe whenever I see it being used as an ambulance or to ferry school children.
I am happy that it is out of production. I am waiting for the day it is out of our roads (along with other unsafe vehicles).
Thanks, I too cringe whenever I see Omni Ambulances. I dread to even think about being inside a speeding Omni!

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd July 2019 at 11:02.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 10:58   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd posted an update yesterday in the Chennai city street experiences thread about the effect of the rains Chennai has received recently -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4628616

Quote:
All these rains in Chennai have turned the broader medians in the city's roads lush and green with grass and shrubs. Cows are attracted to this space and frequently dart to and fro across the roads. In just 40 Km from Chenglepet to Tambaram, I saw 3 separate instances where darting cows nearly caused massive highway pileups. I'll be damned if these unusually high bovine activities haven't taken some human lives by now.
It was a pretty hair-raising experience in a drive of 40 Kilometers for me from Chenglepet to Vandalur in Chennai with 2 instances of cows just deciding to step out from the green median onto the 4 lane road and 1 instance of an Ox just prancing merrily onto the path of our convoy of 8 or 10 cars.

Incident #1 close to Chenglepet: A cow stepped out slowly onto the fast lane and I'd already veered to the left lane in advance. A speeding Creta behind my car screeched to a halt before the cow and then pulled over to the shoulder and stopped; I didn't see the Creta again for a while. Maybe the driver lost his lunch due to the shock of what had nearly happened.

Incident #2 close to Marimalai Nagar: I was slowly following a wolf-pack of around 15 honking and speeding hatchbacks and sedans when I spotted the entire wolf-pack dispersing in a frenzy over the rooftops of the cars in front of me (I gotta love the high seating position in my TUV 300!)...with this advance knowledge, I braked gingerly and watched as a huge Ox pranced about, alternating between both of its front and hind limbs. A couple of the nearly affected cars pulled over by the shoulder a bit further away. I sang to myself, "Two more bite the dust", as I passed this weird menagerie of prancing cattle and scattering cars.

Incident #3 somewhere close to Vandalur: A young calf scooted across the lanes from among the lush greenery. I had spotted its peeking snout from far away and switched to the slow lane and was coasting in 3rd gear by the time the calf did its thing. A speeding Ciaz and a lumbering Tata 407 were caught unawares and they didn't even brake. Pure luck had saved them and the calf.

PS: I'm the guy that every car overtakes on the highway. I'm ever cautious about hidden cattle among the bushes.

Last edited by locusjag : 29th July 2019 at 11:08. Reason: Added "PS"
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 17:49   #329
Senior - BHPian

There was a fallen helmet on the road which I saw at the last moment. Luckily there was space to squeeze at the right side and manged to avoid hard braking.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 31st July 2019 at 17:58.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 18:00   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
There was a fallen helmet on the road which I saw the last moment. Luckily there was space to squeeze at the right side and manged to avoid hard braking.
That was close. I had a crazier one when the helmet landed right ahead of me after passing below another vehicle ahead. I also dragged the helmet for quite a while (I could hear it screeching the road) and slowly pulled aside and removed it from below the bumper. Letting it pass from behind would have been dangerous for any 2 wheeler following me.

I realised from this instance that the best way to avoid these (for yourself) is to take it right at the center and avoid contact with any wheels which can be even more dangerous for you as a driver.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks