Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2022, 07:29   #751
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

This happened near Decathlon on Bannerghatta Road. I noticed this guy having an argument with a traffic cop and his car direction looked like, as if he is trying to escape.

I applied brakes and waited and then he escaped with a narrow gap.

chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 22:57   #752
Distinguished - BHPian

Heights of randomness on a national highway - When there is a freshly laid road and then a random barricade that's placed right at the angle of a drivers perspective. Huge credit to the tyres which held so well in the double swerve and the dynamics of the car. Zero understeer or oversteer.

audioholic is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 22:15   #753
BHPian

Another near miss yesterday. This time with a fool driving a Mercedes.

Firstly, there is no way we can overtake a vehicle in moving traffic when there are not one, but TWO Solid lines separating the traffic.

Secondly, this overtaking maneuver was anyway not possible, even if overtaking was allowed.

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 18:07   #754
BHPian

This happened after Vellore on NH48, Chennai to Blore highway

Bikers in front fell off at road diversion. Rains, poorly lit under construction road and intoxicated bikers made a perfect recipe for trouble. Vehicle with dash cam is Jeep Compass. ABS was hard at work even while taken the sharp turn.

Last edited by deepakdsz : 14th November 2022 at 18:15.
deepakdsz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 12:56   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakdsz View Post
This happened after Vellore on NH48, Chennai to Blore highway

Bikers in front fell off at road diversion. Rains, poorly lit under construction road and intoxicated bikers made a perfect recipe for trouble. Vehicle with dash cam is Jeep Compass. ABS was hard at work even while taken the sharp turn.

https://Youtu.be/LKItRTDTAqM
Why did you turn that way? Just remain straight in such situation. You covered up the barricade completely and your brake lights were also pointing in the wrong direction. Very dangerous position to be in on a fast moving highway.

Edit: Just saw that there was another barricade behind your vehicle. But I would not park in such a way on a highway.

Be safe.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 15th November 2022 at 12:59.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 08:25   #756
BHPian

I had a sort of close shave yesterday. This was inside Tech park and I had turned on my indicators well in advance showing my intention to turn right.

The two wheeler guy was behind me initially and should have seen the indication. Next instant when I checked my rear view mirror I see him moving to my right. My assumption was that he too wanted to enter the same building where I was going as he would have seen my indicator.

Then I proceed to turn right and see that the two wheeler person wanted to go straight. He decided to overtake me from right side despite knowing that I would be turning right and almost came in my way.

My general observation is that people drive/ride more sensibly inside tech park/gated societies and did not expect such behaviour but I was wrong.

Front camera recording

Rear camera recording
Meph1st0 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 10:34   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
My general observation is that people drive/ride more sensibly inside tech park/gated societies and did not expect such behavior but I was wrong.
Both of you were at fault. He for obvious reasons; you for staying in the middle lane till the end. You had nothing to obstruct you to shift to the empty right lane much earlier. Check the Toyota behind you to get an idea of the better (& earlier) lane shift he's doing.

Also, the car in front & behind you in your lane were heading ahead so the biker probably assumed you'd do the same too (while ignoring/missing your indicator); and is probably putting up a similar rant post like yours somewhere else (or in conversations with his colleagues).
ninjatalli is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 11:21   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Both of you were at fault. He for obvious reasons; you for staying in the middle lane till the end. You had nothing to obstruct you to shift to the empty right lane much earlier. Check the Toyota behind you to get an idea of the better (& earlier) lane shift he's doing.

Also, the car in front & behind you in your lane were heading ahead so the biker probably assumed you'd do the same too (while ignoring/missing your indicator); and is probably putting up a similar rant post like yours somewhere else (or in conversations with his colleagues).
Yeah I guess I was a bit late to start to move to the right lane immediately after barricade. But later I did not move due to the same two wheeler. I started moving somewhere midway but probably that cue was not enough for the guy who missed indicators. Some learning for the next time.
Old 17th November 2022, 16:16   #759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Both of you were at fault.
The biker does not even initiate his overtake until Meph1st0 is already doing his right turn. I make that 100% biker fault.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 17:21   #760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The biker does not even initiate his overtake until Meph1st0 is already doing his right turn. I make that 100% biker fault.
It's easy to figure the biker is at fault - there's no dispute there.

But from the OP's perspective, there's no reason to stay on the middle lane when the right lane is completely empty (and he has to turn right). I found the OP also at fault simply because he thought an indicator is enough and turned late at the entrance point only - I would have taken the right (& correct) lane much earlier and hence my view as above.
ninjatalli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 22:03   #761
BHPian

This one happened last month on my drive to Udupi.

While crossing the Sharavathy bridge there were several heavy vehicles (tankers and trucks) on the other direction.

Suddenly a truck wanted to execute an overtake. Unfortunately, for him, I was coming in the opposite direction. He very clearly saw my vehicle coming, but did not abort the overtake and continued to drive head on. I had to keep my calm and moved over to the left side crossing the yellow line, closer to the bridge side wall. Luckily for me there were no two wheelers in that space, where they normally ply. The truck moved only so much to his left, at the last second, as to leave enough space for my vehicle. Very scary moments.

Capri89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 22:27   #762
Senior - BHPian

Had a close call recently on a night drive. My fault. ABS Saved the day.
The ABS ripple noise is clearly heard in the footage.

clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 22:03   #763
anb
BHPian

Dangerous overtaking attempt by bolero pickup. I had to brake hard to almost stationary to avoid a collision

anb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 00:07   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Heights of randomness on a national highway
https://Youtu.be/FW_mCYGTDU0
I had a similar encounter recently. You had an extremely close call as you were quite close to the bus in front.

In my case, I was carefully moving to the left lane, however my speed was around 100 km/hr when this tyre came from nowhere. I moved back towards my lane a little after spotting it.

There was a broken down truck at some distance ahead.

If I had hit this tyre, it would have been catastrophic.

My learning, that we should ensure that the way is clear before changing lanes, was reinforced!

MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 00:36   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
I had a sort of close shave yesterday. This was inside Tech park and I had turned on my indicators well in advance showing my intention to turn right.

The two wheeler guy was behind me initially and should have seen the indication. Next instant when I checked my rear view mirror I see him moving to my right. My assumption was that he too wanted to enter the same building where I was going as he would have seen my indicator.

Then I proceed to turn right and see that the two wheeler person wanted to go straight. He decided to overtake me from right side despite knowing that I would be turning right and almost came in my way.

My general observation is that people drive/ride more sensibly inside tech park/gated societies and did not expect such behaviour but I was wrong.

Front camera recording
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Qg0Xw2vJ7Po

Rear camera recording
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Ucxfzf7R3zo
I have observed this behaviour a lot in manyata.

The 2nd guy on scooty too was oblivious of your indicators it seems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks