Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 19:04   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Highway driving etiquette and rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
On the highway, stay hydrated.

Increase your water intake at least two day in advance. This way your body has adapted....
If you are hungry, eat...

Very valid points. Should be followed to the hilt

Go sit in the ditch long enough to appreciate what was here before the asphalt came by.
(copied this quote)

Couldn't help rolling over laughing. Very well put down (whoever you copied that from
Highway and city, mobile phone is a complete "NO NO". Did I miss out the mention of this part in the thread somewhere or wasn't it covered up?
Old 14th May 2011, 19:24   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon
Highway and city, mobile phone is a complete "NO NO".
Well. I remember reading somewhere that according to the laws of our country, we need to switch OFF the mobile phone while driving.

It would be great if someone confirms whether this is true or not. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th May 2011, 22:41   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
I remember reading somewhere that according to the laws of our country, we need to switch OFF the mobile phone while driving. It would be great if someone confirms whether this is true or not.
As per our state government imposed police rules, to be precise under West Bengal Motor Vehicles Rule 218(2) and under penal section 177 (I am not very sure what is this about), it is a punishable offence. There is also a provision of realising Rs 100/- for any such offence. Please see serial number 46 in the following list:-
http://http://www.kolkatatrafficpoli...penalties.html
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta

Last edited by rahul4640 : 14th May 2011 at 22:44. Reason: Spelling check
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 10:07   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

I aint sure of the rules of switching off the mobiles during driving in the various states. But I make it a point to keep an extra car distance away from those guys who has one hand on the wheel and the other clutching the mobile. Being dangerous is one thing and being irresponsible is another. If that happens to be a lady, I keep double distance away for double the hazard.
(I have seen many expert lady drivers, but let's face it. "Ladies generally make very poor drivers". If they also start clinging to the mobile, God save the others who share the road!!)
Old 16th May 2011, 14:52   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
(I have seen many expert lady drivers, but let's face it. "Ladies generally make very poor drivers". If they also start clinging to the mobile, God save the others who share the road!!)
Lets not generalize!! Either sex will be dangerous with a mobile phone in their hand on the highway. The mobile phone is a downright distraction while driving, specially on the highways.
I have actually changed my point of view about women drivers. Atleast they are not aggressive in nature, on the other hand, I have seen guys trying to kill each other due to their aggression.

Last edited by mb_jg : 16th May 2011 at 14:54.
Old 16th May 2011, 17:11   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
On the other hand, I have seen guys trying to kill each other due to their aggression.
Tell me about it - yesterday a guy in a Santro overtook me on a spiral ramp when I was coming down a multi-storied parking lot. Sounds amazing isn't it !!
Old 16th May 2011, 17:15   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Tell me about it - yesterday a guy in a Santro overtook me on a spiral ramp when I was coming down a multi-storied parking lot. Sounds amazing isn't it !!
It's nothing but scary man. I've seen a guy in an 800 & i10 on the Kolhapur highway literally trying to push each other off the road. The bigger issue in this was that the 800 had 2 kids in there. It's just pure ignorance to acknowledge the existence of another human being. Sad!!
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:17   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Lets not generalize!! Either sex will be dangerous with a mobile phone in their hand on the highway.
Very true. My bad for generalizing only the fairer sex
Old 20th June 2011, 17:09   #309
BHPian

Superb thread, I hope every Indian highway driver reads this !
Dont know if this has been mentioned before in this thread so here goes :

- There might be the odd occasion while you're driving on a 2 lane highway that a truck/bus/car will be directly in front of you at a very close distance, leaving you no chance to brake hard and avoid contact. The only option left for you now is to take your car off the road and onto the mud. While doing this, try and ensure both your left wheels (front and rear) leave the road as opposed to just one. Putting just your front left wheel outside the road and then trying to bring the car back on track is very dangerous and can cause you to lose control over the car. Dont brake urgently once two wheels are off the road as it will cause loss of traction on the left side of the road with the right side still firmly gripping the road surface.

- Also, I am pretty sure I dont need to type this on a forum like Team BHP, but please, please dont create a line on the wrong side of the road in the event of a traffic holdup, or even from the mud outside the leftmost lane. It is the most major cause of traffic jams on Indian Highways as they hold up both sides of the road and it shows that you have very little respect for anyone else on the road. I dont know why such people arent slapped a heavy fine by the RTO. Normally they give way to the wrong siders first !
[/rant]

Just my two cents

Last edited by PuntoMania : 20th June 2011 at 17:10.
Old 17th June 2012, 13:51   #310
BHPian

Driving on Indian Highways and travel tips – my view

Hi Friends,

Attaching a small write up on my view of driving long hours on Indian highways. I have included basic preparation and travel tips along with few driving guidelines.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,
Nikesh
Attached Files
File Type: doc HighwayTravelTips.doc (45.5 KB, 884 views)

Last edited by nikesh : 17th June 2012 at 13:59. Reason: Attaching the word document as the format is not apperaing correctly in text area
nikesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 16:38   #311
BHPian

I also read somwhere that even the use of handsfree or a bluetooth device is prohibited while driving. If thats the case, what do we say about cars like i20 and Figo that offer bluetooth integrated ICEs. Are they also illegal. We desperately need to have a single repository wherein such rules are published. We simply cannot file an RTI for all such queries.
Old 30th October 2012, 16:39   #312
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering what is the reason for putting your hazard lights when you are slowing down on a highway, either for a speed breaker or something else, the car behind can always see the taillights. It may be a code for warning but in fact this kind of warning can make the other vehicles brake hard. Is this is a set practice or something that someone started and we are all using it?
Old 30th October 2012, 16:54   #313
Senior - BHPian

Another thing I noticed is, if the vehicle ahead of you wants you to overtake them, they will flash that side's indicator. Makes you wonder if they want to turn themselves, or indicating that you can overtake. On a couple of occasions when I overtook them, and glanced in my rear-view mirror, they turned their indicator off after I executed the overtaking.
But it is confusing. The best thing is to flip out your hand and indicate, that is universal and acceptable even in the night.
Old 30th October 2012, 17:03   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Have seen this hazard light for speed breaker thing a lot on Bangalore-Mysore highway. May be since that route has lot of speedbreakers and hence came to notice it. A blinking indicator is becoming complex thing to decode. See an indicator, check if other one also blinking. If so may be speed breaker, dead dog on road, driver busy on phone and hence going slow etc. Only left/ right indicator, may be taking turn, giving signal to you to over take.
Old 30th October 2012, 17:52   #315
BHPian

A very good write up. Indeed a necessary one for modern day driving habits.

Few points from me too

•Observe carefully an intersection and blinking signal lights early or late in the night. People carried away when they see the signals off and without much care they move on and can cause serious accidents at T or 4-Way intersections.(This is from my own experience)

• Wait for signals from drivers if you are overtaking multi-axle vehicles and truckers. Especially on Salem-Bangalore route.

• When it rains on a highway drive keep the speed minimal and within your reach(approximately: 70-80 max).

• Never try to do double/multiple over taking. Means do not try to overtake a vehicle which is over taking another one. I have seen many do that on highways.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks