Team-BHP > Road Safety

View Poll Results: Do you use a baby / car seat (if there is an infant in the car)?
Yes 33 62.26%
No 20 37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:26   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
...That said, I fail to see why the baby seat should be compulsory on all cars. AFAIK, it is compulsory only when babies are carried. For example, why should somebody above 60 years be compelled to buy a baby seat? Why should a bachelor have a baby seat in the car? That would be sheer waste....
Please see this post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
....I think you (as well as a lot of others here) have misinterpreted the article. [either that, or i have ]

What the article really says (from my understanding atleast) is :
Car manufactures will now have to provide a system of buckles, belts and solid anchorage points to enable the future use of a child-seat, if required. A "childseat" will NOT be included - it is supplementary to the system.

Heres what the "CRS" will be :

cya
R
Old 9th July 2009, 23:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

im a BIG fan of chinese proverb.."a picture is worth more than thousand words"!

here is the finest example of Indian family using a infant car seat.

an infant car seat has to be a rear facing for a child upto 1year of age! because in case of sudden breaking or collision, the rear facing child seat will support the weak spine of the child, where as the photo shows no correct knowledge about the usage of the infant car seat!

Absolutely no awareness for the child safety in a vehicle and about the infant car seat.

Any comments on the usage of the infant seat in this photo?
Attached Thumbnails
From 2010, systems to enable 'baby seats' will be compulsory in cars-child-seat1.jpg  

Old 10th July 2009, 00:52   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

The child will either slide under, or over, that belt. a snugly fitting three-point belt is the way to secure a baby in a baby seat.

In fact, is it a proper belt at all?

but, hey! at least that cover will keep the dust off the poor dear.
Old 10th July 2009, 10:23   #64
Team-BHP Support

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
im a BIG fan of chinese proverb.."a picture is worth more than thousand words"! Any comments on the usage of the infant seat in this photo?
under hard braking (leave alone impact) the infant will be on the floor between the passenger seat and rear seat and the child seat (if you can call it that) will be empty but will not move.

the bad news: the infant can get hurt by falling to the floor
the good news: since the infant is not restrained under hard braking the infant will not suffer spinal or neck injuries from whiplash. Injuries from the fall to the floor however might be just as severe.

the least the pseron should have done is have the infant facing the rear.
Old 10th July 2009, 12:05   #65
BHPian

Here is my recent post on a baby seat that I have got-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1364833-post.html

Quote:
......Absolutely no awareness for the child safety in a vehicle and about the infant car seat.

Any comments on the usage of the infant seat in this photo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
......the least the pseron should have done is have the infant facing the rear.
I hope the pic of the sticker explains the way to mount the baby seat and creates some awareness as how to use it.
Old 10th July 2009, 12:17   #66
Senior - BHPian

Weren't we dumped , sometimes 7 to 8 crammed in the rear of a rickety old Ambassador with no a/c and fru-fru and driven recklessly through worse roads than present now and still live to talk about it?. The sad part of all this is to see young men debating about baby seats in a forum for car enthusiasts. Alas!.

Last edited by nickatnite : 10th July 2009 at 12:20.
Old 10th July 2009, 13:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

here is my little one ready for her first ride!

she is all strapped up in a rear facing infant seat fixed on the rear seat of my car.
Attached Thumbnails
From 2010, systems to enable 'baby seats' will be compulsory in cars-dsc08831a.jpg  

From 2010, systems to enable 'baby seats' will be compulsory in cars-27062009302.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 10th July 2009 at 13:35.
Old 10th July 2009, 13:41   #68
srh
BHPian

Quote:

she is all strapped up in a rear facing infant seat fixed on the rear seat of my car.
My little one will drive the world crazy if I put those belts around her and try to restrain her free movement around the car!! Any suggestions?
Old 10th July 2009, 13:41   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Weren't we dumped , sometimes 7 to 8 crammed in the rear of a rickety old Ambassador with no a/c and fru-fru and driven recklessly through worse roads than present now and still live to talk about it?. The sad part of all this is to see young men debating about baby seats in a forum for car enthusiasts. Alas!.
The sad part of your comment is to show how least you are bothered about the safety of a young child in a vehicle/car!

if this is a forum for car enthusiasts then how come a child/baby seat doesnt form a part of the car? if a sony music system or a 3M polish can form a part of this forum, im sure child/baby seat comes first to be discussed if you are concerned about the safety of a child!

i remember how many people never used the seat belts provided in the cars, let alone the rear seat belts!

nowadays people want cars with "baloons" (air bags) on the steering wheel and as well as for the front passenger!

your comment shows your ignrance and that too comes from living in america, where the hospitals insist upon child car seat for a new born to go home!

Last edited by Parm : 10th July 2009 at 13:42.
Old 10th July 2009, 14:35   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
[

under hard braking (leave alone impact) the infant will be on the floor between the passenger seat and rear seat and the child seat (if you can call it that) will be empty but will not move.

the bad news: the infant can get hurt by falling to the floor
the good news: since the infant is not restrained under hard braking the infant will not suffer spinal or neck injuries from whiplash. Injuries from the fall to the floor however might be just as severe.

the least the pseron should have done is have the infant facing the rear.
Absolutely wrong!

The child will not fall anywhere. It will be thrown, at the impact speed of the collision.

I used to be under the impression that the back of a car seat would be quite a soft thing to be thrown against --- I was disillusioned by an ex-policeman who told me I was utterly wrong; he told me that they have to pick bits of people out of the seat structure after some accidents.

Another possibility: the child, not being secured, may simply fly through the windscreen. Wave to baby! Pick up bits from road! Oh well, that'll save the schooling money, I suppose.

Yet another possibility. Fatal blow to the back of the front-seat occupant's head. One reason for back-seat belts is to protect the front seat passengers.

Here's a lesson in practical dynamics that I think would benefit many people. It requires one room door and your fingers...

1. open door two or three inches. Place fingers on door frame and flick door closed. Say ouch.

2. Open door a couple of feet. Place fingers on door frame, and flick door closed. Let us know when you stop screaming.
A properly-designed, rear-facing seat will absorb the impact, spread over the child's body.

Really a lot of work has been put into this basic car safety for both adults and babies in other countries. Mostly, it seems, India chooses to ignore or to disregard it. If one can learn a lesson at someone else's expense, then that is the cheapest way to learn it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm

Good for you! As long as that seat is properly fixed in the car, your child should be safe. Start saving for her education
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh
My little one will drive the world crazy if I put those belts around her and try to restrain her free movement around the car!! Any suggestions?
Earplugs. Your baby's life is your responsibility; as with many aspects of life with a youngster, her reaction is something you just have to live with, and train her out of. The younger a child is introduced to the proper seat, the easier they will accept it.

As I think I have said before, I feel so strongly about this issue that I do not have very much patience with it. If my dynamics lesson was understood, we would see an overnight change in vehicle usage in India. How can anyone expect to hold a child that is being pulled out of their arms at even 10kmph, let alone 40, 50 ...or 100+?

It doesn't even require much education. Physics was one of my worst subjects at school. Just a little bit of imagination is all that is necessary. A hole in the windscreen. A bloody mess on the road. No more crying.
Old 10th July 2009, 14:49   #71
BHPian

My two devils get firmly belted down when we get onto a highway. you just make them understand that you belt, you get to go out, else np
Old 10th July 2009, 14:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Thrice I order and followed up several times with Local GM dealer - They just didn't bothered about it.
Finally they said that the Baby seats are not under production against what their accessory catalog said.

I believe dealers should be ready to provide Child seats on display, it will should help buyers to think about it and decide.

I also feel many buyers almost do not care or do not know about the safely requirements.

Last edited by agbenny : 10th July 2009 at 14:57.
Old 10th July 2009, 14:56   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My two devils get firmly belted down when we get onto a highway
Not in the city? Good, but not good enough. Try walking into a wall. That's impact at maybe 3-5kmph. It hurts!
Quote:
you just make them understand that you belt, you get to go out, else np
Absolutely, and if either parent is inclined to be soft on this ...they can stay at home too!!!
Quote:
Thrice I order and followed up several times with Local GM dealer - They just didn't bothered about it.
Finally they said that the Baby seats are not under production against what their accessory catalog said.
Wouldn't it help if companies took safety seriously? But I think you have to go to independent supplier. I'm afraid it won't be cheap, but the alternative, which I have tried to be somewhat graphic about in the previous post, is just unthinkable.

On this one, if I was buying, I would look for adherence to European standards, and that would probably mean a European make (and price).

Worst thing, for me... I have failed to persuade my own [wife's] family on this issue, even having being prepared to buy them the car seat. The situation has not arisen, as yet, and may never do, but I will never take that baby in my own car without a proper seat.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th July 2009 at 15:03.
Old 10th July 2009, 15:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Absolutely wrong!

The child will not fall anywhere. It will be thrown, at the impact speed of the collision.

I used to be under the impression that the back of a car seat would be quite a soft thing to be thrown against --- I was disillusioned by an ex-policeman who told me I was utterly wrong; he told me that they have to pick bits of people out of the seat structure after some accidents.

Another possibility: the child, not being secured, may simply fly through the windscreen. Wave to baby! Pick up bits from road! Oh well, that'll save the schooling money, I suppose.

Yet another possibility. Fatal blow to the back of the front-seat occupant's head. One reason for back-seat belts is to protect the front seat passengers.

Here's a lesson in practical dynamics that I think would benefit many people. It requires one room door and your fingers...
1. open door two or three inches. Place fingers on door frame and flick door closed. Say ouch.
2. Open door a couple of feet. Place fingers on door frame, and flick door closed. Let us know when you stop screaming.
A properly-designed, rear-facing seat will absorb the impact, spread over the child's body.

Really a lot of work has been put into this basic car safety for both adults and babies in other countries. Mostly, it seems, India chooses to ignore or to disregard it. If one can learn a lesson at someone else's expense, then that is the cheapest way to learn it.
Good for you! As long as that seat is properly fixed in the car, your child should be safe. Start saving for her education
Earplugs. Your baby's life is your responsibility; as with many aspects of life with a youngster, her reaction is something you just have to live with, and train her out of. The younger a child is introduced to the proper seat, the easier they will accept it.

As I think I have said before, I feel so strongly about this issue that I do not have very much patience with it. If my dynamics lesson was understood, we would see an overnight change in vehicle usage in India. How can anyone expect to hold a child that is being pulled out of their arms at even 10kmph, let alone 40, 50 ...or 100+?

It doesn't even require much education. Physics was one of my worst subjects at school. Just a little bit of imagination is all that is necessary. A hole in the windscreen. A bloody mess on the road. No more crying.
Very well said Thad, i really appriciate your efforts to make people understand the safety of their kids when travelling in the car!
Old 10th July 2009, 16:36   #75
Senior - BHPian

Actually, whether that baby falls or gets thrown depends on the speed and type of impact/braking, but either way its a bad idea. I think that keeping the baby on one's lap is better (though still not good enough) than that 'seat' as someone will at least hold on to the baby under braking.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed