Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2019, 10:26   #361
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
As you can see, the ‘squid’ on the bike decides to try and make it through an impossibly small window between my Fortuner
Something similar happened with me last year. One motorcyclist was desperately trying to overtake from left side on narrow road. There was loose dirt on left side of road and he slipped right in front of my left wheel. Fortunately my speed was very less and I was anticipating his overtake.

nishp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 17:04   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishp View Post
Something similar happened with me last year.
Incredible! He simply falls off! Of course he'd blame the stones, rather than his own complete inability to see and understand the road surface in front of him.

I'm glad you didn't oblige his desire to get run over!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 17:18   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishp View Post
Something similar happened with me last year.
I got this video while I was watching yours. Its old, but...its spine chilling.

Stunned, what was the driver doing? And see how calmly the truck goes away after the accident. Had it not been parked blocking the highway, this accident might not have taken place, but with that speed, the accident might not have been delayed for long.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 17:22   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Incredible! He simply falls off!
My slow speed saved him I guess. I think he wanted to overtake and come in middle of road to avoid that tree on left. Maybe his eyes were stuck on the tree instead of road patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I got this video while I was watching yours. Its old, but...its spine chilling.
Yes, very disturbing video. It was discussed in tbhp accidents thread too.

Quote:
Stunned, what was the driver doing?
Speed was too much to overtake blindly from left. One should never overtake if following a vehicle so closely. I always maintain sufficient distance so that both the current, as well as overtake lane is visible.

Also notice at start of video another Brezza car was speeding. I think they both were engaged in ego racing.

Edit : Mods, kindly merge back to back posts please. My browser showed error message while posting first message so I thought it was not submitted, but eventually both got approved!

Last edited by Aditya : 1st September 2019 at 17:35. Reason: Back to back posts merged
nishp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 01:42   #365
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Meet Mr. Darwin Award candidate. He got home alive (I suppose) because I'd just crawled through a junction and was probably doing no more than 20-30 kmph, and I caught him in my peripheral vision a split second before I actually saw him.

P.S. The dashcam is skewing lighting perception. It was darker than it looks in the footage.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th September 2019 at 02:04.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 20:13   #366
BHPian

This incident happened in 2016. We were driving to Mysore. Since I had just got my driving license, my father was constantly monitoring my driving behaviour, given the notoriety of Locals on Mysore highway.
There is a stretch after Mandya before Srirangapattanam, which has a series of bends luring us to bury the throttle. I chanced upon a truck on the fast lane over a blind crest, when I had almost overtaken him, a two wheeler suddenly jumped to the left lane. For a moment, my heart was in my mouth. Luckily, I slammed the brakes hard so much so that the two wheeler got scared and jumped off the shoulder.
My father rolled down the windows and gave them a proper dose for not having sense while shifting lanes.
Abhinav V is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 13:09   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

I won't call this a near miss but could have been had I not noticed him or speed was more. This was on a curve and he casually walked away.

BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 08:35   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Most of us are aware of how one sin leads mankind to commit another. It is a kind of slippery slope, if you will. A case in point is how people get addicted to cocaine (and addiction is one of the most vile sins) and then, in order to fuel that sin with the need for money to buy drugs, dope fiends tend to steal. One thing leads to another.

Here's one other example of that maxim that I found on the road. It is against the law to ride on the wrong side of the road, but our road-users do just that. What's more, in order to get to the wrong side of the road, they engage in all kinds of stunts, such as cutting across 3 lanes of traffic at a sharp angle. This guy probably doesn't care (won't know it too) that I never even got the chance to depress the brake with my foot which was resting on top of it!
Your near-miss experiences on the road-2w_cutting-across_near-miss.png

If I'd hit him, I fancy that my 2 tonne TUV's front axle would have run over him or probably come to a rest right on top of him. The vehicle was fully loaded, with 7 people, fuel etc.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 10:34   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Had it not been parked blocking the highway, this accident might not have taken place, but with that speed
In this case, its unfair for the truck driver to have parked on the road in a foggy morning. But again what if the truck had broken down and had no other option but to stop. The truck was on the extreme left side of the road. Even if he had emergency lights placed a few feet ahead warning of a stationary truck, I doubt this car driver would have seen it. 3 Lanes and wafer thin traffic, I tend to blame the driver and his over the top speed, Sorry to say, he had it coming. I pity his co passenger though, losing her life in such a ghastly accident for no fault of hers.

Thank god there were no collateral causalities. Looking at the angle the car hit the truck, if he had missed the truck, he would have jumped the median and on to the service road most likely running over the folks walking on the side of the service road.

Last edited by SR-71 : 20th September 2019 at 10:36.
Old 20th September 2019, 11:25   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
But again what if the truck had broken down and had no other option but to stop. The truck was on the extreme left side of the road. Even if he had emergency lights placed a few feet ahead warning of a stationary truck, I doubt this car driver would have seen it. 3 Lanes and wafer thin traffic, I tend to blame the driver and his over the top speed, Sorry to say, he had it coming. I pity his co passenger though, losing her life in such a ghastly accident for no fault of hers.
The truck doesn't look like it had broken down since it is seen being driven away a little after the crash. Either the driver of the truck did not want to be around post the crash or didn't know about the crash (quite unlikely). He could have well parked outside of the main carriage way on the service road. However, it appears that the car driver had lost control of the car much before the crash.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 15:36   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
The truck doesn't look like it had broken down since it is seen being driven away a little after the crash.
Sadly it looks like you missed reading post in entirety and latching on to a specific statement. I had clearly started the post with - "In this case its unfair for the truck driver to have parked". The "what if" is an hypothetical point. If you watch the video the car is already veering out of the road, only the right portion of the car hits the truck. The truck in this case is just an trigger. Given that its a straight road in daylight, a driver in reasonable speed would have had much better chance of getting out of the situation alive. The blame is 100% on the car driver.

An unobservant rash driver would have ended up in the same situation even if the truck were slow moving or had slowed down to exit the main road (though its not the case here). As far the truck driver removing himself from the scene, given the propensity of the folks in our country to jump to conclusions and start beating up the truck driver to death, I can hardly blame him. Seasoned truck drivers know for a fact that the police can quiet easily track them down if they want. More than the fear of law or police, its the fear of being beaten to death by an insensitive mob that results in these truck drivers moving away from the scene at the earliest. I dont support this action, unfortunately I cant blame them either.

Last edited by SR-71 : 20th September 2019 at 15:38.
SR-71 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 20:58   #372
BHPian

Came across this character on the way to work this morning. Complained to the cops and they actually got back. I don't like snitching, but this guy would have sent me to the jail if I hadn't slowed down. I was upset enough to pull footage from both cams, edit the clips, take a snapshot, clean it, insert it, then make a edited clip to share

https://twitter.com/adfree_planet/st...472850432?s=09

Sorry for the Twitter link, didn't want to double post elsewhere.

Edit: Uploaded to YouTube anyway since somebody said 720p on Twitter may obscure the number plate.

Last edited by caffeineAM : 27th September 2019 at 21:04. Reason: Adding YT link
caffeineAM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 11:33   #373
BHPian

Almost got t-boned at an intersection at 4am when a truck broke the signal and came towards my car. Strong reflexes plus confidence (due to me wearing seatbelts) made sure I maneuvered the car to safety. Dad wasn't wearing his seatbelt because "no one checks at this hour", and I hope he realised after this that it's for our own safety, and not just to escape the police.

Funny thing is, this wasn't an unmanned intersection. Due to Durga Puja, every intersection has police posted 24*7, and it happened right in front of them. They didn't even pick up their walkies and ask the next intersection to stop the truck, they were mere spectators. Anyway, I parked 100 metres ahead, sat in the car for 5 minutes and then drove off.
Old 15th October 2019, 11:50   #374
BANNED

I was graciously spared of a nasty accident by God's grace. I driving my Figo on the tollway near Dindigul by night. I was keeping a safe distance between myself and the truck ahead on the lane closest to the median. That was a typical 2+2 lane Tollway. The truck was lining up to overtake a slow moving tanker. I intuitively nudged slightly closer to be in a position to observe and act better. My plan was to follow through if the road ahead is clear after the truck had overtaken the tanker.

The shock came when the truck ducked in to the other lane in front of the tanker in a jiffy to avoid a single barricade ahead. I quickly glanced at the IRVM and the ORVM. I saw that the tanker guy was giving way but I couldn't trust his maneuver and decided to brake hard. By pure miracle, the car came to a halt from 70kmph in such a short stretch of rain washed road. I usually try to duck in behind the tanker under normal circumstances. But the tanker driver to anticipated and took to shoulder while braking. This clammed me in the path with the barricade ahead and increasing the risk of colliding with the tanker If I were to swing to the left to avoid that barricade.

The barricade had been put up by Dindigul police. To ask for any official to take note itself will be a monumental task. To get them to acknowledge their error is never going to happen let alone making sure that they don't spring another murderously negligent barricade again.

Had there been a heavier vehicle on my tail or had the tanker guy decided to plough on without swerving, I might have been a statistic.

Had I been abreast with the lorry guy when he thew his lorry around, things would not have turned out well too.

What I have learnt is that even when we are doing the right thing, we need God's pure grace to stay alive on our roads.
COMMUTER is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th October 2019, 11:58   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
The shock came when the truck ducked in to the other lane in front of the tanker in a jiffy to avoid a single barricade ahead.
That was super close and glad there was no one following you!

The truck gave the first hint at 57s when its brake light lit up and that is not usual unless there is an obstruction ahead of it that could even be a slow moving truck or a broken down vehicle. Just by looking at the brake lights, I would have started to slow down right then to avoid any last minute maneuver.

More often than not, you will see trucks and buses quickly change their lane to avoid collision and anyone tailing such heavy vehicles are usually unaware of what's ahead due to the block that they create. I am glad you were extremely lucky!!
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed