Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2024, 18:26   #991
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX+ View Post
I was cruising all along till Akarshardham, when suddenly I felt the strong jerks in the steering and car sway towards left.

I was jolted and it didn't take long for me to realise that I had slept off.
The same thing happened to me last Sunday night. You were saved by ADAS, but I was saved by a thud.

It was around 9 pm. Me, parents & wife were travelling in our car. Our return journey was of around 900 km & we had planned it in such a way that we did 750 km on day 1 and balance on the next morning. So as per the plan, we were about 96 km away from our halt for the night. However, at this point I was dead tired and wanted to sleep at least from a couple of hours before this incident. We were passing through a small town wherein the road was under construction. I crawl into one of the many troughs in 1st gear. While getting out of it and joining the road, we all felt a loud thud at around the right bottom of the car and I was startled. This loud sound made me realize that I was asleep & was unaware about it. The Corolla Altis is a relatively tall car on a flat surface and if something has hit the underbody means it has got to be big and strong.

I got down of the car on that dark road & bent down to see if there is any damage to any critical component. It will not be a hyperbole if I say that I felt like sleeping on that road itself while being bent. Numerous thoughts came to my mind. We decided to wait at the roadside for about half an hour during which I would get a power nap and also if there are any probable leakages, they would surface. My nap lasted for an hour, thereafter I inspected the underbody, fluid levels, body etc., and scanned the car. With nothing untoward being seen, we finished the rest 96.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 19:58   #992
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Had a near miss on this Friday the 8th of March. Was returning from Chennai via Chitoor to Bangalore. Near Mogili, just after Chitoor, there is a slight incline across a few small hills. the highway is rated as a 80 Km/Hr stretch at this point.
it was about 715 pm, and we were at about 75 KM/hr, and a trailer truck was parked across two lanes, broken down. No lights, no indication and four people on the road between the leftmost lane and the shoulder.

Luckily for us, a Brezza ahead of us saw it in the nick of time, though his hard braking took him off the road into gravel.
The ABS on my Corolla quickly got it under control. Was really scary of a bit. No use shouting at the poor cleaner and driver as they were forced to drive an overloaded truck.

Map and streetview from Google attached.

[ATTACH=Screenshot 20240310 at 19.40.11.png]Your near-miss experiences on the road-screenshot-20240310-19.38.52.png[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Your near-miss experiences on the road-screenshot-20240310-19.40.11.png  

Last edited by skrao : 10th March 2024 at 20:00. Reason: spelling
skrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 21:27   #993
BHPian

I was minding my own business at 30kmph in a ghat road in left lane. A motorcyclist who was in his own world drifted into opposite lane onto my path in a curve. My horn woke him up from his distraction and he went to his lane at the last moment avoiding an accident.

The video:

https://www.kapwing.com/videos/65f5bee4a6eac189d1b3a229

In my defence, I was driving slow with 100% attention to the road. I had dashcam. I horned at the earliest.

Points against me:
I did not prophylactically horn before the curve.
I did not brake or swerve but just applied horn.

I learnt from this incident and by reflex I horn and brakeplus or minus swerve simultaneously.
This learning came to my rescue in this accident which I avoided my involvement thankfully.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ml#post5734160 (Accidents in India | Pics & Videos)
Arwin07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 17:09   #994

Date: 17th April 2024 (10:30 am)
Location: Goraguntepalya (On the way to Jalahalli), Bangalore, India

This happened to me on my way to Jalahalli on my electric two-wheeler. The two-wheeler seen in the video is a 2018 Hero Electric Flash E5 (Top Speed: 40kmph).

As this is a slow vehicle, I tried to be on the left lane to make way for the other passing vehicle on the right. The extreme left lane, after the traffic signal, has a bus stand, due to which I couldn't be on that lane. And out of nowhere, the auto-rickshaw merged into the lane that I was in, where I had a near miss with the vehicle. The auto-rickshaw was not in sight due to the truck behind it. Fortunately, nothing happened and I was glad I was able to apply the brakes in the nick of time.
RohanMahantesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 17:28   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanMahantesh View Post
Date: 17th April 2024 (10:30 am)
Location: Goraguntepalya (On the way to Jalahalli), Bangalore, India

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=QySVGvxEiQQ

Not entirely your fault, but I'd rather be driving defensively on such a crowded road than be sorry later.

In your video, from the 12th second onwards, one can see the Tempo slowing down, and you continue to maintain your constant speed.

You should have slowed down a bit soon as you see the Tempo slowing down, just in case. That gives you a second or 2 more to react and slam brakes.

In this instance, you were lucky enough to not have a larger vehicle tailing you. That collision would have been far worse.

Lesson to be learnt : DENENSIVE and ANTICIPATORY riding/driving in our crowded cities with unorganized traffic can save quite a bit of close shaves/unwanted bumps
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 17:34   #996

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Not entirely your fault, but I'd rather be driving defensively on such a crowded road than be sorry later.

In your video, from the 12th second onwards, one can see the Tempo slowing down, and you continue to maintain your constant speed.

You should have slowed down a bit soon as you see the Tempo slowing down, just in case. That gives you a second or 2 more to react and slam brakes.

In this instance, you were lucky enough to not have a larger vehicle tailing you. That collision would have been far worse.

Lesson to be learnt : DENENSIVE and ANTICIPATORY riding/driving in our crowded cities with unorganized traffic can save quite a bit of close shaves/unwanted bumps
True, I am at fault here too. I should have slowed down looking at the tempo, but I went forward thinking it was about to stop at the bus stand.

I was fortunate that there were no large vehicles tailgating me. I realised the fact that no matter how fast or slow you go on the road, you need to be very cautious of the surroundings.
Old 18th April 2024, 20:28   #997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanMahantesh View Post
And out of nowhere, the auto-rickshaw merged into the lane that I was in, where I had a near miss with the vehicle. The auto-rickshaw was not in sight due to the truck behind it. Fortunately, nothing happened and I was glad I was able to apply the brakes in the nick of time.
I would suggest this: next time, and every time, you pass a vehicle which you cannot see past or through, expect that someone will come from in front of it. Being a little further away from it would have increased your angle of view. Do not drive close up to others.

The auto driver should have taken into account that he could not be seen, too. Just a little further forward, and he would have been more visible. At least he was emerging with some caution, and you were driving slowly.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 22:47   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I would suggest this: next time, and every time, you pass a vehicle which you cannot see past or through, expect that someone will come from in front of it.
This is exactly what I do too as part of defensive driving. Always helps
ssateesh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks