Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 16:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I can live with some of these issues, but safety at high speeds is very important for me. The question that I am trying to answer is whether it is worth paying double the price for a Fortuner, Endy or Pajero 2.8 or should I just compromise and keep the extra 10 lakhs in the bank..
Go for the VX 4x4 (ABS-EBD-Airbags), no braking issues faced in my two years of ownership, ABS has been a life-saver on at least a couple of occasions. I think you'll still have close to 10 lacs left over in the Bank compared to the others. Besides, the Fortuner is still not out of the bag.........
Old 11th December 2008, 18:27   #47
Team-BHP Support

Kindly stick to the topic - Admin Team
Old 11th December 2008, 18:31   #48
Team-BHP Support

Today I went to dynamic motors noida. They said its already 2:30, its better to come in morning. I guess my good luck. I decided to pay a visit to Ayush motors in sector 63.
And guess my luck. An engineer from Dana(The LSD makers) and another from TML were visiting because some guy was having issue with his LX(noise between 120-140kmph).
They acknowledged the problem and told the service advisor to get rear cylinders set. Apparently the balance was not proper. So under hard braking one wheel was locking up, while other was not.
They themselves then tested the vehicle at high speed locking up rear wheels, all 4 wheels etc., etc., and now its fine.

I also tested it multiple times, braking hard at different speeds.
Its fine for now, and the issue looks to be solved now.

It took the mechanics 30 minutes under the TML and Dana guys expertise to fix the issue. The service advisor has told me that any time they find a problem they cannot fix in service, they set up an appointment with the TML engineers who visit in such cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Go for the VX 4x4 (ABS-EBD-Airbags), no braking issues faced in my two years of ownership, ABS has been a life-saver on at least a couple of occasions. I think you'll still have close to 10 lacs left over in the Bank compared to the others. Besides, the Fortuner is still not out of the bag.........
Even a non ABS car should not start fishtailing under hard braking. This was apparently a very easy to fix issue, but I guess the Autolinks guys went on tangent(LSPV) rather than check whether equal brakeforce is going to both rear wheels

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th December 2008 at 18:38.
Old 11th December 2008, 18:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
EBD is the electronic version of LSPV
Old 11th December 2008, 18:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that your issue was resolved. Maybe you can now edit the thread title since its not a disaster by design

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This was apparently a very easy to fix issue, but I guess the Autolinks guys went on tangent(LSPV) rather than check whether equal brakeforce is going to both rear wheels
After reading about the number of people who had LSPV issues with their Safaris, I'm not sure if they had actually gone on a tangent. Perhaps a more vigorous Test Drive after the service & before delivery would have thrown up the fact that the issue was still unresolved & hence not entirely related to LSPV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
EBD is the electronic version of LSPV
Yes, but I guess, in conjunction with ABS, it works better than the manual LSPV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I've had similar issues in by E-Zen and my Jeeps and the Wheel cylinders were the issue in both the vehicles. Refer my earlier post confirming the same.

Cheers

Last edited by suman : 11th December 2008 at 18:50.
Old 11th December 2008, 18:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

it took them just 30 mins to solve the issue with all the proper testing and stuff... commendable. its time to declare ayush as your permanent T.A.S.S now.

EDIT: CORRECTED!!!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 11th December 2008 at 19:06.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:01   #52
BHPian

Good the issue got resolved tsk. Btw, where exactly is Ayush motors in sec 63 - any landmarks ?

The other thing is that good you did not get a chance to get it fixed at Dynamic motors - they are bunch of idiots who could not fix one of my fog lights and said that the bulb needs replacement although it was just a loose connection from the holder (which eventually I fixed it myself). Since then I never bother to go there for any technical work involved or otherwise.

Last edited by Dragonov : 11th December 2008 at 19:03.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:10   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
it took them just 30 mins to solve the issue with all the proper testing and stuff... commendable. its time to declare ayush as your permanent T.A.S.S now.

EDIT: CORRECTED!!!
Not sure. Autolinks still seems a better knowledgeable workshop, esp for 4x4. The problem was actually fixed by TML engineers who were there. The entire job was carried under the Dana and TML guys.
So I don't have the slightest idea about how it would have been if those guys weren't there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
Good the issue got resolved tsk. Btw, where exactly is Ayush motors in sec 63 - any landmarks ?

The other thing is that good you did not get a chance to get it fixed at Dynamic motors - they are bunch of idiots who could not fix one of my fog lights and said that the bulb needs replacement although it was just a loose connection from the holder (which eventually I fixed it myself). Since then I never bother to go there for any technical work involved or otherwise.
Its very near to NH24, at the end of sector 63(Near birlasoft)
Old 11th December 2008, 19:16   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Its very near to NH24, at the end of sector 63(Near birlasoft)
Thank you tsk, would try them out soon.
Old 13th December 2008, 05:27   #55
BHPian

Please do get your tyres checked for flat spots. With all the hard braking done to understand and resolve the issue, flat spots may've occured.
Old 13th December 2008, 13:56   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved. Makes me feel better about my impending purchase. I can deal with misaligned door knows and gaps between panels etc, etc. Braking is critical for safety.
Old 13th December 2008, 14:48   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
While we are at it, I remember, that when I had done my 15000kms service in Mandi, the technician there told me that there is some kind of dual circuit in the brakes, where if one circuit of the brakes fail, it does not lead to total brake failure. Can someone please shed some light on that?
Sorry but this is slightly OT.
It's not really a completely independent dual circuit. There is still only one cylinder - the tandem master cylinder with two pistons in tandem in a common bore. Each piston drives a separate circuit and this design ensures prevention of "sudden" total brake failure, if there is a leak in one of the circuits. Compare this with a single-line-single-piston system where a leak in the brake circuit would cause total failure of the brake system.

Not completely independent ? because, a leak in one of the circuits still drains the brake fluid in the master cylinder and if the leak goes undetected/unattended, it could still lead to failure of the brake system, even in a tandem setup. I have had the "opportunity" to experience this scenario in my Zen. In a very rare combination, my Zen had a leaking rear-right brake-cylinder-assembly along with a failed low-brake-fluid-indicator !!. The result was a gradual depletion of the brake fluid in the master cylinder without any apparent symptoms and then a total brake failure. Fortunately, this happened in the parking lot as I check the brakes every time before I start (after ignition). I am not sure whether I ignored the possible change in the play of brake pedal during leaking process.

If it were a single-line circuit, the brakes would have failed much earlier and quicker. So, a tandem brake circuit helps delay the damaging effects of a leak, but it can't prevent the depletion of the brake fluid in the master cylinder due to the leak. The resulting lower levels of brake fluid should anyway trigger the low-brake-fluid-indicator and give you sufficient time to get it fixed !.

cheers,
Old 14th December 2008, 19:36   #58
BHPian

Hi
This is continuation of my post #8 dated 8Dec on this Thread.
Just today I sensed that while negotiating a "serial speedbreaker' (as we call it) or driving above 70/80 on a rough road the safari fishtails onto the left, just as it does on hard braking.
an someone please suggest the likely problem. Have been closely following tsk's problem but this problem seems to be a bit different from his. Kindly advice.
Old 15th December 2008, 00:50   #59
Team-BHP Support

Came back from a long highway drive. There is no rear lockup, which means LSPV is okay, however under hard braking(not so hard as to lock up the wheels), there is a pull towards the right.
I have to hold the steering tight and keep pressure towards left otherwise she goes right.
Looks like whatever was wrong with brake balance has resurfaced..
Old 15th December 2008, 07:31   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
there is a pull towards the right.
I have to hold the steering tight and keep pressure towards left otherwise she goes right.
Looks like whatever was wrong with brake balance has resurfaced..
Pl ask them to change all wheel cylinders. Not hust the "o" rings. Your problem will be solved!

Most Viewed