Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 01:53   #586
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
We were cruising at close to 80kmph maintaining sufficient gap from a bus in front. At one point the bus driver slowed down and stopped dead in the middle of the lane to unboard a passenger - I couldn't judge how fast it slowed down and almost rear ended it. We stopped just in the nick of time thanks to the excellent breaks on the Altroz.
Good to hear that no one was hurt, but from the video I feel you need to maintain little bit more gap. It's should always be more than 3 seconds.
nandrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 11:51   #587
BHPian

The left brake light lit up. The right one did not !. But be happy at least one brake light works!. Now when it lit up, from the distance you were behind, it was quite visible and certainly catchable. You probably missed it.

Be far far more alert henceforth, particularly behind such huge buses and trucks as it is zero visibility for us beyond them and hence we are struggling to anticipate any of their moves.

Now lets not get into whether the bus is allowed to stop there as it is not a designated bus stop and all those rules on paper .
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 00:52   #588
BHPian

Kerala’s roads never fail to throw surprises at you. Even for a moment if I was distracted I would have ended up in serious trouble.
Night Raven is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 16:57   #589
Senior - BHPian

This happened around 7-8 years back. The road was an undivided, two lane, neatly laid carriageway. At speeds of 50-ish, I could see a hatchback parked on the left side about 300m away. Just as we were about 50m behind him, the guy moved right and started driving without checking his RVMs. From the opposite direction a private bus was coming at speeds similar to mine. There was no way a car could come to a stop with those speeds at that distance. Thankfully the bus driver was alert and he made just enough space for me to pass between the car and bus, with mere centimetres between the three vehicles.

A couple of months back, just moments into my return trip from Tirupati, I saw a sedan behind who seemed to be waiting for an opportunity to pass ahead. This was also a two-lane road without dividers. There were 2-3 two-wheelers a little ahead of me. A speed hump was approaching, and as I slowed down I observed one of the bikes signalling a right turn, so I moved to extreme left as I neared the hump. The sedan possibly thought I was making way for him to pass. He moved to the center of the road, but it occurred to me that he was not aware of the bike aiming for a right turn. So I came to a dead stop anticipating a hard swerve from him, since there was only an auto and another bike behind me at a safe distance. Turned out to be correct. He started picking up speed after passing the hump but the bike was directly in his path. He swerved left and avoided the bike, and stopped for a few moments before resuming.
adisan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2021, 14:48   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
This happened around 7-8 years back. The road was an undivided, two lane, neatly laid carriageway. At speeds of 50-ish, I could see a hatchback parked on the left side about 300m away. Just as we were about 50m behind him, the guy moved right and started driving without checking his RVMs. From the opposite direction a private bus was coming at speeds similar to mine. There was no way a car could come to a stop with those speeds at that distance. Thankfully the bus driver was alert and he made just enough space for me to pass between the car and bus, with mere centimetres between the three vehicles.
Curious to understand whether you consciously chose to take the gap and occupy the space in the bus’ lane. If the bus wouldn’t have moved it’d have been a very very serious accident for you.

Hard braking at 50kph should be possible within 50m had you “covered the brake”. Even if not, at 50m away at 50kph you had over 3 seconds to react and brake. A rear ending to the hatchback at say even 30kph would have been better than the other risk.
Of course not sure if it was a conscious decision or your brain responded on autopilot.
Old 3rd November 2021, 10:14   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
Curious to understand whether you consciously chose to take the gap....
The bus driver might have foreseen that the parked car was about to get in my way. He had already moved left to make room for me to pass in between.
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:55   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Thankfully the bus driver was alert and he made just enough space for me to pass between the car and bus, with mere centimeters between the three vehicles.
A close miss there. This would have been disastrous if not for this driver. Keep him in your prayers _/\_.

Quote:
A couple of months back, just moments into my return trip from Tirupati,
Tirupati road either it be from Bangalore or Chennai is know for numerous close shaves and misses and the worst of them title goes to Chennai - Tirupati.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 18:40   #593
BHPian

Just stumbled upon this thread and I had to share this gem of a "genius" driver I had to face a couple of months back.

Cheers
Krishna
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 19:23   #594
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
I had a scary experience....The water splashed from the wheels of the truck and blinded me for a couple of seconds
Watched this video few times and each time it made me feel claustrophobic. That is scary, also noticed the truck guy stopped the vehicle too alongside you. Wonder if he did it out of concern realising the water splashed by his wheels. If so, that's very considerate of him.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 11:02   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
If so, that's very considerate of him.
Given that the car driver was blinded by water, sudden braking by the truck driver might have been disastrous for the car if they had not held the line and swerved even slightly to the left. Truck should have stopped on the hard shoulder if he wanted to be considerate.
StopUnderrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 23:48   #596
BHPian

Got another little scary surprise today on my way back from work.
Not sure if the guy was drunk or unwell, somehow he lost balance. Could have been bad if the driver had lost control and fallen down in front of me.
Night Raven is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 19:22   #597
BHPian

Too many of these idiots on our roads. She strolled across the road without a care in the world.

NG_EV is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 12:23   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
https://Youtu.be/vJeSW4cU1wQ

Kerala’s roads never fail to throw surprises at you. Even for a moment if I was distracted I would have ended up in serious trouble.
Yes, winding narrow roads, hills and many more factors make it unique.. I have many incidents on my dashcam, just sharing one.

The interesting thing is the indignation of the opposite driver. He was saying that he had honked before the incident, hence somehow it was my fault. I have tried to obscure his face for his privacy with my limited video editing skills.
drshajul is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 13:50   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshajul View Post

https://Youtu.be/h1aGIT_NQMA

The interesting thing is the indignation of the opposite driver. He was saying that he had honked before the incident, hence somehow it was my fault. I have tried to obscure his face for his privacy with my limited video editing skills.
Oh my!! That’s quite a heart in the mouth moment. I generally keep my foot ready on the brake when I see a parked bus because there is more than 50% chance of someone trying to overtake like this or crossing the road behind that blind spot.
Hope that man would have learned flashing headlights and honking doesn’t always help.
Night Raven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 14:24   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshajul View Post
Y
https://Youtu.be/h1aGIT_NQMA

The interesting thing is the indignation of the opposite driver. He was saying that he had honked before the incident, hence somehow it was my fault.
I had faced a similar incident near Mahisal village on my way from Miraj to Bijapur. A guy on a bullet just changed into our lane to overtake a Bus that was slowing for a stop, we had no option but to get LH wheels of the road at about 70-80 kph. Luckily we were in a colleagues Fortuner and it had the GC for it.
A Mumbai registered City behind us tried the same and not only had an high speed under scrape but also got a tap on the tail by a KSRTC bus behind him.
Every one even those from opposite side stopped, but the motorcyclist who caused all this did not.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks