Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you use a baby / car seat (if there is an infant in the car)?
Yes 33 62.26%
No 20 37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 16:37   #76
BHPian

@Thad: +1 to all you said here. Hope we Indians see the point and keep our children safe.

@Parm: Get those tiny bits removed from the seat. I know they are soft toys but imagine these bits hitting the baby in the face in case of sudden braking at high speed. It is dangerous for her.

Well my little one had a car seat ready for him even before he arrived in this world. I am very particular about not letting him travel without a car seat. No compromises, whether it is city, highway or even the nearby market. Now he is almost seven months old, and he is used to it. In fact, he quite enjoys the drive. Even the radio cabs I order are specifically instructed to be equipped with a functional rear seat belt to affix his car seat.

@agbenny: You can get infant car seats (or car seats for older kids) at most Shoppers Stop or Mothercare outlets. Also, Mahindra has recently got Evenflo to India and they have some of the best car seats in the world. The prices range between Rs. 3,500 to Rs. 10,000 depending on your choice. There are some cheap Chinese imitations available as well from Rs. 1,500 onwards. Look around and you will find one to match your needs.

NK.

Last edited by nkapoor777 : 10th July 2009 at 16:39.
Old 10th July 2009, 17:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Actually, whether that baby falls or gets thrown depends on the speed and type of impact/braking, but either way its a bad idea. I think that keeping the baby on one's lap is better (though still not good enough) than that 'seat' as someone will at least hold on to the baby under braking.
what you said is a very incorrect statement my friend, you should watch some crash tests in youtube before making a comment like that!

there is a strong resistance to keeping a baby on one's lap at rear or front seats!

here are few examples. you can watch plenty of those in YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 10th July 2009, 17:33   #78
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this thread. Iam going to get one for my baby today! Infact getting seat belts done for my jeep even though rules do not make it compulsory for vehicles before 94 model. In chennai even cops dont bother...but at the end its your life!!

Seat belts are very important and wearing it is so cool!!
Old 10th July 2009, 18:13   #79
BHPian

What if you neither have kids nor plan to have any?
Old 10th July 2009, 18:35   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
What if you neither have kids nor plan to have any?
why waste money on car, buy a bike! if you neither have kids nor plan to have any!
Old 10th July 2009, 18:35   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
im a BIG fan of chinese proverb.."a picture is worth more than thousand words"!

here is the finest example of Indian family using a infant car seat.

an infant car seat has to be a rear facing for a child upto 1year of age! because in case of sudden breaking or collision, the rear facing child seat will support the weak spine of the child, where as the photo shows no correct knowledge about the usage of the infant car seat!

Absolutely no awareness for the child safety in a vehicle and about the infant car seat.

Any comments on the usage of the infant seat in this photo?
Parm,
The Vehicle's seat belt should go with provisions in the baby seat belt. The baby seat must have atleast 3 point harness, that it keeps the baby safe. Please check few sites on how to use the baby seat.

AAP - Car Safety Seats: A Guide for Families - 2009
Old 10th July 2009, 18:44   #82
BHPian

a noble idea but its a joke trying to implement in india.

first of all let the corrupt cops/govt. regulatory bodies have the "balls" to fine the noisy and polluting autos and buses running in the streets of cities like bangalore. then they can think about child seats. what a joke!

if they care so much for children they have much more important issues to attend to first before coming to child seats. like the auto rickshaw exhaust pollution that is causing so much respiratory problems to children and the noise that is causing hearing problems at the moment. both these are poisoning our children daily and no one cares about that. no cop/rto officer dares stop an auto and check for pollution in bangalore today because they are hand in glove with the auto drivers. corrupt buggers.....

and here we are like europeans talking about child seats. spare me the hypocrisy please!!!

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th July 2009 at 18:57. Reason: Post edited. Please watch your language.
Old 10th July 2009, 18:56   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post

first of all let the corrupt cops/govt. regulatory bodies have the "balls" to fine the noisy and polluting autos and buses running in the streets of cities like bangalore. then they can think about child seats. what a joke!

if they care so much for children they have much more important issues to attend to first before coming to child seats. like the auto rickshaw exhaust pollution that is causing so much respiratory problems to children and the noise that is causing hearing problems at the moment. both these are poisoning our children daily and no one cares about that. no cop/rto officer dares stop an auto and check for pollution in bangalore today because they are hand in glove with the auto drivers. corrupt b$%&#@$*.....

and here we are like europeans talking about child seats. spare me the hypocrisy please!!!
nice thought!

i dont have to wait for any law or rule to be implemented, for the safety of me and my family!

law or no law, im in all for the safety of me and my family! its not hypocrisy!
Old 10th July 2009, 19:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
what you said is a very incorrect statement my friend, you should watch some crash tests in Youtube before making a comment like that!
No no, you didn't understand my post. I meant that even under braking (not crash but regular braking) that baby could fall. In a crash, its hard to determine which is worse but its obvious that both positions would be really unsafe. Rest asssured, I know travelling with a baby on one's lap is unsafe and certainly don't dispute that.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 10th July 2009 at 19:46.
Old 10th July 2009, 19:50   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No no, you didn't understand my post. I meant that even under braking (not crash but regular braking) that baby could fall. In a crash, its hard to determine which is worse but its obvious that both positions would be really unsafe. Rest asssured, I know travelling with a baby on one's lap is unsafe and certainly don't dispute that.
i apologise, i took your comment the other way around!
Old 10th July 2009, 19:57   #86
Senior - BHPian

Glad we cleared up. And those vids were quite a revelation. If anyone doubted how unsafe it is to travel with kids on your lap, that will certainly change their mind.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:06   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Phew, I'm glad you cleared that up! Your post came over all wrong to me too! I was just about to rant!

Parm, thanks for the videos; even more scary than my imagination.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:44   #88
Senior - BHPian

this video shows the importance of the rear facing child seat, please pass it to to people you know.

law or no law, speeds have increased in india and so do the impact of the accident!

safety comes always first.

Old 10th July 2009, 23:00   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

My goodness, that makes me want to travel facing backwards.

It also reminds me how dreadfully vulnerable we all are, at whatever age, and even with seat belts, in these motorised tin boxes of ours.

Wear your seatbelts! Use Proper Car seats for your children!
Old 11th July 2009, 00:06   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
My little one will drive the world crazy if I put those belts around her and try to restrain her free movement around the car!! Any suggestions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
My two devils get firmly belted down when we get onto a highway. you just make them understand that you belt, you get to go out, else np
Quote:
I think that keeping the baby on one's lap is better (though still not good enough) than that 'seat' as someone will at least hold on to the baby under braking.
try holding on to a baby under impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
do not implement it because it the law (it is not yet). Implement it becuase it will save your child's life.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks