Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 19:00   #16
Team-BHP Support

Mostly I had found "stock" fog lamps mounted on bumper aimed low, and blind much less than normal headlights. I think OP is talking about aux lights.

anyways about fuel argument. An engine produces around 50KW(70BHP)
Thats 50,000W
A pair of fog lamps consumes 120W
so lets say due to wastage etc., its actually 200W extra load on engine which means 0.4%
So if your car gives 10kmpl now it will give 9.996 that means for every liter of fuel it will go 4 meters less.
However if extra lights prevent even one braking incident, it will mean atleast 20 meters more
Old 27th February 2009, 19:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Company fitted fog lamps or auxillary lights as some call are prefocussed to illuminate downwards. It is only when after market fitting is done, I've seen people asking for an upwards focus. Now these certainly would be blinding.

Most of the fog/auxillary lights are white in colour. it is only the after market ones that come in yellow colour.

Fog lamps without fog-bull.jpg
Old 27th February 2009, 19:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

i have fog lights in my accents bumper and they are connected to parking lamps,so i have them switched on most of the times,but they are proper fog lights in the bumper and are aimed directly towards the road and they just dont cause any glare.

@guruji what do you do with so many lights
Old 28th February 2009, 03:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

gd1418 Any chance you were in Chandigarh recently ? I think I have seen your car in Chandigarh just recently sometime back.
Old 28th February 2009, 08:46   #20
BHPian

Many folks think that driving with fog lamps on give their car more style. They don't know the main use of it. I have seen people drive with fog lamps & hi beam on well lit roads.
Old 28th February 2009, 09:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
anyways about fuel argument. An engine produces around 50KW(70BHP)
Thats 50,000W
A pair of fog lamps consumes 120W
so lets say due to wastage etc., its actually 200W extra load on engine which means 0.4%
So if your car gives 10kmpl now it will give 9.996 that means for every liter of fuel it will go 4 meters less.
However if extra lights prevent even one braking incident, it will mean atleast 20 meters more
This calculation is highly flawed in making the assumption that the engine is actually being run at FULL power ALL the time!
Typically in city it would average 20% or so and on moderate highway driving at constant speed it might be at about 40% of rated power.
The lights will consume the same 200 watts always.
All figures would need to be amended accordingly. The 0.4% could easily become 2% in a real life situation.
Still very low, LOL!
Old 28th February 2009, 09:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
i have fog lights in my accents bumper and they are connected to parking lamps,so i have them switched on most of the times,but they are proper fog lights in the bumper and are aimed directly towards the road and they just dont cause any glare.
Hi, the fog lamps in accent are NOT connected to the parking lamps, but come ON if you switch ON the parking lamps AND FOG lamps..

Quote:
Guruji lights up the world with his lights
Old 28th February 2009, 09:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Your answer lies here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...inders-10.html

Quote:
Your question is answered here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...h-gurgaon.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
gd1418 Any chance you were in Chandigarh recently ? I think I have seen your car in Chandigarh just recently sometime back.
Thanks headers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Guruji lights up the world with his lights
Old 28th February 2009, 09:47   #24
BHPian

I use fog-lights at night in the city, on the streets of bombay, headlights are not needed at all, unless there is a power outage or something, The only reason for using them is they light up potholes and road aberrations much much better than the regular headlamps, so even though with all my previous cars, I never used anything besides the regular parking lights, with the Fabia I use the fog lamps only for the poor roads, I don't really think they get into oncoming driver's eyes, because they are really low, and when they're on and you sit down in front of the car they are not irritating even then.

The worst thing is high-beam used even on properly lit roads, my solution, if that person doesn't switch to low beam when you blink, keep going on and off, that is far worse than keeping high-beam on continously, and you can target just one car for driving like that.
Old 28th February 2009, 09:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi, the fog lamps in accent are NOT connected to the parking lamps, but come ON if you switch ON the parking lamps AND FOG lamps..
I removed the switch after it was broken by a moron in front passenger seat
Old 28th February 2009, 11:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Class 6 physics - energy can not be created, it just changes form. So for every unit of fuel burnt there is a certain amount of energy produced as heat. This heat energy is used to push the piston and then the crank chaft and ultimately the wheel. There is a lot of energy loss that happens in the process. All the sound generated is a loss, all the heat that escapes is a loss. The heat energy which has been converted to kinetic energy is used to run an alternator or dynamo to generate current for running the electricals on the car. The more electricals you run, wipers, lights, more lights, ICE, etc. the more energy is consumed. Total energy produced per unit fuel is fixed. If you divert the energy to run systems other than wheels, your car will run for lesser kilometres. Meaning lesser fuel economy.
Dushmish I don't know on what logic you've based your conviction on regarding the fuel efficiency claim. I'm no scientist but I do know that an alternator does not power the electricals of the car,it merely produces electric current to charge the storage battery of the car. You can check this by switching on the lights of your car when it's stationary and no " The heat energy which has been converted to kinetic energy is used to run an alternator or dynamo to generate current for running the electricals on the car" is happening.

Coming to the thread topic itself, It may visually annoy you to see 4 headlamps switched on driving in your direction,but the fact is that all fog lamps ( the ones that are OE fitment and like some members have mention,auxillary lights) are 35W rated hence lesser light output and do not produce a focussed beam like the headlamps in a straight direction but are more dispersed towards the sides of the road on a lower angle.
Old 28th February 2009, 12:03   #27
BHPian

Fog lamp really help in driving High way @ dark night. You can focus you Head light to High Beam and switch on the Fog lamp. It will help us for clear visibilty at night and help us to find the pothole and sudden divider in the HW.
But at the same time we should always switch off the fog light at City. It really irritated oncoming vehicle. Now people have started putting HID on fog lamp too...
Old 28th February 2009, 13:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

I find that fog lamps illuminate the nearest part of the road better and I can see potholes and even the median/divider much better on darker roads inside the city.
I switch it on in darker roads when near visibility is an issue. I have company fitted fog lamps and find they dont really hurt the eyes (unless you're lying on the road directly in front of the car).
Fog lamps also help in very dusty roads or in dusty conditions inside the city.
I dont really like those extra lamps fitted all over the cars in the city - but these are quite useful in dark barren roads.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Dushmish I'm no scientist but I do know that an alternator does not power the electricals of the car,it merely produces electric current to charge the storage battery of the car.
WasavaTyres, surprise, surprise, you're quite wrong about this!
The alternator DOES power the electricals of the car!
When the engine is off, the battery powers them.

Please take a look at this detailed thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...connected.html
Old 28th February 2009, 13:46   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
It may visually annoy you to see 4 headlamps switched on driving in your direction,but the fact is that all fog lamps ( the ones that are OE fitment and like some members have mention,auxillary lights) are 35W rated hence lesser light output and do not produce a focussed beam like the headlamps in a straight direction but are more dispersed towards the sides of the road on a lower angle.
That is the whole point, WasavaTyres. The annoyance is what is best avoided on the road. OE fitment fog lamps as well as auxiliary driving lamps are a strict no-no, especially in city driving. Please don't visually annoy others, and don't get visually annoyed yourself.

Fog lamps are for driving in fog. Auxiliary driving lamps are for driving along unmarked, undivided twisting roads or for off-road use such as in rallies etc. Please switch them off otherwise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks