Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 11:04   #211
BHPian

Re: Concentration lapse while driving - Share yours

My "really embarassing" incident :

This happened about 3 years back, was driving my parents from Nasik to Mumbai Airport (early morning drive). Once inside Andheri, I missed a turn somewhere and had to take a U. Saw a good gap in the divider and decided to take the U turn there itself. Started taking the turn slowly, and suddenly I have my Dad screaming into my ear "STOP ! What are you doing ?", while pushing me at my shoulder. Irritated, I slam the brakes right then and there and turn to look at him. It was then that I realized, that I was inches from driving straight into a streetlight pole ! I was fully awake and to this day have no freaking idea how I missed a large object like a street pole right in front of me. Gives me the shivers and to this day I keep reminding myself about this to keep myself hyper alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I turn up the volume on ICE,and play trance.
and if its early morning i lower the windows.
Seconded. I too do this, a good track of Armin / Tiesto / Above and Beyond somehow helps me keep my concentration really high. I always try to play trance on a highway run (much to my co-passenger's irritation)

Normally I have a strong cup of coffee before my early morning drives on highways (I prefer driving before sunrise). Recently tried Red Bull before starting off, its quite good too ! Felt really fresh throughout ! The only drawback is you feel like a zombie the rest of the day after you reach your destination.

Last edited by PuntoMania : 12th July 2011 at 11:06.
Old 12th July 2011, 14:42   #212
Senior - BHPian

Rolling down windows at dawn always makes me more sleepier. I always find that i have to stop, wash face, stretch a bit to get going again. Tea/coffee would be even better.
Old 18th July 2011, 00:44   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
My "really embarassing" incident :

Seconded. I too do this, a good track of Armin / Tiesto / Above and Beyond somehow helps me keep my concentration really high. I always try to play trance on a highway run (much to my co-passenger's irritation)
I had no idea about trance music until I wiki-ed it. This is what I found

Trance is a genre of electronic dance music that developed in the 1990s; generally characterized by a tempo of between 125 and 150 bpm, repeating melodic synthesizer phrases, and a musical form that builds up and breaks down throughout a track. It is a combination of many forms of music such as techno, house, industrial, new age, pop, chill-out, ambient, electronic art music, classical music, and film music.

Since I listen to classical and film music I guess I should like it. I have downloading Armin van Buuren - A State of Trance Episode and Tiesto - Club Life.

Will have a listen and let you chaps know if it keeps me awake!

EDITING after listening to Trance
Very sorry but I found nothing exceptional in it. All sound pretty much the same, racy music, fast beats, meant for the younger generation I am sorry.

Last edited by noidea : 18th July 2011 at 01:03.
Old 18th July 2011, 09:38   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
I had no idea about trance music until I wiki-ed it. This is what I found

Trance is a genre of electronic dance music that developed in the 1990s; generally characterized by a tempo of between 125 and 150 bpm, repeating melodic synthesizer phrases, and a musical form that builds up and breaks down throughout a track. It is a combination of many forms of music such as techno, house, industrial, new age, pop, chill-out, ambient, electronic art music, classical music, and film music.

Since I listen to classical and film music I guess I should like it. I have downloading Armin van Buuren - A State of Trance Episode and Tiesto - Club Life.

Will have a listen and let you chaps know if it keeps me awake!

EDITING after listening to Trance
Very sorry but I found nothing exceptional in it. All sound pretty much the same, racy music, fast beats, meant for the younger generation I am sorry.
Well music is a matter of personal preference isnt it ?
Anyways I too did not like Trance the first time I heard it, it takes a bit of time to develop a taste for trance music, although I dont think everyone will love it either.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:52   #215
Senior - BHPian

Red bull to the rescue.

Though i park it on the side roads if available and take a good 15 minute nap to just freshen up.
Old 20th July 2011, 14:50   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntoMania View Post
Well music is a matter of personal preference isnt it ?
Anyways I too did not like Trance the first time I heard it, it takes a bit of time to develop a taste for trance music, although I dont think everyone will love it either.
Glad to hear you did not like it the first time too. I will surely listen to it few more times and then decide.
But one thing for sure, one cannot go to sleep if trance music is playing loudly.
Thanks for broadening my musical horizon.
Cheers.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:08   #217
Senior - BHPian

Driving to Mahableshwar one early morning - somewhere after Khambhakti ghat.

Flashback - a minor argument with wifey before leaving

Cut to drive - deathly silence in the car and I doze off , thankfully the roads are empty and I woke up before the car scraped the divider.

I could be flamed for this but I drive with more calmness and concentration when I talk to anyone on my bluetooth headset !
Old 20th July 2011, 15:34   #218
Senior - BHPian

For me personally, music at high volumes make no difference if sleepy. I have gone to sleep in a club (No, not after being intoxicated!). The only way to overcome sleep while driving, is, pull over to the side and doze off for a good 15-20 mins (leaving the hazards on).

Concentration lapse happens when some objects (god made), that are strikingly beautiful and worth a dekko, appear out of nowhere .
Old 20th July 2011, 21:36   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Concentration lapse happens when some objects (god made), that are strikingly beautiful and worth a dekko, appear out of nowhere .
Something like this ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...road-rage.html

ps - I am not saying that girls are objects - people might add 2 and 2 to make 22 ! :P

Last edited by normally_crazy : 20th July 2011 at 21:37.
normally_crazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 11:00   #220
Senior - BHPian

^^Lol NC that was howlarious! Yeah something on those lines. Leaving the entire 'hero in a zen' part though!
Old 21st July 2011, 11:36   #221
BHPian

Back in the days when I just learnt driving, I used to drive a M800. This car had a cassette stereo installed and we all know how cumbersome changing tracks on cassettes are. One morning I was driving to college and was in a pretty good speed. Wanted to change the album and while doing that, one of the cassettes fell on the floor. I looked down, bent and picked it up. (The whole process would have taken around a second or 2). By the time I looked at the road, I was heading directly towards a huge lorry with just a couple of feet to dodge and avert a head on collision. I somehow managed to escape, stopped and thanked my lucky stars for saving me that day.

Since this incident, I am very careful while driving. I never take off my eyes off the road and try to avoid any distractions.
Old 18th August 2011, 12:47   #222
BHPian

Concentration Lapse.Well I have had a few of them:-

1. I was out of office and just on a whim, i decided to call up someone in my office to check regarding progress of some job I had given. As luck would have it, as i was pulling out my cellphone and it dfell off my pocket. I bent down to pick it while driving. Time taken - 2 seconds. When i got up again, i had banged into a stationary truck which had stopped due to traffic signal. It was not a major impact. So much so that the trucker didnt even realise it. But the car had really taken a beating The bonnet bent out of shape, the passenger door displaced from position- it couldnt be opened etc etc Cost me abt 10 k to get the thing replaced. Still rue the decision of having made the call.

2. I was driving through a village in Goa. Based on some gyan regarding better fuel efficiency, i decided that i will drive in such a way that would require minimal/ zero braking. Unfortunately, for this, i even removed my right foot from the pedal. Suddenly, a car braked in front of me. And I, attempting to avoid the car got my feet back on the pedal and braked hard. Unfortunately the pedal happened to be the acclerator pedal. Next thing i knew, i had rammed HARD into the car in front. Needless to say, i paid for the repair of car in front as well my own.

Note: except this year, i have hardly managed to get No Claim Bonus from my insurance company. This year- am likely to be out of India for the whole year and hence not likely to drive my car
Old 21st August 2011, 16:20   #223
BHPian

A couple of howlers from my side:

1. I once pressed on the accelerator pedal instead of brake when faced with a mini bus (those who have been to Calcutta would know these beasts) coming on the wrong side. This was when I had a learner's; and dad was sitting with me.

Managed to avoid a front on collision though. Still don't know how. A combination of dad's wail and 18 year old reflexes I guess.

2. Unmindful at a signal, my car hit the car which was cutting in from the right lane. I did not even notice until the car refused to budge on accelerating. Was thinking of some analysis to be done.
Old 21st August 2011, 17:35   #224
AKB
BHPian

During the last year I had many late nights ( and early mornings at Office). So I would, atleast 2-3 times in a month, return home at 3-4am. I work in Gurgaon and stay in Faridabad and it is a 42 km drive ( Yes, 42 km one way :( ) if I take the route through Delhi,else it is 37km.

Till 3-4 am I am fine driving with Chewing Gum, windows rolled down and an Audio Book playing on the player. Listening to a human voice and being engaged in the story line prevents me from sleeping. Loud music just doesn't work for me since I usually listen to it quite loud.

But when the time is 5-6 am, I am afraid to drive back as not matter what I try, I would not even recognise that I had a mini nap till the time I wake up and discover I am still driving !!! It happened 2-3 times with me and luckily I was on a empty stretch on NH 2.

Now a days, I prefer a radio cab than driving back since I have realised that some times its better not to drive not matter how much I love driving.

So, driving when sleepy is like a drunkard saying that he is in full control. He thinks he is in control but sadly he is not and saddest part is that he doesn't know that he isn't .

~Amit
Old 21st August 2011, 18:27   #225
Senior - BHPian

Happened twice to me. In 2003 we were moving from Chennai to Bangalore and decided to drive the car to bangalore instead of shipping it (With a view of saving some money) turned out to be real pain. By the time packers and movers finished (at around 9 in the night) we were tired. Freshened up and started driving at 10 in the night. In 2003 the highway was not ready and was very sleepy, had a few near misses. Its then i decided to stop and wash my face and give the steering to my wife who had a few hours sleep. She drove for few hours as i slept and then took the steering again. Lesson learnt Wife who can drive safely and take me home is a very important asset, and Dont look at opportunities to save money everywhere.

The second time it happened was on Inner ring road opposite Dell office. I was closely following an Indica until it decided to break hard and i was slow in stopping in the process rear ended him. Needed headlight, bonnet, radiator work, and tought me a important lesson to maintain safe distance between the car in the front and myself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks