Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2020, 09:38   #436
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

I had one freaking near miss yesterday.

I was on the EW corridor and slowed down when I saw a 3 wheeler [goods carrier] was hit by a small truck on a junction and had turned turtle.

People were trying to straighten it up and I had slowed down and had shifted to 2nd gear.

The moment it landed on its rear wheels, it simply bolted as its engine was on and it was in gear and I was in its trajectory path. I too accelerated and miraculously escaped. The 3 wheeler somehow missed the nearby stalls and landed in the ditch.

Had I not accelerated my SUV would have suffered a bad hit from rear three quarter for absolutely no fault of mine.

A lesson learnt for sure.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th February 2020 at 12:39.
Sheel is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 17:07   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Being an no-muscle wimp, I'm unlikely to part of a vehicle-righting attempt --- but I think I know enough to turn the engine off first. Whether it is a bike or a four-wheeler, this is pretty basic.

On the other hand, I can be pretty stupid too.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2020, 23:17   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
It was never a clear overtake opportunity in the first place, given the width of the Fortuner...
... If it was me, would have never gone ahead with the overtake.
I second this opinion. Even if the car wouldn't have moved over, the gap would've been just inches. That's the general on road bullying one sees by some SUV owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
--- but I think I know enough to turn the engine off first. Whether it is a bike or a four-wheeler, this is pretty basic.

On the other hand, I can be pretty stupid too.
Add applying the handbrake to the list. Plenty of instances where the vehicle simply rolls off when righted.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2020, 03:16   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Add applying the handbrake to the list.
Right.

See! I said I could be stupid.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 21:07   #440
BHPian

Ill effects of over excitement before a long drive. Still remember the incident during our first trip to Kodaikanal from Bangalore many years back in our Fiat Palio 1.2 ELX Fern Green (Piece of rock). I was so over excited and anxious about the prospects of long highway drive by the dawn, which kept me awake the whole night, I was rolling back and forth in the bed and kept driving in my dreams, and could hear the crispy engine note in my ears the whole night. This was not my first long drive, but I couldn’t explain why such an excitement.

Our plan was to start early by 5am, so got up by 4am and started packing, I felt terribly tired due to lack of sleep, but my mind was still jumping in joy and didn’t pay much attention to my body. Packing done, loaded and started rolling on the empty and inviting NH44. I know I’m tired, but I was trying not to show up on my face and kept driving, wife and kids were sleeping.

As we crossed Krishnagiri, there was a container truck in front of us doing good speed, I thought of overtaking but couldn’t due to lot of vehicles on the left lane, so I was trailing behind at the safe distance. Much to my surprise the truck suddenly slowed down and I’m trying to apply brake, this is what happened, I couldn’t even apply good force on my right feet or keep my feet in proper position while hitting the brake, I tried twice but my feet slipped again and again, hearing the noise of the brake pedal bouncing back my wife woke up and banged on my shoulders, which made me to hit hard again and slow down before rear ending, oh my god this incident taught me a very good lesson.

Never go behind the wheels with no proper rest, there is no two way about it. Drive safe - Vino

Last edited by BlackPearl : 3rd April 2020 at 21:20. Reason: Typos.
glovins2004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2020, 18:35   #441
BHPian

I’m trying to recollect near miss incidents during my early days of driving, might be helpful to raise awareness among new highway drivers.

I faced this situation during my first long drive from Bangalore to Chennai via Chittoor route during 2005 but remains fresh in my memory and a good learning through experience, gods grace it was not a costly experience.

As this was my very first highway drive, I was making many mistakes due to lack of experience and ignorance but each time I made a deliberate attempt to retrospect, learn and try not to repeat.

It was a smooth and scenic drive through Kolar all the way until we joined NH48 at Walajapet, in few minutes we crossed Chennasamudram toll gate and needle was hovering at 100 Kmph, at this moment I could spot a huge truck ahead of us doing average speed on the left lane and there was enough gap on the right lane to pass through, so I pressed the pedal to gain momentum and almost half way passed the truck but here comes the cardiac event, with no hand signal or any form of indication the truck suddenly switched lane towards right and I was almost squeezed between the truck and the median with less than an inch gap, I certainly panicked and about to accelerate but somehow I slammed the brake and the car came to a screeching halt, not sure how many times I have to thank god as there was no other vehicles behind.

What did I miss? I should have made my intentions clear to the truck driver by honking as it was midday, else flashing the head lights twice during night, so that truck driver would have noticed me in his rear-view mirror. Since then I made it a habit to honk or flash head light to avoid such situations, also I started to look at the truck wheels as I come closer, so to some extent I can guess whether he might change lane or not, it's not a foolproof method but just another layer of safety.

Another tricky and similar situation from the recent past, happened during our onward Journey from Chennai to my native (Nagercoil) in our German beast VW Vento TDI. It was a bliss and blazing through NH38/44 and Vento was at its best with German heart propelling forward, I guess TDI owners could relate to my description. As we approached Sattur, there was a truck on the left lane with more than enough gap on the right to pass through, I did honk and there was no other vehicles nearby so started to pass the truck, but much to my surprise he suddenly switched lane towards right with no warning. However, I was in two minds whether to slam the brakes or floor the accelerator, but I floored and squeezed through the narrow gap without an impact.

Dilemma under such situation, whether to floor it or slowdown? I did floor the pedal considering the gap and the rate at which truck was closing the gap, it’s just a guess work not accurate. Not sure whether I made the right decision, but my mind was telling me “you should have slowed down” better safe than sorry.

I guess many of our fellow members would have come across such situation during highway runs, my personal view “Don’t attempt to pass through and make it a default habit to slow down considering the traffic behind you” - Drive safe
glovins2004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 19:40   #442
BHPian

This happened on Sarjapura road the day before yesterday. I was following my lane and just minding my business when this Maruti Eeco belonging to one of the Service centers of Maruti, suddenly turned into my lane as they were trying to overtake a Swift ahead of them.

It was in front of the Wipro office and luckily, I had room to maneuver away from him, or he would have run into me.

Newpunter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 18:40   #443
BHPian

He saw me initially but decided to ignore my car and accelerated away to glory. Morons like these who cannot wait for their turn should be put behind bars. My heart was in my mouth for a second there.
Funny is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 19:01   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
He saw me initially but decided to ignore my car and accelerated away to glory. Morons like these who cannot wait for their turn should be put behind bars.

Damnn, these idiots. On my part I am always a bit careful while approaching junctions/signals to counter such scenarios.

Also the irony that this isnt funny ( sorry had to play with your username)

Last edited by SideView : 27th June 2020 at 19:01. Reason: Triming the quotes
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2020, 19:20   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Damnn, these idiots. On my part I am always a bit careful while approaching junctions/signals to counter such scenarios.

Also the irony that this isnt funny ( sorry had to play with your username)
Haha, it's okay :P

I thought he would let me pass but boy was I wrong. Usually I try too see ahead of time for such stunts but today I learnt that some people can be very unpredictable on roads and I need to be more careful at crossings from now on.
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 13:16   #446
BHPian

Saw this video on YT...skip to 3:45

A heart-in-mouth moment. It was a head-on collision @120kmh If the turn would've been a little sharper
Radiator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 13:39   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiator View Post
Saw this video on YT...skip to 3:45
A heart-in-mouth moment. It was a head-on collision @120kmh If the turn would've been a little sharper
What is wrong with these people? Driving wrong way on an expressway? How does it even sound right to them in the mind?

Hope the police who were attending the broken down truck just before found these guys and charged them.
Yieldway17 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 14:07   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
What is wrong with these people? Driving wrong way on an expressway? How does it even sound right to them in the mind?
Exactly!
A 2-tonne MUV coming towards you in the fast lane is the last thing one would expect while driving on a controlled access e-way.
Old 4th July 2020, 17:25   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiator View Post
Hate me for this, but unless absolutely necessary, I am one of those guys who would never prefer sticking to the median when you always have the center lane available.

Forget the oncoming MUV and imagine a stranded truck with a flat tire parked right there!!!

Access controlled highway? Well, all such things are good on papers and advertisements when headlights and Hazards are the biggest weapons for the morons who drive the opposite way.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th July 2020 at 17:27.
paragsachania is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 18:09   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Hate me for this, but unless absolutely necessary, I am one of those guys who would never prefer sticking to the median when you always have the center lane available.
You are not alone buddy. I overtake & leave the fast lane right away.

But, I've seen plenty of diversions that force drivers to do this, wherein a section of the opposite road is closed, directing traffic onto the oncoming lane. They then have to use the fast lane.
Now, this becomes especially dangerous when the highway is empty, thus giving the illusion of a sole person driving irresponsibly.
So, if that was the case indeed, then the road authorities are at fault as this should've been marked clearly at the start & end of such an arrangement.
Or the driver missed spotting one altogether?
McLaren Roxx is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks