Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2020, 23:32   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post
Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to share an incident that happened with me 2 weeks ago. I was returning from Delhi to my home (Moradabad). I was driving my XUV 5OO and the speed must have been around 90-100 kmph. ......And all of a sudden what I see is, the Bike rammed into the Wagon R, lost its balance and came right in front of me and I was like
I slammed the brakes
I'm glad no one was injured. This is where defensive driving comes into play. When the bus stops (generally gradual), one should be ready for all the vehicles following the bus to jump into the next lane. Not only that, people also might randomly cross the road.

I'm not blaming you, but anticipating such idiotic moves will help you avoid that last minute stop.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 00:30   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
Looks like the biker is totally at fault. Even after hitting the wagon R, he did not try to control the bike and swerved it into your lane which is very dangerous. Things would've been catastrophic for him if there's a bus or a lorry instead of your XUV.
+1 Dash cam is becoming a necessity now. Our roads are full of morons and idiots who will never learn.
I had the same thought after this incident, what if it would have been a truck or any other heavy vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Big lesson for the tailgaters there. Will they learn it?
+1 Thanks. Tailgaters they never learn until it's too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Why on earth did those two fall? It was a bright day and a beautiful road with not much traffic.
+1 ... Thanks and yes, kudos to XUV . And I guess they fell because they couldn't regain their balance after the jolt when they hi the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
Regardless, goes on to show importance of dashcams (in case you would have rammed into them) as well as risks of tailgating (especially for two wheelers).
+1. True as I said earlier Dashcams are becoming more of a necessity rather than accessories. We had a kind of similar incident in February this year with one of my relative in which the biker actual came under the vehicle and lost his life and if it was not the people (on lookers )who stood in our favour as we were not at fault, things would have become horrific for us as they had no dashcam and my relative who was driving the car was not at fault. Plus we were 10-12 cars traveling together hence we had a good number of people on our side as well. But a poor guy lost his life because of a stupid and idiot Buffalo cart guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Tailgating the car with inches to spare on a wide open road, some people never learn.
Quote:
Tail-gating is not one of those mistakes that do happen: it is a bad and dangerous habit.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
This is where defensive driving comes into play. When the bus stops (generally gradual), one should be ready for all the vehicles following the bus to jump into the next lane.
+1 ... True

Note from Support: Please do not quote large posts entirely. Also, the Thanks button works better in some cases. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd August 2020 at 05:42. Reason: Typos fixed. See note.
Singh09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 04:32   #468
BHPian

Quote:
I was driving my XUV 5OO and the speed must have been around 90-100 kmph. There was not much traffic on the road, and it this was my first trip (business and rakhi) after lockdown. I was driving normally, with not much traffic and light music. I was driving on the right hand side lane. And about a few meters ahead was a bus on the left lane with a Wagon R behind it and a bike with 2 people trailing the car. And all of a sudden what I see is, the Bike rammed into the Wagon R, lost its balance and came right in front of me and I was like
Singh Saab,

+1 to you for having a dashcam.
+1 to you for being alert and having presence of mind in a scary situation to hit the brakes on time.
+1 to you for driving a well maintained car with good tires and ABS that could stop in time.

For me, the key takeaway is that when going through villages or populated areas where buses will stop, I need to lower my speed. That speed for me in this kind of area would be between 60-80 kmph.

I need to learn what I could do differently because getting into an accident could end really badly when people will assume the bigger vehicle is at fault and mobs will hit me or damage my vehicle in the name of social justice. Even though the real cause of the accident was the two idiots - Wagon R and the biker following two closely to the bus.

Stay safe and happy driving!

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd August 2020 at 05:43. Reason: Typos fixed.
hondaford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 12:49   #469
BHPian

Close call with a Tractor reversing in the middle of the road with no indication whatsoever. I had to brake hard to avoid collision. I was driving a little fast and saw the tractor but I did not know that it was reversing until I got close to it. A reversing light indicator would've helped. The tractor driver is seen blaming me for coming in its path
Funny is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 13:45   #470
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Sharing the video recorded by my DashCam.
That was a close shave and very well handled by you and the machine.

I had a similar experience while Driving from Mukteshwar to Delhi in 2017. Summer heat somewhere around 2pm before UP border. A bike rider slammed into a stationary car (Red swift) parked well inside the shoulder line at speeds of atleast 40 or 50. The road was empty only other cars were 2 Innovas in front of me and a Honda city behind me. The bike and the rider were flung in the fast lane. The lead Innova hit the brakes but still clipped the bike (Not the biker) , the Innova behind rear ended the lead Innova (Both taxis), I managed to stop the the 2 ton V-cross leaving a gap of 4 to 5 feet and the Honda City behind me was barely 10mm from my rear bumper. Just like your video the V-cross stopped in straight line without a fuss with ABS kicking in. I was getting visions of the bike rider for the next 2 days till I reached Mumbai.

Looked like a case of Bike rider passing out due to extreme heat.

Needless to say I have a dash cam in my truck now.
tazmaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 13:58   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Close call with a Tractor reversing in the middle of the road with no indication whatsoever. A reversing light indicator would've helped. The tractor driver is seen blaming me for coming in its path

I've seen many tractors on highways and on city roads, almost all of the tractors' reverse lights , tail lights and brake lights never worked. Also notice, the unloading / boot trunk is open and covered the tail light assembly, even if it is closed, it wouldn't matter as they seldom work.

Good for you, good brakes saved you just in time. These morons should be heavily penalized by RTA and traffic police.
WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 14:50   #472
BHPian

Based on my personal experience, driving overnight with no proper rest or with hectic schedule will be a recipe for disaster. Yes, I agree driving across twilight zone poses its own risk but fatigue during night (12am to 5am) is one more major risk factor.

I can recollect an incident few years back, I have to visit Trichy from Bangalore and back home on the same day, as usual onward journey was filled with fun and adrenaline rush, I never gave a thought how body will cope up while return journey.

It was around 10pm, we started our return journey and my aunt said she will be keep talking to me so I won’t doze off, within 40 minutes I could hear snoring noise and it was absolutely dark outside and not even a single vehicle in sight.

Here comes the first incident. As it was pitch dark and my head lights aren’t that great, I missed a sharp right turn and I was almost on the edge of a paddy field, somehow managed to slow down and steer right with no impact. I pulled over, washed my face and started again, felt bit confident and not that drowsy anymore and continued towards Salem. Until I reached Salem, I was bit alert due to unfamiliar section and don’t want to get lost in the dark.

Past Salem I was bit relaxed as it was our frequent route to my Native (Nagercoil), as usual vehicle was cruising comfortably with less traffic on the road.

Here comes the cardiac event, at one point in time I remember suddenly opening my eyes on a straight empty stretch and hear only the engine noise, I don’t remember when did I close my eyes, oh my god I actually dozed off. I pulled over again near a tea shop, washed my face and had some hot tea, felt little better and continued my journey, sometimes I was even biting my tongue to keep me awake, it hurts not recommended. Within 30 minutes the same incident repeated and I could remember only opening my eyes and don’t know when I doze off.

God’s grace nothing happened and I was still driving, at this point it was definitely foolish to continue my journey, so in the next toll gate I pulled over and slept for an hour, I kept the driver side window slightly rolled down, may be an inch down and rest all closed and doors locked. By the way sleeping in the driver’s seat has its own challenge in terms of ergo, I had slight neck pain but yes that one hour of rest helped.

Driving during night must be avoided unless emergency. Drive safe. Vino
glovins2004 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 16:21   #473
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
I was driving a little fast and saw the tractor but I did not know that it was reversing until I got close to it.
Whenever you see People working on the Road, speed limits are technically reduce to half and speed fine doubles (In most countries)

It will be a good idea to reduce the speeds in future if you see some equipment/ men on the road.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 17:43   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovins2004 View Post
Past Salem I was bit relaxed as it was our frequent route to my Native ...
Here is an important lesson from one of my great driving gurus. She told me,
Quote:
You are not home until you walk into your house.
She said that many long-journey accidents happen close to home, because people feel they have made it already, and drop their guard.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 20:59   #475
BHPian

Quote:
She told me,She said that many long-journey accidents happen close to home, because people feel they have made it already, and drop their guard.
Hello Ginathom, absolutely you are spot on, last mile of the journey needs more focus to reach home safe. Point well taken.
Old 20th September 2020, 11:50   #476
BHPian

Mine's not as nail biting as some others, but a 2 wheeler took a spill next to me after jumping a traffic light here in Mumbai.

caffeineAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 16:07   #477
BHPian

I had a narrow escape in 2012 when I was doing a road trip from Vadodara to Spiti. The incident happened on the first day of our drive itself. We entered on Vadodara - Ahmedabad expressway within 20 minutes of the drive as my house was very close to highway.

The traffic was negligible & I was cruising at a speed of 110 when suddenly I heard a small thud and realized that I have touched the divider on my side of the road. It would have been a disaster at this speed. I was looking & guiding my wife to fix the navigator (MMI).

Lesson Learnt - I always stop my car to do things other than driving.
RahuKetu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 16:39   #478
Senior - BHPian

Heres mine. Deathwish. Some years back when i had a busa. On our way back from charoti, A sunday morning ride.
If you see the video you wll notice the Innova gets distracted by the bike with the camera, and inches ever so closely to the center divider. Me noticing a gap between car and truck went for the lunge. Although from the camera angle it doesnt look like theres much space but in reality there was. The innova suddenly realises its too close to the divider and moves sharply into me. Had this connected god knows how it would have ended. Luckly my Peripheral vision saved me collecting the innova and i rode on.
BUT. 5 minutes later the bike on which the camera is crashes. Rider error, jamed his brakes, upon noticing the vehicle in front of him suddenly come into his lane. No ABS, falls to the floor, skids and bike gets smashed onto the side of the road. Rider gets saved. No bystanders. Not a scratch on him except for torn gloves and riding gear. But bike is mangled. Lucky for him there was no traffic behind.

Last edited by danlalan : 9th October 2020 at 16:44.
danlalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 18:37   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Me noticing a gap between car and truck went for the lunge.
Why? Couldn't you wait?
Quote:
Although from the camera angle it doesnt look like theres much space but in reality there was. The innova suddenly realises its too close to the divider and moves sharply into me.
If a simple slight change of course of one vehicle put you in so much danger then no, there was not sufficient space.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 21:22   #480
BHPian

Happened this a while back while returning home.

atulsian is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks