Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 14:50   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Xehaust - Are you talking about the 3 settings on the lights switch?
So 1 = Palking Lights
2 = Dipped Beam
And if you push or pull depending on your car = Main beam...

Are these the setting you are talking about?

If so, i was under the impression all cars had to have them too, but the bulb for the parking light could be anywhere. in some cars like Alfa Romeos when you put on the parking light the Aux lights come on and another small light not usally in the headlamp housing comes on too. But i am sure all cars had to have parking lights somewhere.
Exactly [Wasnt using the terms as some people get confused :P]
So, basically, i use parking lights along with fogs while driving.

On cars without fogs, there is no option but to drive on dipped beam, but when there is a car coming from the opposite direction, again, i switch to parking lights [have a good look at the road ahead before doing so] till it passes & then go back to dipped beam.
Old 4th March 2009, 16:52   #77
BHPian

My point from earlier is - If your Dipped Beams are adjusted properly then you wont have to keep going back to your Parking lights. Switch on your High Beam when its really dark and there's no oncoming traffic and then move back to your Dipped beam if there is oncoming traffic. The reason dipped beams hurt oncoming traffic is because they are not adjusted properly. Dipped beams are meant to illuminate the road right in front of you and high beams are meant to illuminate the road ahead.
Old 4th March 2009, 21:12   #78
Senior - BHPian

Ditto Samir. I still maintain that the fog lamps, that are positioned in the front bumper can no way be glaring unless they are somehow positioned as such.

I always drive in the city limits with the fogs on and till date no one coming from the front has dipped his beams or inidcated in such manner as that denotes that the fogs are hurting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
My point from earlier is - If your Dipped Beams are adjusted properly then you wont have to keep going back to your Parking lights. Switch on your High Beam when its really dark and there's no oncoming traffic and then move back to your Dipped beam if there is oncoming traffic. The reason dipped beams hurt oncoming traffic is because they are not adjusted properly. Dipped beams are meant to illuminate the road right in front of you and high beams are meant to illuminate the road ahead.
Old 5th March 2009, 10:36   #79
Team-BHP Support

Agree with GD.
Bumper fitted stock fog lamps are never blinding. Have observed this in many cars.
However in a few cars they are very blindling, because they are Xenons. Not as much as Xenons in the mail lights, but still enough to make you wince a little.
However badly aimed main headlights are the worst culprit when it comes to blinding others.
Therefore in my Safari, the right headlight is aimed lower than the left, and I usually drive on setting "2" on the leveller(which is the second lowest, 0 being the highest and 3 being the lowest)
Old 5th March 2009, 13:57   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Therefore in my Safari, the right headlight is aimed lower than the left, and I usually drive on setting "2" on the leveller(which is the second lowest, 0 being the highest and 3 being the lowest)
But doesn't that bring your headlight a bit too close on without load?
Old 5th March 2009, 14:06   #81
Team-BHP Support

In city its okay, on highways I go to setting 1. Moreover I have seen that mostly you need a high left headlight to illuminate the left side of the road. For right side lower is sufficient.
When on broken trails at night, I switch on the bull bar mounted fogs, they are aimed to the sides so that when turning etc., I get ample warning of lurking dangers.
When economy improved I intend to get some good quality bull bar mounted fogs, right now desi ones will do
Old 5th March 2009, 14:16   #82
BHPian

With so much constrcution debris/stones/potholes/dogs on the road, its better to have the fog lamps switched on in Indian roads. I always have mine on during the night. If we have really good roads like in UK/US then we dont need to worry about fog lamps.

Fog lamps creating a dazzling effect is just a personal opinion.

BTW regarding some posts where people switch of headlight and use only parking and fog lamps, I think its recipe for disaster as you are making yourself less visible to other drivers on the road.

Last edited by bharatbs : 5th March 2009 at 14:25.
Old 5th March 2009, 14:20   #83
BHPian

The way you have your headlights set is the right way (i.e - Farside light is focued lower than the nearside light). But ive noticed alot of people do just the reverse...
Old 5th March 2009, 14:23   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
well said I agree,

If we have really good roads like in UK then we dont need to worry about fog lamps.
UK may not have as many potholes ( believe me they do exist and people have breakdowns and then sue the council) on roads as may be in India but lot of inner city roads are in as despicable state as roads in Mumbai/Delhi/B'lore/ Hyd.

Last while coming back I had a MB trailing me with the neons on high beam and the fogs on even when the road is fully lit.

The topic being discussed here is people need to be educated about the proper use of various gadgets that comes in the cars these days.
Old 5th March 2009, 14:29   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The topic being discussed here is people need to be educated about the proper use of various gadgets that comes in the cars these days.
To my mind education does not achieve the results!
Some people simply believe they are 'more equal than others'!!
Only punitive measures work with them!
Old 5th March 2009, 14:55   #86
BHPian

This is my personal opinion. Inside of the city, if somebody needs to see more clearly they are better off removing their tints and keeping their glasses clean instead of using fog lights which are meant for a completely different purpose. On highways I don't see how fog lights can be more helpful than just the main beams alone.

I agree that people needs to be educated about gadgets and safety features. I doubt if even half of the people who use fog lights really understand their purpose or have seen any reasonable fog in their life.

Last edited by watashi75 : 5th March 2009 at 14:57.
Old 5th March 2009, 15:06   #87
Senior - BHPian

With minus ten power in my glasses I am terribly sensitive to high beam light - even from a two-wheeler. However, I have no complaints against those who use fog lamps on clear evenings. I just ignore them with a smile.
What annoys me most is the VIP red light. I make an extra effort to block the way of such "VIP"s.
I think in India we generally believe "more is good" and if we can generate more light and more noise and more xxx without spending anything extra we would love to do that. We just don't know where to stop.
Old 5th March 2009, 16:31   #88
Team-BHP Support

I am scared of the auto lighting thread in team-bhp.
Old 5th March 2009, 16:33   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I always drive in the city limits with the fogs on and till date no one coming from the front has dipped his beams or inidcated in such manner as that denotes that the fogs are hurting...
One can give thousands of innovative reasons for keeping the fog lamps on when there is no fog. But end of the day, if each and every car drivers lit up their fog lamps, our eyes will strain. And beyond a point, it will end up in accidents.

Than the fog lamps, the old model bulbs with no cover are very dangerous. They directly hit the eyes and it makes your eye strain a lot (found in buses, trucks, few cars and in Tata Ace). These bulbs should be banned.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:16   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
With minus ten power in my glasses I am terribly sensitive to high beam light - even from a two-wheeler. However, I have no complaints against those who use fog lamps on clear evenings. I just ignore them with a smile.
What annoys me most is the VIP red light. I make an extra effort to block the way of such "VIP"s.
I think in India we generally believe "more is good" and if we can generate more light and more noise and more xxx without spending anything extra we would love to do that. We just don't know where to stop.
Along with that i hate the damn police sirens which many people have installed in their cars to sound VIP. These red lights and sirens are a nuisance. I make a point to block their way as much as i can. Just let ambulances and fire brigades pass on everytime irrespective of the fact they are on duty or off duty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks