Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 21:20   #511
BANNED

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
Found these 2 videos while cleaning junk from my external disk.
What dash cam is this and where is this mounted?
Is this RE thunderbird?
Old 21st March 2021, 22:28   #512
BANNED

I was travelling today with my family in Kerala, through Ettumanoor-Manarcad bypass. Had a scary near miss experience, video below.

pavi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 22:43   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I was travelling today with my family in Kerala, through Ettumanoor-Manarcad bypass. Had a scary near miss experience
You seem to have approached that intersection at speeds in excess of 60 kmph? Quite the wrong thing to do, especially in Kerala.
binand is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 23:05   #514
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You seem to have approached that intersection at speeds in excess of 60 kmph? Quite the wrong thing to do, especially in Kerala.
It may seem like two main road intersection, but that is a pocket road merging to the main road. Also that guy took a right after I crossed him, to enter the bypass road.

Note: I don't have rear facing camera.
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:44   #515
BHPian

Let me share my experience, which happened this Saturday!

When I was dropping my friend at his home in my 2014 Honda City, suddenly I was about to hit a biker, who was riding at a good speed, but, in the end, the ABS had saved me from not hitting that biker!

And, another incident, which is today, when I went out on work in my car, I almost hit a lady, who was waiting to take a right turn to reach her destination, but luckily didn't happen anything and again, the ABS had saved me from not hitting that lady but when I applied the brakes, another Activa came from behind and hit the mirror but, luckily, the mirror was intact.

And, in July 2020, when I was on my Aprilia SR150(which has good braking power), a dog came from the middle of the road, where I had to apply the sudden brakes and I almost went on to hit a car, which was in stationery mode and luckily, I didn't hit the car and was saved from the accident that day.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 23rd March 2021 at 19:57. Reason: Few mistakes
Old 5th April 2021, 01:12   #516

I was driving to Visakhapatnam from Puri and this fellow takes a sudden turn without checking for traffic or indicating that he is turning. My speed was about 80-85 km/h and I had to brake hard and take evasive action so as not to hit the rider.

This is a recurring problem with two-wheelers and the first finger always points to the car driver if a mishap occurs.

knan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 20:35   #517
BHPian

1. Bangalore - Mysore highway. It all happened in about 3 secs.

Me and 2 friends were travelling towards Mysore in Jan. A Bolero, parked on the side (or left lane) of the road, suddenly decides its time to take that U turn. Without checking if anyone is behind him, he just goes for it.

I took a sudden 'right' turn (and also braked, 'I think') to sway past the Bolero and I saw an Alto on my path. And I took a sudden 'left' turn to not hit the Alto/vehicles from the opposite side.
ESP to the rescue I guess.

I slowed for a sec, took a deep breath and spilled out some curses. Bolero guy coolly completed his U turn and went away.

My friends have advised me that its better to brake hard in a straight line than attempting to sway pass through the sides.

2. Scooter turns to wrong side of road, that too, without checking

srikanthmadhava is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:31   #518
Team-BHP Support

Had a close shave last weekend while returning from a trip to Pondicherry. After Tindivanam, where the road merges to the 4-laned road, a WR-V was stopping and my concentration lapsed for a split-second! Noticed the car at the last moment and braked, slowing down. Would have banged the car otherwise.

Purely my mistake.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:08   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Had a close shave last weekend while returning from a trip to Pondicherry. After Tindivanam, where the road merges to the 4-laned road, a WR-V was stopping and my concentration lapsed for a split-second! Noticed the car at the last moment and braked, slowing down. Would have banged the car otherwise.

https://Youtu.be/Jis7z5dzcq4

Purely my mistake.
I feel WR-V driver is also at fault here. He didn't check before switching to the left most lane. Had he checked his mirrors, he'd have slowed down to let you pass first then pull to the side. Glad that you noticed it last minute and avoided the crash.
Akshay6988 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:07   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Purely my mistake.
He crosses you and stops in front of you? That's pretty rude, if not completely wrong. I admire your humility, but I wouldn't admit that this was purely your mistake, even though you admit to a concentration lapse.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:52   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
He crosses you and stops in front of you? That's pretty rude, if not completely wrong. I admire your humility, but I wouldn't admit that this was purely your mistake, even though you admit to a concentration lapse.
He had turned on the indicator. I realised this at the last moment. Had I slowed down earlier, there would have been ample gap between the two of us. What does the right of way say here? Should the car joining the main road give way to the one slowing down and pulling over?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 17:23   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Should the car joining the main road give way to the one slowing down and pulling over?
The car on the main road has the first right of way and we are expected to do a shoulder check before we merge. But, in your case, I would blame the WRV. He should have been in the left already and would have helped you to slow down in the first instance
saisree is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 18:11   #523
BHPian

If I am gonna move THAT extreme to the left I would honk with intervals from the time I turn on the left indicator. A honk always makes one aware of your presence during such time.

And yes, I wouldn't stop so quickly like the WR-V guy. That's why I am always being shouted upon by my parents when they spot a vegetable vendor and ask me to stop and I stop it a LOT ahead at safe distance making them walk. They then change their intention of buying altogether sometimes. "Jau de ata, evdha kon chalel!" (Marathi: Let it be. Who will walk so much!)
RavSam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 22:13   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
If I am gonna move THAT extreme to the left I would honk with intervals from the time I turn on the left indicator. A honk always makes one aware of your presence during such time.

And yes, I wouldn't stop so quickly like the WR-V guy. That's why I am always being shouted upon by my parents when they spot a vegetable vendor and ask me to stop and I stop it a LOT ahead at safe distance making them walk. They then change their intention of buying altogether sometimes. "Jau de ata, evdha kon chalel!" (Marathi: Let it be. Who will walk so much!)
These are the exact words (that too in Marathi) uttered by my parents in such situations. I'm travelling at 60 kmph and they just expect me to stop then and there when they see something.
ronford is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 00:36   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He had turned on the indicator. I realised this at the last moment. Had I slowed down earlier, there would have been ample gap between the two of us. What does the right of way say here? Should the car joining the main road give way to the one slowing down and pulling over?
I watched the video properly. I had only skimmed it before. I didn't even realise that you had just joined the main road. And hey, you were there! I withdraw comment.

Speaking generally, yes, traffic on the main road has the right of way.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed