Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2019, 17:24   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Kollam bypass - notorious for these kind of two wheelers doing all sorts of circus on the road. This road is opened for traffic recently, but there were so many accidents on this road in this short span of time.

These bikers just crossed without caring about the traffic on the main road, and one of them is showing me the universal symbol for "What the hell you're doing?"

clevermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 13:54   #332
Team-BHP Support

Had 2 of them yesterday.

I was about to enter Islampur and I was still on the 4 lane. Was doing ~90 kmph. Three guys on one scooter decided to merge into my lane without even looking if there is any vehicle on that side of the road. I had my entire family with me.

I steered left, I braked hard, everyone was belted but I saved myself thanks to Roots Megasonics. Else, it would have been a bad bad morning. And by the looks of those guy's faces, it was our fault.

While coming back, I was following a Baleno and we were doing ~80, a cycle from the other lane simply darted across and went left and continued. The Baleno guy was shaken, I was following from a safe distance but I was taken aback as well. Stopped the cyclist and he was piss drunk.

Shook head and moved on. I don't think anyone could do anything at these 2 incidents. I am a regular on this route and do this ~360 kms round trip at least 50 times a year.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 14:56   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Had 2 of them yesterday.
Glad all went well. Time for you to invest in a DashCam! Especially in our part of country where atleast we have some recorded proof.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 16:31   #334
BHPian

How about this to be a near-miss? Was that an attempted suicide,no idea.

india008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 18:07   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
How about this to be a near-miss? Was that an attempted suicide,no idea.
No offense to the original poster or anyone else but doing such speeds at night is in itself suicidal.

Your near-miss experiences on the road-screenshot_20190811180721__01.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 19:00   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Well spotted. It is a good demonstration of not being able to stop within visibility. Perhaps the human eye could see further than the camera, although the last-second reaction to the woman suggests not.

The title of the video is "Speeding Car..." Very true.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 22:00   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
No offense to the original poster or anyone else but doing such speeds at night is in itself suicidal.
On the contrary, because of the speed, he could avert the accident. If he was a bit slower(120-ish), there were chances of accident considering, stopping was not an option in both cases.
Old 11th August 2019, 22:16   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary, because of the speed, he could avert the accident. If he was a bit slower(120-ish), there were chances of accident considering, stopping was not an option in both cases.
Care to explain?

If he was slower, say 120kmph, accident wouldn't have taken place, neither such a close call as he would have been some distance behind. I hope you didn't mean that he would have been at 150+ all the while and been 120ish around the time of close call.
BoneCollector is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 01:08   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How would that work?

This was a straightforward near collision on an otherwise empty road because the driver could not see far enough ahead because he was going too fast.

Whilst there are occasions when the ability to accelerate can get one out of trouble, I can't think of how too fast can ever be safer.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 01:35   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Really ? Can you enlighten please. 120ish is not slower by any yardstick. That's like 75 Mph, close to the limit most closed loop roads across the globe observes. Lets not get into the exceptions like autobahn. So 150+ in good old India, that too in the nigh, is suicidal. If he had hit the women, he will be cooling his heels behind bars for rash driving !

Last edited by SR-71 : 12th August 2019 at 01:38.
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 08:42   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Care to explain?
If he was slower, say 120kmph, accident wouldn't have taken place,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How would that work?
This was a straightforward near collision on an otherwise empty road because the driver could not see far enough ahead because he was going too fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Really ? Can you enlighten please. 120ish is not slower by any yardstick.
Please don’t misunderstand me here. I am not justifying high speed driving neither I am saying its safe. I was talking about that moment where the lady appeared in front of the car. What I feel is, he could get away from that sure shot accident, because he was at around 160. But if he were at 120, that wouldn’t have possible to steer clear of the lady. I was just analysing that situation.
Old 12th August 2019, 09:27   #342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I feel is, he could get away from that sure shot accident, because he was at around 160. But if he were at 120, that wouldn’t have possible to steer clear of the lady. I was just analysing that situation.
Do you feel that the chance of spotting an obstacle is better at ~120 kmph or ~160kmph.

That should answer your and everyone's query.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 15:55   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please don’t misunderstand me here. I am not justifying high speed driving neither I am saying its safe.
OK, got that, but...
Quote:
What I feel is, he could get away from that sure shot accident, because he was at around 160. But if he were at 120, that wouldn’t have possible to steer clear of the lady. I was just analysing that situation.
Don't see the logic in that. Higher speed means faster decision making, potentially magnified steering, more chance of a skid.

It reminds me of mridangam class! When the kids couldn't get their tongues around fast konnakol, they would try to say it faster. But that doesn't work: slowing down works.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 11:47   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It reminds me of mridangam class! When the kids couldn't get their tongues around fast konnakol, they would try to say it faster. But that doesn't work: slowing down works.
OFF-TOPIC: Thad-E-Ginathom saar, then you should try a day session with my master, Vikku vinayagaram

Irrespective of the speed of the vehicle that had the near miss, I would be vary of driving at all times on our highways. People hardly understand the speed factor of approaching vehicles and always underestimate or assume that being a local, the vehicles should stop for them.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 15:28   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
OFF-TOPIC: Thad-E-Ginathom saar, then you should try a day session with my master, Vikku vinayagaram
Off-topic too... Wow, you are his student! Great!

There is a brilliant young ghatam player that I much admire in concerts. I think he belongs to that school too. His name is S Krishna.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed