Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2022, 13:38   #631
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerK View Post
Need to visit the service centre to get a estimate of repair costs and see how much this kids family is willing to pay for the repair costs as I want to avoid applying for insurance to keep the NCB (unless they don't pay anything).
Firstly, adjust the angle of rear camera. It is way off. Your legal case would've been a lot stronger if the kid's face was captured.

I know your feeling. Hyundai ASS will definitely recommend getting the bumper replaced and painted. An approximate figure should be 5-6k INR. You might be able to get it fixed at an FNG for cheaper by stitching the tear and just touching up the scratches. IMHO it is not worth claiming insurance unless you have Zero depreciation and NCB protect.

I'm not too hopeful about the monetary compensation from kid's parents. In all probability they'll just hit you with a sob story. You do have a strong legal case. But you've to consider whether it is worth your time and effort to pursue it in court.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 08:08   #632
Senior - BHPian

Encountered this sight on the highway between Davangere and Chitradurga.

A Thar on the middle lane and myself on the right were cruising at speed when the Thar suddenly braked and swerved; only to find a jaywalker darting across the road. A lesson in reaction times being favourable due to adequate CAS (Crash Avoidance Space)
Old 20th March 2022, 15:08   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
... the Thar suddenly braked and swerved; only to find a jaywalker darting across the road. A lesson in reaction times ...
Yes, keeping good distance.

Another lesson is there too: Behaviour of traffic ahead tells us stuff. If the vehicle ahead slows, we should probably slow too, at least until we know why.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 22:40   #634
BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Had a high-speed close call today on Kanakapura road in Bangalore with a bus that seemed to come out of nowhere. The evasive manoeuvre was pure instinct and the work of a guardian angel. To make it worse, a couple of seconds before this, there was a call on my phone and my attention went to the infotainment system to see who it was from.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th March 2022 at 07:33. Reason: Typos, please proofread. Thanks.
oh_maan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 09:49   #635
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_maan View Post
a couple of seconds before this, there was a call on my phone and my attention went to the infotainment system to see who it was from.
The white bus ahead went to the extreme left to make way for the KSRTC bus. It was a clear sign for you to follow. Allowing yourself to be distracted by the phone call was the cause for missing this.

It might also help to maintain a little more gap from the vehicle ahead, and drive a tad slower on undivided narrow roads like this.

Glad you are safe.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 12:16   #636
Senior - BHPian

This lane closure took me by surprise. This was seen on NH66, at Neendakara near Kollam, Kerala. The bike guy just cut into the right lane without the indicator - I think he was a local and was aware of this closure.

Thankfully it was uneventful - my wife & kids were all buckled up and were sleeping.

These kind of abrupt lane closure without any prior warnings or even a blinking light array is very dangerous at night. NHAI maintenance guys can't care any less anyway.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th April 2022 at 12:17.
clevermax is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th April 2022, 19:48   #637
Senior - BHPian

Intentional near miss:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cbckx...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I despise instagram more and more now and then I come across egregious posts like this only to add fuel. Watch it and see your blood boil.

Posting this on behalf of poor truck driver minding his own business. I can't be sure who exactly had a near miss. But I can definitely say we have horrible people on our roads roaming free.

If that wasn't enough, the comments section is full of people putting fire emojis praising the "skills".

What is wrong with people?

Last edited by amol4184 : 17th April 2022 at 19:51.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 20:50   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
That did make my blood boil.

The entire thing would have been very different if their "skills" were off by a fraction of a second. And frankly, I don't think anyone would have sympathized with them.
Old 19th April 2022, 00:33   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Intentional near miss:

But I can definitely say we have horrible people on our roads roaming free.

I hope this gets reported to police and guys be arrested for reckless driving and endangering others lives.

If, in attempt to save these idiots, truck driver had taken evasive action and lost control of truck, it could have resulted in catastrophe and innocent lives lost.
Old 19th April 2022, 07:58   #640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thankfully it was uneventful
Biker was the saviour here. If not for his manoeuvre you would have continued with the speed and braking at the right time would have been a problem.

Quote:
He poked Yamadharma raja but Yama was busy with some other life

Last edited by saisree : 19th April 2022 at 08:01.
Old 19th April 2022, 08:10   #641
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The bike guy just cut into the right lane without the indicator - I think he was a local and was aware of this closure.
The biker was at fault for not giving an indication but you are even at more fault by continuing at the same speed and honking. The biggest problem in our country is that we give importance to the size of the vehicle and not the humans. Bikes also need to be treated the same way you do to a 4W.

You can clearly see them turning right, so should have slowed for them as well for your own safety. If due to any reasons, they had to brake, like rumble strip or some broken patch before diversion (very common) you could have hit them. Horns are used to draw attention, they cannot make the other person vanish from the road.

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th April 2022 at 08:12.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 10:39   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The biker was at fault for not giving an indication but you are even at more fault by continuing at the same speed and honking.
In what circumstances can we actually honk then? This would have been one sure-shot case for honking even in countries with an excellent driving culture. People will honk at you if you cut into their lane all of a sudden. This is from my experience driving in the EU. Even though honking is extremely less in those countries, you are guaranteed to get honked at if you cut into someone's lane without any indication. This is what the biker did here. I would have honked even if it was a car and the reason for my honking cannot be attributed to me looking down upon bikers in general (I don't look down upon two-wheeler users).

Regarding me continuing straight - I was not on high beams. Usually, I don't drive with high beams on, through a busy 2-lane highway. (The 4 lane seen in the video was only some 500 meters) The road is very familiar to me, but I was not aware of the abrupt lane closure. There were no prior warning signs and no blinking lights. It is only when my car's headlight illuminated the traffic cones I started braking.

The biker was a blessing in disguise - at least they made me slow down a bit because of their lane jump without indicators.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th April 2022 at 10:44.
clevermax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 10:45   #643
BHPian

Quote:
This lane closure took me by surprise.
No doubt the NH guys should have put better effort in informing of a lane closure.

But, if you go by the basic rule of slowing down while approaching an intersection, which can be easily figured looking at the no u-turn board and the bright lights on the road joining the NH, you wouldn't have faced this hassle. A little patience, with some lifting off the A-pedal and coasting could have kept you chilled.

Plus, no offense, you clearly didn't seem to slow down even after the two wheeler was deep into the first lane. As Turbanator said, honking and flashing won't make anyone disappear.

Something we Indians really take for granted is to not slow down at intersections. We should, even if we have right of way. Makes the situation safer for everyone.

Quote:
Intentional near miss:
The video is not available.

But coming to Instagram, the sheer amount of nonsense being posted with respect to road maneuvers and behavior boils my blood. Then there's people who torture their cars and bikes. Then there's those idiots who follow, support and motivate them to pull off even more such nonsense. Don't know when Instagram will come up with a policy on moderating such nonsense. But hey! Views!!

Last edited by TROOPER : 19th April 2022 at 10:54.
TROOPER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 11:24   #644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The biker was at fault for not giving an indication but you are even at more fault by continuing at the same speed and honking. The biggest problem in our country is that we give importance to the size of the vehicle and not the humans. Bikes also need to be treated the same way you do to a 4W.

You can clearly see them turning right, so should have slowed for them as well for your own safety. If due to any reasons, they had to brake, like rumble strip or some broken patch before diversion (very common) you could have hit them. Horns are used to draw attention, they cannot make the other person vanish from the road.
Time and time again this thread (and the bad drivers thread) gets to see where people post videos to point out faults in others while missing out the ones at their end.

Quote:
In what circumstances can we actually honk then?

The biker was a blessing in disguise - at least they made me slow down a bit because of their lane jump without indicators.
Kudos to you for flashing first at the bikers, before honking. Honking was unavoidable in this situation, but I guess the unnecessary i-am-pissed-off honking is where you faulted, honking even after the divider is clearly visible. But that happens with all of us, and an area of improving.

These are one of those incidents where you'd thank your stars the way things turned out. Chances are high that you would have braked so hard that your family would have woken up, if not for the bikers (even with their wrong non-blinkers lane shift).
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2022, 11:42   #645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In what circumstances can we actually honk then? This would have been one sure-shot case for honking even in countries with an excellent driving culture. People will honk at you if you cut into their lane all of a sudden.
Right, because mostly Horns as the intended use is to draw the attention of someone doing a mistake. Usually, it's taken as an insult in most developed countries and people tend to improve their road manners.

Quote:
This is what the biker did here. I would have honked even if it was a car and the reason for my honking cannot be attributed to me looking down upon bikers in general.
Most importantly, slow down while passing such intersections or the populated towns. I don't think most two-wheelers are going to bother about horns especially when they are in their own village or locality. They expect the others to slow down, irrespective of the right of way or waiting to let the traffic pass. They are always in hurry to cover that 500 mtr distance between home and that neighbourhood shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Time and time again this thread (and the bad drivers thread) gets to see where people post videos to point out faults in others while missing out the ones at their end.
I usually don't post in this thread but seeing some of the posters hitting or almost hitting the bikers (irrespective of the fault), I shudder to fathom how we treat others, sitting in a bigger vehicle with little respect for fellow human lives.

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th April 2022 at 11:44.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks