Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you use a baby / car seat (if there is an infant in the car)?
Yes 33 62.26%
No 20 37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 18:52   #106
BHPian

Cruze already comes with anchorage system for the baby seat.
Old 14th December 2009, 19:18   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
Cruze already comes with anchorage system for the baby seat.
The ISOFIX, isnt it? That's really good to have, good move by Chevy - Not sure who else is giving that option in India, Volvo possibly?
Old 15th December 2009, 09:15   #108
Senior - BHPian

Hey guy's but this will be done state wise or this rule will be for entire India together? As I have not seen anything like this in Mumbai's news paper's anytime till now.

Last edited by rjvora_2000 : 15th December 2009 at 09:17.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:47   #109
BHPian

Late but a good Move by the GOI, I hope they make it mandatory across India along with making the Airbags mandatory also.
Old 15th December 2009, 13:43   #110
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The ISOFIX system is expensive for example the Laura ISOFIX system costs Rs. 30k plus so what do I do use the normal system.

ISOFIX system is deployed in the Laura and using it would be more convenient but not necessarily more safer.

So the rules just need to mandate that childern must be only placed in rear seat below the age of 12 and that car seats of relevent types are compulsary for children below say 8.
Attached Thumbnails
From 2010, systems to enable 'baby seats' will be compulsory in cars-p1050229.jpg  

From 2010, systems to enable 'baby seats' will be compulsory in cars-dsc00048.jpg  

From 2010, systems to enable 'baby seats' will be compulsory in cars-dsc00047.jpg  

Old 15th December 2009, 14:45   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I currently use no babay seats, but plan to get one as soon as possible for my daughter.
My daughter is 9 months old and so far she was made to sit /lie on mother's lap on the back seat (I know its not safe compared to baby seats) while the mother is buckled up, and not in the middle position of the rear seat. Anyway, she traveled in a car very rarely till now.

I am buying the baby seat this month, the question is, will the baby get adjusted to it soon at this age? Anyone who has introduced their baby to a child seat at this age of about 8-9 months?
Old 15th December 2009, 15:24   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

It is just one of those things in life that a baby has to accept, and if some crying happens along the way, then the parents must live with it.

Although I'm not a parent, I'd say that the younger one starts the better, so that the child grows up associating cars with strapped in. Even as an adult, maybe they'll find it natural to wear a belt if trained early!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
So the rules just need to mandate that childern must be only placed in rear seat below the age of 12 and that car seats of relevent types are compulsary for children below say 8.
That, essentially, is like saying that the driver of a bike should wear a helmet, but passengers need not.

Everyone in a car should be properly strapped in. If not, they are at risk of dreadful injury or death, and front seat passengers are at risk of being killed by those behind them.
Old 15th December 2009, 15:31   #113
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

As mentioned by Thad E G some crying happens, can't be helped.

Playing melodous music kind of loudly puts most childern to sleep in 5 mins or so, while tied to the car seat.
Old 15th December 2009, 16:15   #114
Senior - BHPian

Today I had been to a Life Style shop in Mumbai these seats were costing from Rs. 14,000/- to Rs. 65,000/-.

But poor thing was the sells person was not having any knowledge on this product.

I am really sad to know this that they had only 6 options to show and 0% knowledge on this important thing.
Old 15th December 2009, 18:45   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am buying the baby seat this month, the question is, will the baby get adjusted to it soon at this age? Anyone who has introduced their baby to a child seat at this age of about 8-9 months?
Clevermax, the earlier you introduce the baby seats, the better. The initial days would be really hard, lots of crying. But, eventually she will get used to it. We had a tough time when we moved to Germany with our 2 year old son. He refused to sit in his seat, but eventually got used to it.

In Europe and the US, the new born baby is made to sit on the baby seat when leaving the hospital. If they can introduce the seat at that age (few days old), why not us. All the best.

You could try some of the lifestyle stores in Trivandrum for one. Even better would be to ask your colleagues whose kids have now outgrown the age for a baby seat. That way you dont end up spending a lot on the seat. I am sure there would be many parents in Technopark, who had the seats for their babys.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 15th December 2009 at 18:47.
Old 15th December 2009, 19:19   #116
BHPian

I just did a return trip from Gurgaon to Varanasi (total 1800 kms) by road and for 90% of the time, my 2.5 month old son was safely strapped in his seat.
I have been using it ever since he was about 1 week old. In fact, ever since 1 month of age, he has been riding in it almost on a daily basis (accompanying mommy to work on weekdays and then weekend outings with both parents). Yes, there are occasions when he does create a ruckus but those are rare moments and can be lived with.
Attached Thumbnails
From 2010, systems to enable 'baby seats' will be compulsory in cars-cimg0712a.jpg  

Last edited by AlokSriva : 15th December 2009 at 19:25.
Old 15th December 2009, 19:40   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Yes, there are occasions when he does create a ruckus but those are rare moments and can be lived with.
Thats one happy baby in the car seat.
Old 15th December 2009, 23:11   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Thats one happy baby in the car seat.
Thanks mate! Yeah, more often than not he goes off to sleep when placed in his seat and the car starts off.

Having a baby safely strapped in a car seat is a big relief to the driver. Baby in lap (specially on front passenger seat) in a moving car is a big cause of concern and should be avoided as far as posssible.

Don't know why we need legislations in order to adopt measures which are meant for our own safety?
Old 16th December 2009, 05:47   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Human nature. There was an outcry about compulsory seatbelts in my home country, and many people still object to wearing them as back-seat passengers.

Just... here... people seem to have some sort of allergy to any safety issue!

About baby seats... Another vital thing is that the child must be strapped in securely. It's all about kinetic energy, I think, but I was a physics failure --- anyway, even if the baby can only move forward an inch when the thump happens, they are going to get hurt against that strap. The point is that (just as our tensioned adult belts are supposed to) the strap stops the babe being thrown anywhere.
Old 16th December 2009, 07:24   #120
BHPian

Its really good to know that Baby Seats will be compulsory from 2010 whenever baby is on-board. But the only care that should taken by parents of the baby that they should securely strap their baby, otherwise due to the fluctuating amount of kinetic energy, it will hurt a baby physically.
But otherwise a good idea.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks