Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 01:57   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes... I seem to be having a nasty attack of brake/break disease <Blush>

It gets to the point where I no longer know which is which even when I think about it.
That is a true blue Indian talking! Someone please petition the govt. to have a Gold Indian Passport issued to Thad.

OT: The 'Caution - Power Break' written behind vehicles, always made me imagine that the occupant(s) were kitted out in dark-glasses & safari suits or in "sandow" banians with more muscle than brain who - were drunk with their own power and would break you!

The 'Caution - Air Break' still makes me wonder - Are they referring to breaking wind?

Cheers,
Old 12th May 2009, 21:25   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Never could spell my own language!

Those signs puzzle me too. One used to see "Caution: Air Brakes" in UK when I was a child.

One uses wind breaks on the beach, and breaks wind when, hopefully nobody will notice...

But back to Indian traffic, "A/C No Hand Signals" is closer to the topic --- how many people still give hand signals anyway?
Old 12th May 2009, 21:29   #168
BHPian

Quote:
But back to Indian traffic, "A/C No Hand Signals" is closer to the topic --- how many people still give hand signals anyway?
Plenty of two-wheeler riders lift their right hand to indicate a forthcoming stop, especially in Chennai.

Personally I roll down the window and twirl my hand to indicate that I'm about to take a U-turn around a median, not just a plain right turn. Otherwise some genius fellow is bound to try and squeeze in on my right.

And on the highways heavy vehicle drivers often signal that it's safe/unsafe to overtake them using their right arms. Now that I have no problem with! Do that, if you want. Just don't use your indicators.
Old 12th May 2009, 21:37   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Plenty of two-wheeler riders lift their right hand to indicate a forthcoming stop, especially in Chennai.
True; a few do.

Quote:
Personally I roll down the window and twirl my hand to indicate that I'm about to take a U-turn around a median, not just a plain right turn. Otherwise some genius fellow is bound to try and squeeze in on my right.
Me too! In fact I often do signal even right turns while approaching the junction, in case the guy behind thought the indicator was just decorative.

[quote]And on the highways heavy vehicle drivers often signal that it's safe/unsafe to overtake them using their right arms. Now that I have no problem with! Do that, if you want. Just don't use your indicators./QUOTE]Agreed again, and also agree that it is good practice.

Some of the few not-so-bad bus drivers give useful hand signals too.
Old 12th May 2009, 21:56   #170
BHPian

Quote:
......how many people still give hand signals anyway?
Not as many as before, true. In bumper-to-bumper traffic, if you need to change lanes, many drivers are more willing to slow down for an extended right arm than an indicator, especially when you make a squeezing motion with your fingers to say "please, just a second". It's the personal touch, I suppose.

Quote:
.......twirl my hand to indicate that I'm about to take a U-turn around a median, not just a plain right turn. Otherwise some genius fellow is bound to try and squeeze in on my right........
Yes, I have had the honour of meeting many of these geniuses. There's a hand signal that's appropriate for them as well but you won't find it in any driving manual.
Old 12th May 2009, 23:42   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes... I seem to be having a nasty attack of brake/break disease <Blush>

It gets to the point where I no longer know which is which even when I think about it.
Hey Nick: You didn't do too badly, did you? ...considering we Indians have been murdering your very own language over the last few centuries that we learnt it! I suppose the heat does it to you. Examples: how about all those buses and trucks spelling braeks/brecks/breks/horn plaez/... I suppose we could go on all night...
Quote:
And you won't believe it, but auto drivers in Ahmedabad/Baroda used to stick their LEGS out to signal a turn. Can someone plaese confirm if they still do?

(Word in bold is my tribute to Nick. Stop blushing!)
Quote:
Do that, if you want. Just don't use your indicators.
Didn't quite get you on that. You prefer hand signals to blinking indicators?
Old 12th May 2009, 23:47   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Didn't quite get you on that. You prefer hand signals to blinking indicators?
I prefer a clear "slow-down, don't pass" hand wave in a vertical plane to a left indicator being (wrongly) used for the same meaning, yes.

I know such a hand wave has its own meaning ("I am going to slow down or stop"), and so by acknowledging its use as a no-pass warning I'm contradicting my earlier stand on signals being used only for their intended meanings, and I invite you all to bash me for that if you like.

But what can I say? That's how I feel. It just seems really wrong to me when done with indicators.

Last edited by Perakath : 12th May 2009 at 23:49.
Old 13th May 2009, 00:02   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm contradicting my earlier stand on signals being used only for their intended meanings, and I invite you all to bash me for that if you like.

But what can I say? That's how I feel. It just seems really wrong to me when done with indicators.
No need for bashing, Perakath. I've been harping all along that truckers speak their own indicator (and hand signal) language, and the onus lies on us to understand the same. And while we may be righteous on this forum about using the proper signals, we can very well leave ourselves open to misinterpretation when a trucker is interpreting our signal. And that misinterpretation by the trucker can lead us straight to the body shop (and hospital) while the trucker simply drives away.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 13th May 2009 at 00:03.
Old 13th May 2009, 07:41   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And you won't believe it, but auto drivers in Ahmedabad/Baroda used to stick their LEGS out to signal a turn. Can someone plaese confirm if they still do?
Yes Auto Drivers in Chennai still practice that with impunity
Old 22nd May 2009, 19:56   #175
Senior - BHPian

my two bits on this thread, I love to do weekend rides. THe rules which i follow on highways regardless of riding a bike or driving a car

1) Never over speed. You might think you are in control, buy you never know when sh*t hits the fan.

2) Never, and absolutely NEVER over take on blind curves.

3) Never overtake from the left (unless its absolutely safe)

4) Downhill on a ghat - always use engine brakes (drive on gears) and not the normal brakes

5) Never overstress while driving : If you think you can't drive / ride any more, pull over and catch 40 winks (I learn't this the hard way)

6) At the cost of sounding sissy, let the trucks / busses pass. They don't care about their buses / trucks, but we do. So let them go, it won't hurts us more.

7) Ensuring that the tail lights and indicators are working.

8) In case when am on my bike wear a high visibility jacket.

cheers,
ac
Old 30th May 2009, 07:08   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
my two bits on this thread, I love to do weekend rides. THe rules which i follow on highways regardless of riding a bike or driving a car

1) Never over speed. You might think you are in control, buy you never know when sh*t hits the fan.

2) Never, and absolutely NEVER over take on blind curves.

3) Never overtake from the left (unless its absolutely safe)

4) Downhill on a ghat - always use engine brakes (drive on gears) and not the normal brakes

5) Never overstress while driving : If you think you can't drive / ride any more, pull over and catch 40 winks (I learn't this the hard way)

6) At the cost of sounding sissy, let the trucks / busses pass. They don't care about their buses / trucks, but we do. So let them go, it won't hurts us more.

7) Ensuring that the tail lights and indicators are working.

8) In case when am on my bike wear a high visibility jacket.

cheers,
ac
I totally agree with ac 427. The overspeeding, like 120 or 130 KM/hr won't help you much to reach the destination faster. You may hardly save 10 minutes. Whne I used to drive my M800 I made it a point that, i don't go beyond 80km/hr and always the car is between 60 and 70km/hr. Now I changed to a sedan and I know that if i drive 100km/hr, i have the full controll. When I cross 100, i make sure to bring back the speed back. In ghat road there is a saying that, one need to use the same gear for down hill as that for up hill.
Other thing is that, avoid the night driving maximum. Most of the accidents happens during the night driving. I usually take 10 minute break after every continous two hour driving. I go for a 5 minute walk, if the stop is not for a tea or biological break. This will helps the proper blood flow and joint pains will go away. These are some of my best practices while driving on highway
Regards,
Sarin
Old 2nd June 2009, 00:00   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarinkumar View Post
Other thing is that, avoid the night driving maximum. Most of the accidents happens during the night driving.
I would beg to differ on that comment. I find overnight drives let me cover more distance in a given time, and there is no slow-moving traffic on the roads like cyclists and cows, so the risk of accidents is much lower. Of course, if you tend to go to sleep at the wheel, overnight drives are not for you.
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:43   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The showing hand thing is a little bit over the top in Chennai.. Especially in the dark, when its impossible to spot a hand (not the whole hand also, mind you!, just the palm!)... My cars bumper got dragged by the metal hook like bumper of an Amby, he suddenly cut right from the left, and apparently had shown his hand for signal... This was at 830 PM or so, Now how am i to see it??
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:45   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Yes Auto Drivers in Chennai still practice that with impunity
How about sticking the left hand out for a left turn?? That also happens in Chennai, and it happens in a flash, before he even decides to show his hand, the hand comes and goes.. You have to be watching keenly to catch a glimpse!
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:45   #180
BHPian

Quote:
I would beg to differ on that comment. I find overnight drives let me cover more distance in a given time, and there is no slow-moving traffic on the roads like cyclists and cows, so the risk of accidents is much lower. Of course, if you tend to go to sleep at the wheel, overnight drives are not for you.
Totally agree with the statement, but IMO it is dangerous to drive after midnight. One might stay awake & fully alert but what about others? That is the time when the after effects of consuming alcohol/ drug fully grips the body, which leads the drivers of heavy vehicles to relax & their reflexes get affected.

It is always better to start afresh at 4'0 clock in the morning, most of the truck drivers relax at this time.

Last edited by breezydrive : 2nd June 2009 at 11:47.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks