Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 10:47   #421
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Again proving a point why one should both Honk & Slowdown when approaching a blind turn. Always expect a noob to approach from the other end & prepare yourself to take evasive action.

Sharing a near head-on miss from a recent trip to Hassan.
I'm amazed you held your patience and didn't honk him to oblivion. It is amazing the number of idiots we meet on the road. It is almost as if we are undergoing reverse evolution.
Old 31st January 2020, 12:10   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Again proving a point why one should both Honk & Slowdown when approaching a blind turn. Always expect a noob to approach from the other end & prepare yourself to take evasive action.

Good that you spotted him early and were able to take evasive action. Which road is this near Hassan ? 2 Laner - doesnt seem like Belur Road

Last edited by bblost : 31st January 2020 at 12:41. Reason: removed embedded video from quoted section.
Old 31st January 2020, 13:52   #423
BHPian

Quote:
A very good job sir in avoiding the oncoming yama !

I call all such vehicles yama - majority of them are of the trax / jeep / bolero variety. They are majorly found on the Pune - Nashik road and Pune - Nagar roads. The driver is sitting in a cramped space and intent on completing maximum trips for the day.

I am happy to be featured on page 2020 in 2020
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 20:33   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

This is what my brother faced today. I wonder what is wrong with people.

At first I thought it was the Accent that had cut across and created a near miss situation. But later things change.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 14:27   #425
Senior - BHPian

This happened today morning on a narrow 2-lane road near my college. I've tried to explain the situation in this diagram; sorry for the poor quality.

Your near-miss experiences on the road-20200205_130744.png

Green = My car
Red = WagonR
Pink = Bus
Blue = Scooter

I was heading towards my home, doing around 50 km/hr. There was a scooter ahead of me, moving at almost the same speed, and a bus coming from the opposite lane. Normal day. I would have moved slightly towards the left to let the bus pass easily and continued driving.

All of a sudden, a WagonR jumps out to overtake the bus!! The scooter rider slowed down. I was expecting the WagonR to back off as there was no way he would've completed the overtake without hitting me or the bus. But that idiot flashed his lights and continued to drive. Knowing that it was too late, I now grabbed the steering firmly and slammed on the brakes, prepared for a head-on collision. I could feel ABS kicking in but with slightest of steering input, I would've hit the scooter in front, or worse, collided with the bus.

This is when the WagonR driver realised his mistake but rather than slowing down, he turned the wheel abruptly towards his right and headed straight into the scooter's path. The scooter rider panic braked, hit the WagonR's front left door and fell on the road. The WagonR went off the road and sped off as if nothing happened!

The bus stopped a few metres ahead, everyone rushed to the rider. Thankfully, he was wearing a helmet and his thick winter jacket protected him from bruises. Soon enough police arrived at the scene but told us to let it go as everyone was safe and there's no point going after that car driver now!

The scooter rider told me that he lives nearby and I dropped him at his place as the scooter didn't start after the crash.

What was evident from the WagonR driver's behaviour was complete apathy for other road users, especially 2 wheelers. The way he darted towards the scooter rider at the last moment was completely unexpected, he showed no concern for his life. And no, it was not a commercial vehicle. Cabbies are way more careful and experienced drivers than the average joes out there.

Our roads are very unpredictable. One moment I was happily heading on my way and the other moment I was prepared for a head-on collision! Also, this was the first time I felt unsafe in my Swift (2nd gen) and all comments about tin-can build flashed in my mind. I don't know if I would have felt the same in some other car or not but it was certainly a very bad feeling.

Last edited by self_driven : 5th February 2020 at 14:29.
self_driven is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 23:30   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
This happened today morning on a narrow 2-lane road near my college. I've tried to explain the situation in this diagram; sorry for the poor quality... ... ...
It's an excellent diagram and a great description of what must have been a horrible situation. I am very glad you suffered no harm, and sorry for the scooter rider.

What a pity the police could not proceed against the negligent and arrogant Wagon-R driver.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 12:02   #427
BHPian

Hairline escape from two successive accidents

::CMS:: is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 15:11   #428
BHPian

It's three, isn't it! . The impatient tanker carrying fuel thinks he can outsmart everyone ahead and that's how many of the road users are
Old 8th February 2020, 15:54   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Soon enough police arrived at the scene but told us to let it go as everyone was safe and there's no point going after that car driver now!
Thankfully everyone is safe. Can't understand why the police did not follow up and let the driver go. These things are unacceptable and there's a provision in the laws for rash driving. The driver should have been caught for his wrong doing.
Old 8th February 2020, 19:13   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What a pity the police could not proceed against the negligent and arrogant Wagon-R driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Can't understand why the police did not follow up and let the driver go. These things are unacceptable and there's a provision in the laws for rash driving. The driver should have been caught for his wrong doing.
Strangely in our country, unless a complaint is filed by the aggrieved party, the police or judiciary does not come into picture.
This seems to be true for almost all crimes.

Even after filing the case, if it is "settled" among the parties and the case is withdrawn the culprit walks away free regardless of the seriousness of the crime.
Wonder why this kind of system exists which excellently suits the powerful, influential and politically connected.

The only exception I have seen is that if the court/judge considers as "suo moto", I don't know what it means, but the directions to police comes directly from the judiciary regardless of the complaint filed or not.

This seems to be one of the prime reasons for lawlessness and absolute disregard for the law and order systems.
Habanero City is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 20:24   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Hairline escape from two successive accidents
That's some quick reaction from your end! Thankfully there wasn't any oncoming traffic.

The noob, like so many others who occupy our roads hadn't even bothered to check beyond the auto rickshaw FIRST & then on the left.
Similar to the rule while crossing the road which we all were taught as kids - look right, left, again right & cross.

My mantra while driving: if there's something blocking my vision, always expect someone/thing to pop out unexpectedly from behind it.

Last edited by Sheel : 9th February 2020 at 08:37. Reason: Please avoid quoting video's URL in the quoted post. Thanks.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 18:56   #432
BHPian

This happened 2 days ago. I was driving on a road which i take daily to work and this road is pedestrian free. I overtake a few motorists and up ahead there is a Vento who's driving right in the middle of the road which has 2 lanes on both sides.

There is a green light up ahead with enough seconds to pass as it has a countdown display. The road ahead of this Vento is clear and I honked at him in advance (audio recording disabled on dashcam). The Vento driver is distracted. Probably using his phone. I honk again as i get closer and he finally hears it and starts to move left to give way to me.

As i begin to pass him, he suddenly notices a scooter at his 11 o clock and slightly veers right. His right side ORVM slightly grazed against my front left fender and door. He corrects his course immediately after that. No altercation. We both drive away.

Now, I know I was probably a little too much in a hurry but there was a green signal up ahead with enough time for me to make it across if he hadn't been blocking both lanes. Also, the FOV on the YiCam dashcam is superwide and makes my overtaking path look narrower than it actually was.

The scratch on my Fortuner. Most of it rubs off.
Your near-miss experiences on the road-img_20200209_200004.jpg
sharc_biker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 19:08   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharc_biker View Post
This happened 2 days ago. I was driving on a road which i take daily to work and this road is pedestrian free. I overtake a few motorists and up ahead there is a Vento who's driving right in the middle of the road which has 2 lanes on both sides.
It was never a clear overtake opportunity in the first place, given the width of the Fortuner and the fact that the car in front was occupying some part of the right lane. Also, the other driver was almost contemplating overtaking the biker.

If it was me, would have never gone ahead with the overtake. May be the opportunity to pass through the green signal made you pull it off in haste.
ishan12 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 21:08   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Didn't expect the dumper truck to start reversing all of a sudden, at the exact moment I was passing right behind him!

SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:11   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened yesterday. Can blame everyone including me (should have sensed the kid and slowed down earlier).

naveen.raju is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks