Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2019, 11:12   #391
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Varun Dhawan has a close shave

Your near-miss experiences on the road-cooliecliff_d.jpg

Quote:
What was to be a regular shoot of an action sequence for Coolie No 1 quickly turned into a risky proposition for Varun Dhawan, on Sunday. The unit was filming a heavy-duty stunt in the outskirts of Pune, which required the actor to deliver some close-up shots inside a car as it hung off the cliff. An onlooker present during the shoot of the May 2020 release reveals, "After Varun filmed his shot, he realised that the car door was jammed and wouldn't budge."
Source
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2019, 12:38   #392
Team-BHP Support

LOL i think the doors jammed due to the flex being hooked up like that. It is very common and an easy check also, of how rigid the chassis is during some articulation
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:19   #393
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not exactly a near-miss, but a close one that threw both cars off balance.

So I'm on the expressway early Sunday morning and there is a Jetta in the right-most lane. I am in the middle lane in a Seltos, slowly approaching him to pass him. When I'm on his tail from the left side, there is suddenly this huge burst of white stuff all over us . It threw him off balance (car shook) and me too as neither of us knew what it was.

Then realised it was a bunch of white feathers all around. I think he hit a low flying bird.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:26   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Varun Dhawan has a close shave

Attachment 1939294

Source
What car is that? Does look like a custom built/fabricated one.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 19:29   #395
BHPian

Had a very close one today morning. I was driving our daily route to office on ring road 1. There is a wide divider but has almost no height so people use it to cross. I am about 70-80 in the right lane and i see a girl with her bicycle walk towards the edge of it. I stop accelerating to see if she will cross but she doesn't as if waiting for us to pass so i continue. Out of nowhere after a second or two she decides to cross and i slam on the brakes while swerving bit to the left hoping she will stop seeing the situation but she keeps continuing to the left. While this is happening we see that she has been talking on her mobile in one hand the whole time and bike in the other. She doesn't stop moving at all and car finally stops on left edge of the road inches from her. My dad gets out and shouts at her and few people gather around all expecting an accident. Even those who witnessed the whole thing are shouting at her stupidity but she doesn't care and keeps talking on the phone the whole time and goes away as if nothing happened.

We were lucky that there were no vehicles beside or behind us and no accident happened in times of mob violence. It reminds of the video where a woman decides to cross in traffic and leaves a trail of car crashing and keeps going as if nothing happened.
AnandB is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 21:18   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Had a very close one today morning. I was driving our daily route to office on ring road
OMG, happy that nothing untoward happened and all are safe. Could guess the adrenalin you would had while slamming the brakes. Heightened heart beat to get your car to stand still.

Such dumb examples live in our roads and we are expected to safeguard their lives.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th December 2019 at 19:05. Reason: break = brake.
saisree is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 22:12   #397
BHPian

Quote:
My dad gets out and shouts at her and few people gather around all expecting an accident. Even those who witnessed the whole thing are shouting at her stupidity but she doesn't care and keeps talking on the phone the whole time and goes away as if nothing happened.

We were lucky that there were no vehicles beside or behind us and no accident happened in times of mob violence.
I hope you have Dashcam installed in your car. If not, let this incident be a reminder to install one immediately.
Arwin07 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 22:38   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Always assume they will cross, until proven others. Don't just decelerate, at least have your foot on the brake.

It annoys the people behind you, but who cares!

My mum used to say, always allow for the maximum amount of stupidity. and she only had one minor accident in 60 years of driving.

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2019, 22:49   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwin07 View Post
I hope you have Dashcam installed in your car. If not, let this incident be a reminder to install one immediately.
Yes you are right, never thought about it. Although even if dash-cam clears the driver of any wrong-doing, stupidity like this leads to terrible outcomes for both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Always assume they will cross, until proven others. Don't just decelerate, at least have your foot on the brake.

It annoys the people behind you, but who cares!

My mum used to say, always allow for the maximum amount of stupidity. and she only had one minor accident in 60 years of driving.

I was ready to brake when i was not accelerating and would easily let her pass by slowing down comfortably but then she decided to cross when the distance was not enough. She clearly was facing the car and watching us but was also talking/distracted on the phone for her erratic decision.

Last edited by AnandB : 17th December 2019 at 22:50.
AnandB is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 00:19   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... She clearly was facing the car and watching us
When you can see you have been seen, that is a pretty strong indication. Just leaves that allowing for stupidity factor. Clearly, she had lots.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 00:39   #401
BHPian

Quote:
... and goes away as if nothing happened.
Similar thing happened to me about 6 months ago. Punekars know the junction near Ganga-Bhagyoday on sinhagad Road. So, this elderly gentleman crosses the road at fun time multiplex, without a care in the world. Swift driver in middle lane, rickshaw in front, me driving at about 50kmph planning to overtake rick after swift. And suddenly I spot this man. Pre-emptive and anticipatory driving helped me. Couldn't help the swift. Rickshaw swerved extreme right towards divider. Swift couldn't decide and ended up hitting rear left fender of rick.
To end it, less than a minute later, I couldn't even spot this gentleman anywhere. Not a care in the world indeed!

I had another incident about two days ago at Narhe deccan Pavillion chowk. This fortune guy decides he wants to go off the highway on service road towards Katraj, meanwhile me trying to merge highway to turn on towards the flyover. Came from behind, tried overtaking from right, even with my indicators on, kissed my right ORVM. i had an amazing first person view up close of his bonnet just beside the drivers window inches away from me, when it finally dawns on him that he has to brake to avoid hitting me.
Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 07:45   #402
BHPian

This was my near miss experience during my joy ride to Mumbai from Bangalore, happened a year back but still gives me chills. It was an early morning start by 4 AM which usually doesn’t happen with us, but somehow happened with full excitement as this was my first drive out of south India. It was a bliss all the way till Chitradurga and post then road narrows down and bit foggy due to Oct timeframe. So, I slowed down and kept the needle around 80 to 85kmph just to be on the safer side.
I usually look out for any protruding slippers, bike wheels or cattle’s out of the bushes from the median but I did not notice any. However, much to my surprise I saw an TVS 50 fully loaded with straws on his left side which prevented his vision to the oncoming traffic, but he already jumped and crossing the road and I’m closing on him bit fast. I thought of passing him from the right, but the gap was too tight, so only choice was to pass him from the left and luckily there was some shoulder left.
I did swirl the steering to the left, pass him and once again swirl hard quickly to the right to merge with the road, I somehow passed him without a hit and now the drama begins. To my shock I totally lost control of the vehicle (Steering) for almost 6 to 7 seconds (VW Vento TDI), I tried to hold the steering straight, but the car was swinging from right to left and vice versa, it was like a “Z”. It took almost 7 odd seconds to get the car back in control. By god’s grace there was no other vehicles behind or close by, it was a scary moment until I got back full control.
I couldn’t exactly figure out the science behind this behavior (I’m sure the speed was no greater than 85 Kmph and some reason I did not slam the breaks). Also, I’m not sure if any other way to react or how to prevent losing control under such situations. If any thoughts and suggestions will be helpful. Thanks. Vino
glovins2004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:10   #403
BHPian

This is at Nilambur. Kerala bus drivers are ruthless.
Starscream1188 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 23:10   #404
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Had a crazy incident yesterday, on NH-46. Just before the bridge after the Shell fuel station (or around there somewhere), there was this Santro that was doing around 70-90 kmph in the middle lane. There wasn't anyone behind us. We were doing 120 kmph on the right.

Suddenly, I noticed a man in a dirty white shirt on the middle lane. Thought he was on a bike or something, due to the Santro blocking him from view partially from where we were at that point. As we overtook the Santro I realized this guy was actually walking across the road at a slight angle, in the middle of the expressway.

Dad hit the brakes and steered right (not hard). I thought we'd hit the guy, but missed him by less than a foot and sailed by on the right (I'd have applied full brake and prayed to the heavens). Anyway, all the while this drunkard was just walking, eyes elsewhere, as if nothing had happened (which basically led us to believe he was drunk in the first place). We didn't even bother shouting at the guy.

Later on, I asked Dad if he could've completely braked in time and brought the car to a halt, given the little reaction time we had (less than 10 seconds). Even as I wondered about this, I knew the answer- not without the tyres screeching and hitting the guy head on in the process. I doubt even ABS would've had the time to kick in. So be careful out there, it's a crazy world, especially on Indian roads.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 11:18   #405
BHPian

I've had my fair share of misses in the last 25 odd years of driving. The latest one was a couple of months back. I was driving back from Kottayam to Bangalore . To avoid the kuthiran stretch had taken Vadakkancherry - Alathur route where the roads are better but two lane and a narrow two lane at that.

It was around 6:30 in the morning , I was doing around 60-70 enjoying the empty road and morning greenery. But the whole day not just the morning was about to get really bad. Entering a blind curve , I found an interstate bus (Kallada) coming straight on - wrong side- overtaking an autorickshaw and that too no headlights / driving lights.

I had just two options 1) Head on collision (if that was an option) 2) Go off the road risk getting hit on whatever was there beyond the shoulder off the road and the compound wall . I chose the later and missed the bus by a whisker and some how avoided touching the compound wall. Ecosport's high ground clearance meant no damage at all to the underbody , but the tyres were not so lucky . Both front and rear left tyres and alloys were damaged beyond repair. I just sat in the car for a few seconds with my heart beating the loudest I've ever experienced and my wife woke up from sleep asking why did we stop ?

Luckily there was a puncture repair shop few meters from the incident and a good Samaritan called up the repair person to help. Reached Bangalore on spare tyre and a tyre with tube inserted. Tube had a couple of patches so I wasn't confident to go beyond 80 on highway. Anyway two alloys and 5 tyres replaced made me poorer by around 50K. But could have been a whole lot worse.
JoeMichael is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks