Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2021, 15:04   #601
BHPian

Re: Your near-miss experiences on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Oh my!! That’s quite a heart in the mouth moment. I generally keep my foot ready on the brake when I see a parked bus because there is more than 50% chance of someone trying to overtake like this or crossing the road behind that blind spot. Hope that man would have learned flashing headlights and honking doesn’t always help.
Yes, I am always careful after that

Last edited by drshajul : 10th November 2021 at 15:08. Reason: wrong data
Old 12th November 2021, 10:40   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
I generally keep my foot ready on the brake when I see a parked bus because there is more than 50% chance of someone trying to overtake like this or crossing the road behind that blind spot.
True, and quite possible that the pedestrians will be absorbed in their thoughts, and not mindful of the traffic.

When I approach a bus waiting at a bus stop, I make sure to considerably slow down. We might be confident that we can stop in time when needed even while maintaining higher speeds. But people (both pedestrians and drivers) might panic if they see a vehicle approaching at a faster pace. When panicked, a person is more likely to react in ways that lead to unfortunate incidents.
Old 12th November 2021, 19:23   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

My near miss experience, aged about 14.

Got off the bus, coming home from school, ran across the front of the bus to cross the road. An overtaking car literally took the coat I was carrying out of my hands. I was completely unharmed. The bus driver gave me a huge telling off.

I never did that again. And, as a driver, I always look for the people who do.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 21:47   #604
BHPian

The age old question of would you risk your/your friends/family's safety over the idiot who have no regard to their own well being. My answer has always been NO. If you play stupid games, you're going to win stupid prizes. I will try to avoid the situation to the best of my abilities. But I for sure won't go out of my way to protect him/her.

In this instance even after spotting the huge yellow truck and the bike overtaking it, this person decided to cross the rather wide (in Kerala terms) single lane road. I could've stopped if I braked hard enough. Leaving me at the mercy of whoever behind me.

I have been in a similar situation before. That day the lady kept running to the bus she was trying to catch without a care in the world. I stood there looking at the broken bootlid and bumper of my Ritz.

This time I calculated his pace, left him enough space without startling the scooter in the opposite lane and continued onward. Would I have done the same had the situation been a bit different? Probably no. Had it been a kid or had he shown the tell tale signs of unpredictability, I would've braked despite the risks involved. But his waving gesture just showed ignorance or arrogance. Hand gestures are not going to let you defy laws of physics.

Fortunately for him, he did manage to cross the road in one piece.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 12th November 2021 at 21:55.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 10:29   #605
Senior - BHPian

I had just turned 12 years old. A few weeks into the annual school vacations, we went to Tirumala, where my head was tonsured. Having had a fancy for the white floppy hat worn by test cricketers, the tonsure presented a good opportunity and so I got one as soon as we returned.

One evening we went to Marine Drive. As we exited from the bus and started walking, a strong breeze blew off my hat on to the road. Without thinking, I ran after the hat. There was a bus coming, but was already slowing down as the bus stop was near. The driver was able to stop in time. Also, in those days traffic was only a fraction of what it is today, and the speed limits in city was 35 kmph.

There is a saying, if a ball rolls on to the road, a child will follow soon. Guess it applies to hat as well.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 18:16   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

Not mine but just came across this video of two bikers on RE Bullets traversing near the Zojila Pass. One of them despite a forewarning by the other, purportedly tries to overtake a truck from the cliff side on that narrow stretch that's a wet dirt track and not exactly a road worth its name. In making this attempt the bike slips, bends with this biker to the right cliff side, towards the valley portion. Please also note that the truck is illegally overloaded with pipes protruding some metres in addition to the registered length of the transport vehicle. The biker is saved though but its his foolish adrenaline that makes him again drive fast, come very close to this potential killer truck and follow it. One must always keep double the safe braking distance away from such trucks with murderous tools. Any emergency braking by the truck and the steel pipes will pierce the torso of this biker.

The link:-

https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-n...areurltracking

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th November 2021 at 18:17.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 09:35   #607
anb
BHPian

Missed spotting a hairpin sign and went straight in an unfamiliar ghat road, but managed to brake and stop the car in time.

anb is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 10:28   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Missed spotting a hairpin sign and went straight in an unfamiliar ghat road, but managed to brake and stop the car in time.
That was a close call. Typically what I do even when driving on such roads is to remain on low beams and that itself helps me drive at slower speeds than usual. However, when on regular occasions, I keep switching to high beam for a second back revert back to low so I can assess what lies ahead and if I need to slow down further.

Another thing that I have heavily relied upon is to keep the maps/navigation running. I have an experience of driving on roads full of fog on NH17 (Bombay - Goa) and navigation screen aided immensely to know what kind of curve it was (Hairpin/Sharp curve etc).

But between the 2, I will always prefer the lighting trick.
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 10:38   #609
Senior - BHPian

Close call indeed. I have been through such an experience once as well. In my case, I realized I was a bit too fast for the road and dark atmosphere. Add to that, I drive with specs, which means my visibility is further reduced when compared to others. I felt in your case the road sign was a bit too close to the actual bend, It should have been placed a little more ahead.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 12:18   #610
BHPian

3 near misses on 2nd day of new year in single drive.

Wife and parents in law were with me whole time on this drive.
When we reached home I was strictly warned to never drive down from Bangalore to Jamshedpur ( Which I have done twice already) and vice versa having encountered these many of close calls in single drive .

I experienced sudden pressure buildup in chest in all 3 occasions and can understand the parents view.

Here is the video of 3 near misses .

KumarS is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 13:21   #611
Senior - BHPian

Some people think that they have the right of way as soon as they have their indicator on. Sometimes they will switch on their indicator while passing another vehicle - in its blind spot, and immediately start changing lanes. The necessity of giving indications at least a few hundred metres prior, to allow others to see and adjust to their indicator, seems to be a totally alien concept to such people.
adisan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 17:11   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
Some people think that they have the right of way as soon as they have their indicator on. Sometimes they will switch on their indicator while passing another vehicle - in its blind spot, and immediately start changing lanes. The necessity of giving indications at least a few hundred metres prior, to allow others to see and adjust to their indicator, seems to be a totally alien concept to such people.
Very often now, I have noticed that as soon as one switches on their indicator to change lanes, the car behind will always try to speed up irrespective of how far it is. And if one car does that the one behind it will follow that car right up till his bumper so that you can't get into their lane.

Only reason I indicate well before and let everyone and anyone overtake, even if I have to slow down, and once they have gone that's when I change my lane, no one likes hitting their brakes it seems, everyone's in a hurry these days.

And if I see someone indicating well in advance, I always slow down and allow them to switch lanes irrespective of whether the car ahead of me did/ didn't, although the ones who do not indicate and try bullying their way in face a long horn and high beams.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 17:54   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
3 near misses on 2nd day of new year in single drive.

Wife and parents in law were with me whole time on this drive.
When we reached home I was strictly warned to never drive down from Bangalore to Jamshedpur ( Which I have done twice already) and vice versa having encountered these many of close calls in single drive .

I experienced sudden pressure buildup in chest in all 3 occasions and can understand the parents view.

Here is the video of 3 near misses .
These are not incidents specific to this route, it can happen anywhere in India. What I would suggest is to try and avoid night time travel on highways.

You were very lucky when it came to the kid.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2022, 18:48   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
These are not incidents specific to this route, it can happen anywhere in India. What I would suggest is to try and avoid night time travel on highways.
Correct, not specific to this route but concern was mainly because of highway drive for extended period. Given,we get the news of accidents daily in paper, parent's concern can not negated (no matter how grown-up we are).

That drive was in evening, 6 PM around, because of winter season, sun sets early that side.

Quote:
You were very lucky when it came to the kid.
Yes, couldn't thank more to my stars and that speed breaker.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:48   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing that I have heavily relied upon is to keep the maps/navigation running. I have an experience of driving on roads full of fog on NH17 (Bombay - Goa) and navigation screen aided immensely to know what kind of curve it was (Hairpin/Sharp curve etc).
During highway drives even on regular routes, I start the navigation and keep the screen off. Just turn the screen on whenever navigation is needed, and it resumes from the location at that point in time.

It has helped me too to handle similar foggy conditions.

In addition, there have been occasions where there is an unexpected diversion in the regular route. Since navigation is already running, it will reroute to the destination based on the diversion taken. No need to pull over and start navigation afresh.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks