Team-BHP > Road Safety

View Poll Results: Do you use a baby / car seat (if there is an infant in the car)?
Yes 33 62.26%
No 20 37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2008, 10:28   #31
BHPian

Looks like someone is going to make money by manufacturing and selling the seats.
Old 6th November 2008, 10:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to GM sales many times after placing the order for the Child seats which they mentioned in their accessories catalog. Local sales guys were dragging two months, and finally said there is no such product from GM. It was a disappointment and I was forced to buy an after market one.
Its a shame that they mentioned in their print catelog, but never manufacturered or willing to sell.
Old 6th November 2008, 12:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post

......now i know babies are more important than the passengers inside a car.

Bosch should make baby seats instead of ABS units!!

i have no issues with what you guys blabber about my claims or whatever.

i dont give a damn about baby seats!

...........and please show me a car in india where one can simply turn off the Air babgs when a baby seat is kept in front. haha.

...........and yes people never follow the instructions given for baby seat!!

...........and you expect of all us indians to follow the instructions!! hahaha
Just one one question. Two actually. Do you feel pride in saying Indians are like that? Why?

As I said before, all safety realted measures are "intended" to save lives. How one thinks about it's importance in life is a matter of personal choice.
I feel these comments are unwarrented.
Old 6th November 2008, 12:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami
This will just give rise to more corruption. People wont use the child safety seats and then the usual routine of Rs. 50 as fine without receipt stuff would begin.
People always have a choice. These seats, becoming OEM soon will give them one more choice. It's your responsibility to follow it or not. Why blame cops for it?

Between having the kid in your lap in the front seat in a car with front airbags or having him/her in the rear seat buckled up properly, you decide which one's safer, even relatively.
Old 6th November 2008, 13:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
now i know babies are more important than the passengers inside a car.

Bosch should make baby seats instead of ABS units!!
babies require more care becasue they are more vulnarable. As simple as that.
Tyres are also important that doesnt mean Bosch should make tyres instead of ABS
Old 6th November 2008, 13:11   #36
BHPian

yes i am proud to be an indian! and yes including me. most of us dont follow the rules.
rules are meant to be bent. when moment calls for it I Do Break It .

i have a verna. the speed limit even in an express highway is 100kmph! i do a insane 200+ Kmph whenever i have the chance i am clearly breaking the law here!! as if someone cares in this country!

and yes i am proud to be a speed junkie!

and yes i believe in the traditional methods!! like wearing your seatbelts( even an airbag is an SRS it just aids the seatbelts in being more effective! )

the comments that i make are only mine

coming back to this issue. lets have a poll? atleast we guys can get a proper idea of how much members in Team-Bhp agrees..
Old 6th November 2008, 14:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:

....rules are meant to be bent. when moment calls for it I Do Break It .

.... i am clearly breaking the law here!! as if someone cares in this country!
Dear sameel, how this makes you a proud Indian? what can I say about such a mentality. No point talking further on his.

---------------------------------------------------

Ok, so it seems from the discussion till now that the ideal and intended place for a babyseat is center of the rear seat, and baby means child less than 2 years of age.

If one uses it like that (center of rear seat) with all the neccessary belts and buttons used of course, to secure the babyseat to rear seat and baby to the babyseat. Will it be safer than baby sitting at any of the passenger seat without a babyseat, in an event of collision/crash?
Old 6th November 2008, 14:27   #38
BHPian

thanks a lot you got me well. no point in discussing it further i am like this and i am damn succesfull in life for this! ( live life by your own terms dont hurt others that's all..)

yes you are right if done properly its very very safe but the problem here is who all among us will do it?? and who all is properly educated about this?? and yes what about the cops. their attitude also is a cause of concern here??

Last edited by aah78 : 6th November 2008 at 21:11. Reason: Please no SMS. datz / that's
Old 6th November 2008, 14:56   #39
BHPian

Even I think that the government should take further steps along with making the baby car seats mandatory to enhance safety of the car occupants and the car. Though the recent advancement has come up with many innovative safety features but stricter rules should also be implemented to control violation of traffic regulations.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th November 2008 at 15:37. Reason: Color & font tags removed
Old 6th November 2008, 15:47   #40
BHPian

Quote:
thanks a lot you got me well. no point in discussing it further i am like this and i am damn succesfull in life for this! ( live life by your own terms dont hurt others datz all..)
Very interesting that you say "live life by your own terms but don't hurt others' well with this attitude you would be hurting the baby/infant/child and this is a complete contradiction to your idea of living life.

See I work in Safety business and see this sort of attitude all the time, people just don't see that it is not for the benefit of us, but for yourself, family and all those who you care about and innocent bystanders to the accident.

Sometimes recommendations in regards to safety don't get effective as they need to be and that's when they are made in to law. Now how that gets implemented or abused is a totally different thing.

Having a child in the front seat is never recommended or advised but some do argue about it saying that a child placed in the rear part of the vehicle might be in danger of choking with a toy or some dangerous situation. Look at the big picture, if such situation occurs you can always pull over or drive to the next hospital or get some sort of assistance and if theres a crash the probablity of child surviving an accident (even at low speeds of 30KMPH ,which is the general speed for crash tests) is very low.

Its up to you as an adult to take wise decisions and not to put others life at danger.
Old 6th November 2008, 15:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

75% of accidents in India happen because of unsafe road design, poor roads, almost nil traffic signages on roads and inadequately lit roads at night time. Guess whose responsible for all of the above?
Old 6th November 2008, 16:04   #42
BHPian

I can not understand certain things. If you realise the need of it then why not make it happen today? why do you need to wait till 2010?
Old 6th November 2008, 16:14   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I skimmed the thread, due to hurry, so apologies if repeating, but here's my view...

--- there is absolutely no sensible argument whatsoever against the use of proper car seats/cradles for babies and children

Bang, crash... Oh dear, what is that bundle disappearing through the windscreen? Byebye Baby! What a nasty bloody mess on the road... I believe that every driving parent in India (and elsewhere) should visualise this scene before being allowed to take their child in a car.

--- It is not going to be any use if it is not properly fixed and used

And already I can imagine children sitting unbelted in fixed car seats, children belted into car seats just placed on the seat. Prize for the first sighting of a car seat perched on a passenger's lap?

I spent about an hour trying to convince my London-resident Chennai friend that his so-precious new baby had to be belted snuggly into his so-expensive new car seat. He could not grasp that the inch or two the child would travel before hitting the belt would be quite enough to break things. Well, never mind now, the child has lived to outgrow such things, but if that accident had happened... and my friend treats London roads like Chennai...

--- If people can't wear seatbelts, properly fixed helmets, etc, what hope for car seats?

Especially as a proper car seat is an expensive thing.

It is a good idea, a good law, I applaud it, but I don't think the drivers of Chennai will, which is sad.
Old 6th November 2008, 21:45   #44
BHPian

Sameel, to say that I am shocked at your reply would be an understatement. I don't mean to be rude, but these two posts of yours are entirely unfit for a community as mature as Team-BHP.

Quote:
i dont give a damn about baby seats!
Let me upfront in telling you that I feel bad for the tots in your family. Baby seats offer HUGE safety benefits to toddlers; And don’t make my word for it : Just look up PROVEN RESEARCH. Baby seats play a substantial role in reducing infant deaths. I am extremely surprised that you, as an engineer, fail to understand the benefits of something as crucial as a baby seat.

Quote:
and please show me a car in india where one can simply turn off the Air babgs when a baby seat is kept in front. haha.
I can't speak for the others, but the only car of mine equipped with airbags (C220) switches off the front airbag whenever a child is sitting on it. Butttttttttttttttttttt I always make children sit on the rear seat rather than the front. If they are very young, my friends are sensible enough to bring along their baby seats.

Quote:
and yes people never follow the instructions given for baby seat!!
That assumption would start & stop with people of your personality. I would strictly follow the instructions for a device that could be a life-saver for someone as important as my child. I guess it is all about your level of awareness and / or education. Each person in my friends circle is incredibly responsible. Responsible enough to use the baby seat the way that it is meant to be used. One of my ignorant bhabhis had her daughter flung forward in a rear-ending accident. This in a safe car like the Innova, no less. The very next day, she bought a proper baby seat for her child too. I hope no one from your family has to learn this lesson the hard way.

However, I am not surprised that this statement is coming from someone who says:

Quote:
most of us dont follow the rules. rules are meant to be bent. when moment calls for it I Do Break It .
Correction : I believe you WILL follow rules when the enforcement is strict enough. An example : 130 posts up on Team-BHP. How many forum rules have you broken? With that attitude, you would have ended up with a banned account long before November 2008.

And a driving example : Come to Mumbai and show me if you have the guts to drive drunk on our roads. If you are foolish enough to break the rules, you will end up in Jail for a night. With your attitude to break rules again, you will probably have a suspended driving licence the next time. And if you are insistent enough to do it again, be prepared for 6 months behind bars. Believe me, you WILL follow rules when they are strictly enforced.

Quote:
and you expect of all us indians to follow the instructions!! hahaha
Do me a favour and don't include the rest of us in this silly categorisation. Yes, there are more than a handful of us "Indians" who are mature enough to follow instructions.

Quote:
i have a verna. the speed limit even in an express highway is 100kmph! i do a insane 200+ Kmph whenever i have the chance
Good luck to you & the baby who is sitting on the front passenger seat if, God forbid, you should crash at even 75% of that speed.

Your argument is amongst the most absurd I have seen to date. One can expect you to reply in the same tone to the rules of wearing seltbelts while driving, using helmets while riding and so on.

For your sake, I hope you or those travelling with you don’t learn a lesson the hard way.
Old 6th November 2008, 22:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
thanks a lot you got me well. no point in discussing it further i am like this and i am damn succesfull in life for this! ( live life by your own terms dont hurt others that's all..)
If you live your life like that, in all eventuality you WILL end up hurting someone, or worse. You may not care much, but a lot of us here do. It's this sort of mentality that prevents our country from moving forward.

I'm a patriot, and this ridiculous stance of yours angers me deeply.

Do you honestly believe that the entire country is full of law breakers? I believe that people who break the law must be SEVERELY punished, for it puts EVERYONE on the road at risk. Police around the country are toughening their traffic enforcement. Let's see you do something stupid then!

I'm very sure you'll come out with an 'I don't care' or 'whatever' reply. That is your defence. But the next time i'm in Kochi, and i see a red Verna, i'll take a few steps back from the road.

I think everyone else on this forum is going to have quite a bit to say about your irresponsibilty.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed