Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 11:21   #31
BHPian

Assuming you wouldn't go to the extreme of not traveling because of safety concerns, the issue finally distills down to whether you trust yourself of someone else with your life. If you are not confident as a driver, then you of course have no recourse left but to trust someone else.
Old 29th May 2009, 11:53   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebagchi View Post

There is no logic, to stop oneself for doing thing for the fear of accidents or failures.
People have measure Mt. Everest, because they dared, they developed necessary skills.

You can't live in fear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
My point is neither not to get into the highway ever with your own transportation nor public mode of transportation are the safest. Reasons for highway accidents & safe highway driving practices were discussed in detail in our own forum, but we all know the road discipline followed by our other road users. Its not about whether the public transportation is as comfort as car. Accidents happen everywhere, agreed, but the probability of survival on those high speeds (read highway drives) is much lesser.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1323452

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ndia-pics.html

Could nt agree more with both of you.

I dont want to live in fear, I dont want to die in an accident.

In another 10 years, my son will drive bike. It would break my heart, if unthinkable happens

How can we help?

My 2 cents

1. Dont preach others. Follow self discipline.
I try not to break rules, no aggressive driving and no honking while driving.

2. I think we should help police to improve enforcement.

I have made progress on point 1.. Any other points or suggestion on point 2 are welcome
Old 29th May 2009, 12:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
1. Dont preach others. Follow self discipline.
I try not to break rules, no aggressive driving and no honking while driving.

2. I think we should help police to improve enforcement.

I have made progress on point 1.. Any other points or suggestion on point 2 are welcome
Even if we follow only #1, that is good enough to restore sanity on roads in long run.

While I agree with the sentiments of people, who are opposed to risking valuable human life, I find it quite odd on a forum of auto-enthusiasts.

This forum is about people passionate about their cars and bikes, of course, not just stationary and all shining in their respective garages, but driving on the roads.

One may argue that, one can still be auto enthusiast by driving on tracks and avoiding public transport, but then such breed will be rare few.

In a fast paced dangerous world, what is secure anymore? God forbid, but you may be traveling in a bus or a local train, and it may have a bomb planted by some fanatic terrorist. Are we going to stop using them then?

It is all about taking calculated risks. Appetite for taking risks will vary from person to person. That's why there are so many mountaineers climbing Everest every year with zeal, even when the mortality rate is as high as 5%.
Old 29th May 2009, 14:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
and no honking while driving.
Although I personally do not like to use the horns, I think it is quite essential to use them on our highways/other roads. And the reasons:
  • Many of our roads do not have properly marked lanes
  • Most drivers do not follow lane discipline and cut across lanes without bothering to look in their rear view mirrors
  • Many bikes/vehicles have no rear view mirrors
  • Most often you cannot hear a car coming up behind you
Under such circumstances, it is always better to give a short blast of the horn to let the vehicle/bike in front know that you are about to pass him/her and that too while you are still at a distance from the vehicle in front and not when you are 2" behind the other vehicle.
Old 29th May 2009, 14:53   #35
BHPian

oh!
be generous in honking and giving light signals at turns.

but avoid doing that behind any car, as if you are in a hurry.
It will only add to Road Rage.
Old 29th May 2009, 15:19   #36
BHPian

I strongly believe that if you practice safe and DEFENSIVE driving, the highway is as safe as a city or suburban road.

DEFENSIVE is the key. You should EXPECT the tractor/bus to come on the wrong side. You should EXPECT or even ANTICIPATE the pedestrian/cyclist/animal to jump in front of you. You should expect the car in front to crash into the next car and stop suddenly. You should expect that there will be a block on the road, unless you can clearly see otherwise. You should expect a pothole everywhere, unless you can clearly see otherwise.

Then the rest, like the loose wheel from a truck, a tree coming crashing, etc are unavoidable, and such things can happen even if you stay home.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:11   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
DEFENSIVE is the key. You should EXPECT the tractor/bus to come on the wrong side. You should EXPECT or even ANTICIPATE the pedestrian/cyclist/animal to jump in front of you. You should expect the car in front to crash into the next car and stop suddenly. You should expect that there will be a block on the road, unless you can clearly see otherwise. You should expect a pothole everywhere, unless you can clearly see otherwise.
Well said DileepKS. This is exactly what I follow while driving and this definitely helps.
Old 1st June 2009, 20:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Swami, the point is:
Accidents can happen anytime and anywhere. If drivers jerk while driving, the chances of accidents increase.

I had two close calls today when driving to Bangalore from Alleppey. One was near Angamaly, where a load laden lorry came full onto my lane (2-lane highway), for no apparent reason. I was on dim and was keeping to my lane. Thankfuly I was not fast and was able to get off the road. I guess the driver must've just nodded off. Second was near Walayar, where a lorry had met with an accident and was left on the road. Was doing about 100kmph and just about managed to swerve.

Highways are dangerous. One needs to keep his wits around him or else, others will ensure that he perishes. Even on 4lane divided highways, the opportunities for accidents are real high. Be defensive and anticipate. Its ok to be late by 10-15mins, if that'll ensure that you reach intact.
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post

I am a big fan of that series but I still feel they are the safest. For one - the aircrafts are manufactured in Europe or US. That is re-assuring to me as that would mean all checks/procedures will be followed with due diligence unlike in India. Since an air-crash gets world-wide coverage, most if not all manufacturers carry thorough investigation to find the cause and rectify it. If airline maintenance is the culprit, that too gets close to worldwide coverage and thus, most airlines too are very diligent about maintenence. Crashes still occur as someone somewhere got careless but there are a lot more careless people on road than in aircraft hangars (even if you take the ratio).
Recently Air France jet with 228 on board crashed.
I'm just giving an example here. Even though this is being discussed elsewhere. But Air travel is also very risky. The chances of death are almost certain.
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:58   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
......The chances of death are almost certain.
If you are in an air crash, yes. But if you compare statistics air travel is actually one of the safest means of travel.
If they ever made a series called 'car crash investigation', I bet we would be a little more wary of strapping ourselves into tin cans and zooming across the countryside.
However, I love highway drives. I did not clock 36k km in 14 months driving around on Blr roads, y'know.
OT. I once visited an aircrash site and was spooked every time I had to enter a plane for a few months after. The fuselage had been removed but enough of the debris remained to tell the tale of what must have been a horrible accident.
The sight of a crumpled car somehow does not seem to deter me from driving. Wonder why.

Last edited by Roy.S : 2nd June 2009 at 02:02.
Old 2nd June 2009, 02:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
But if you compare statistics air travel is actually one of the safest means of travel.
I think we are thinking in different directions here.
the number of deaths are certainly less as compared
to road accidents. But there are too many things
that can go wrong with a plane.
By the way I'm travelling by air on coming Thursday
Old 2nd June 2009, 05:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

My watchword while driving is to keep the safety of others (passengers and other road users) in mind before your own safety. Whats the point of surviving an accident if you have blood on your hands for the rest of your life.

But as HVK pointed out, its really hard to stick to your own rules all the time.
Old 2nd June 2009, 08:48   #43
BHPian

I hit the road every time I have to travel on a holiday with family. I take the public transport when I am doing a very short trip and that too when I am doing it alone.

The reason I drive is that it gives a complete control and independence over my schedule. Apart from that, it would allow me to see the country side beauty, which I would miss in bus or train as most of the journey are over night.
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:11   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
and what will I do with life.

Just quoting what I had written in one of the best rides of my life here
PS: no offence intended. Its just that I cannot live with the thought that road conditions will scare me off the road.
+1 to that man. And I'd take on a decent (paved) highway any day. On the other hand, I find city driving a nightmare.
Old 1st July 2009, 10:58   #45
BHPian

I always travel by car during weekends to Mysore and financially it works out almost equal to public transport and the advantage here is the travel is from home to home whereas if i travel in public transport i have to rely on Bangalore's idiotic auto drivers. At the max i spend around 200 Re extra when compared to public transport but I have the peace of mind and the flexibility to start my journey.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks