Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2009, 22:51   #76
Senior - BHPian

High ways are really safe if your are careful on your driving.
Old 29th November 2009, 23:33   #77
BHPian

I always take extra care while on the highways, looks 'easy to drive on' but thats exactly the problem. You're letting your guard down. I lost a friend last year on the bombay-pune highway. The only road travel I do is in city, dont have much reason to go on highways.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:25   #78
BHPian

Driving on the highway is always more fun than driving in a populated area. I agree that there are lots of populated areas along any highway as well but it is an ear-marked zone for drivinng. Yes, there are lots of roads within any city or village as well but they are not ear-marked for free-flow driving because we all know very well that the bustling Indian population makes it impossible to predict when the next wave of pedestrians will hit the road in an Indian town or city. So, whatever driving I do in a town / city / village in India, I never call it by that name. I prefer to call it dodge-driving.

It has its own merits and adds to the skill of any driver. I recommend any budding driver to do a lot of dodge-driving before graduating to the highway because it helps sharpen driving reflexes. On the highway, being alert is the number one ingredient of a good driver. Next comes knowing one's own limitations as well as those of one's ride / drive. Good anticipation is needed and good eyesight as well. Horizon driving has to be inculcated by any driver who wants to indulge a lot on the highways. Horizon driving means not just paying attention to the stretch right in front of your vehicle but even 20 metres, 50 meters and 100 meters ahead. The rule should be applied to the areas peripheral to the road as well. By developing this art of peripheral awareness, you can avoid animals that can jump across fences and suddenly present themselves right across your path on the highway. This happened to me right out of Chittor once as a cow suddenly jumped across the fence of the GQ highway but I was smart enough to have registered it in my peripheral view and could avoid it without too much discomfort.

So, above all technique is most important just like in any sport. If you are technically sound like Dravid, you can easily earn yourself the same nickname. And then, who dare run into a wall
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:07   #79

Going without my car? no way

Car v/s public transport : this debate can go on and on. There are positives and negatives to both. But I would prefer my car particularly if I have to visit multiple places in one trip for the sheer convenience, comfort and freedom to plan the journey. There are few prerequisites though

1. Most important - roads must be good. Its no fun to drive on bad roads and its very tiring and frustrating particularly in case of breakdown.
2. Good car in good condition - Sedan or SUV is safer. I always prefer the car which I drive regularly and never borrow a car.
3. Plan in advance - Long drive to be broken into segments which can be comfortably covered.
4. Start with smaller distances and gain confidence before embarking on longer journeys.

I think "the" quality of a good driver is that he/she has loads of "anticipation". i.e If you see someone standing on the divider waiting to cross think that he is going to cross in front of your car. If you plan to overtake a vehicle think that he can cut into your lane anytime. And I could go on. I feel this keeps me prepared for the unexpected.

Lastly If I have to go far, but to just one place and back, I would go public.

Have a safe drive folks

Atul
Old 10th December 2009, 16:56   #80
Senior - BHPian

The ECR though know for its postcard fitting roads is actually quite dangerous because of the mad bends. It looks like a normal bend but half way trough the bend you know this has all gone wrong .happened to me once.
(East coast road is actually a very scenic route in Tamil Nadu)
Old 12th December 2009, 16:39   #81
Senior - BHPian

You are right,
One should have the look out of 20Meters, 50 meters, 200 meters and long distance look. That can really help you get out of the dangers in all distances. Especiall beware of the adjoining service roads where the joining vehicles rush in.
Old 12th December 2009, 21:47   #82
BHPian

I'll quote something that I read in a novel

Quote:
There was a man who was afraid of everything. Everything in this world. A bus might run him over, or a man might breathe deadly germs into him, or a donkey might kick him to death, or lightning might strike him down, or he might love a girl and the girl would leave him, and he might slip on a banana skin and fall and people who saw him would laugh their heads off. So he went into his room and locked the door. Got into him bed and stayed there. Then a picture fell off the wall on his head and killed him
No Offense intended to any one. Just Sharing an extract with all of you guys.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:35   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
- Long-distance driving is all mental, not just physical. I would put mental strength (reflexes, concentration) as being 70% and physical stamina as 30%. maybe that is why - despite my puny 56 kgs and lanky frame - I am able to drive faster, longer and safer!
Absolutely right. And it is a marathon and not a sprint. Patience is the virtue in highway driving. No one I know of believed that I drive such long distances non stop but after knowing, no one thinks twice before taking the passenger seat in my car, because they are assured of a safe passage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
But travelling by your own vehicle has its own advantages and if i have to drive,
So true. Once a month I drive to Pune from Bangalore, precisely for this reason. The cost of me going to the airport, catching a flight, taking a car to my home in Pune, hiring a taxi/public transport in Pune for that whole week and then return journey! I add all that, compare that with the cost of me taking my car and it is economical. The fun factor of NH4 is a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
I was lucky because I spotted these blokes early and slowed down and I was able to stop safely. A more seasoned driver at a lower speed would have handled the situation safely without a second thought
It is not that you were lucky. You were driving defensively, factoring in the fault of moron drivers, looking in your rear view mirror. That is precisely the reason and not luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^ Yeah. If you know people die in accidents, that doesn't mean you stop driving at all. Heck there have been accidents recorded for every mode of transportation.
That does not mean we sit at home.
We just need to be careful and take all the precautionary measures when we plan our long distance highway runs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
Horizon driving means not just paying attention to the stretch right in front of your vehicle but even 20 metres, 50 meters and 100 meters ahead. The rule should be applied to the areas peripheral to the road as well. By developing this art of peripheral awareness, you can avoid animals that can jump across fences and suddenly present themselves right across your path on the highway.
Another important point. Peripheral vision is the key. Service roads, medians, people or animals in the medians, trucks veering towards the lane marker ... I have noticed many times that truckers veer towards the lane marker when sleepy or lose concentration momentarily only to correct later and if I notice that, I don't even try to over take them till he corrects it and goes back to his lane.

But if you ask me will I ever give up driving for the fear of accidents?? Not in a million years. Not after having seen what fun a driving holidays are. I will strive to improve my ability to do above points, rather than giving up driving.

Nainar

Last edited by anainar : 15th December 2009 at 10:36.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:43   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
High ways are really safe if your are careful on your driving.
Galat jawaaab!! There are times and often we are involved coz someone else is at fault or drunk. In that case we still are cautious but still what has to happen happens.
Old 16th December 2009, 15:09   #85
BHPian

I do about 3 trips out of Bangalore each year. Each of them is about 220-250 km one way and in the direction of Mysore. (The longest I've done is Bangalore - Nasik via Pune and this was in 1994).

I find taking the car on these sort of distances extremely convenient. It gives a lot of flexibility and is actually cheaper than public transport on a per head basis (we are a family of 4) end to end. My petrol Indigo ends up giving 17-18 kmpl when driven steadily.

I never ever set time targets for myself. The drive will take as long as it takes. I stick to less than 90 kmph on 4 laned roads and 70 kmph on two laned roads and once I enter a town enroute it is 50 kmph. We all have a huge responsibility to ourselves, our fellow passengers and road users to reach safe and sound and without anxiety.

I stick to the left lane on Mysore Road unless I need to overtake. I overtake only when it is absolutely safe to do so. If it means sticking behind a slow moving truck for 5 minutes, so be it. I never drive at night. All of us are belted up all the time.

For me the journey is half the fun and I like a smooth leisurely drive.

Srivathsa
Old 19th December 2009, 09:59   #86
BHPian

My Experience two weeks ago. was on my ANHC doing abt 110 or 115 passing a lorry there was a herd of buffalos on the other side of the road.maybe like 10 or 15 all minding their own buisness quite stationary.i just start to overtake the lorry on the right and in a span of maybe 2 sec a buffalo just decides the grass is greener on the other side and is in the middle of the road in between the divider and the lorry. for a second it looked like its it was all over literally had visions of the buffalo squashing the bumper and front glass.No place to Brake No place to manuvere reflexivly out of the way either.squashed the brakes and the horn 0.4 sec before i hit the buffalo it decided to get back on the divider hearing the horn. not fast enough had and impact Mirror was gone and Car was Dented.Damages 8K.I'd be carefull with em buffaloes next time.Probably not a Major crash but just goes to show on our highways you never know when the next dog donkey buffalo wants to run across.....
Old 20th December 2009, 19:16   #87
BHPian

Attitude explains a lot

I had a very disappointing experience on road but thankfully the losses were contained emotionally and not physically/financially.

I was stopped at the palarivattom Bypass Signal at around 8:30 AM on Red. I usually travel little too early, to my office 10 KM away, to avoid the vicious rush hour. I was well within the lane when suddenly a biker just bumped into my OVRM and swifted off. Now hitting that is just another day at traffic. but the fact I would highlight over here is the attitude of the guy who just increased his speed and zoomed away not even turning back once to acknowledge the mishap. Its totally disheartening that the pride of guilt has overtaken simple humane values.

I was totally raged but trying to follow him I feared I might be inviting an accident. thus I just had to bite it down. Incident exhibits the arrogant attitude that is getting brewed in the society. I know even if I follow him and bring him down he would ask me "did I spoil you mirror?" and i wont damage any physical damage to show but a wounded mind which is never to invoke any interest.

This incident just taught me:

1. Please have the courtesy to acknowledge your mistake. Its simply being human unless you dont think of yourself as one.

2. Please DON'T follow such hooligans just out of the instant rush of adranaline because you are inviting more trouble.

3. Note down the Registeration number of the offending vehicle asap. "every dog has its own day". As a matter of fact, in my case it was a CBZ (I know the number...can i put it here is my question?).

4. Try starting to your destination quite early so that you ride with time in hand which may turn useful now or later.
Old 20th December 2009, 20:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sir,

Where did it happen. If you travel on OMR please be carefull all the places beyond Navalur to ECR junction. The cattle enjoy the road. Same in between Velachery Tambaram in between Balaji Dental college and Medavakkam. The other two legged ones cross frequently like that buffallo around camp road Take care of these places where i Come across often. So far no incidents. Two wheelers cross everywhere.
Old 20th December 2009, 22:50   #89
BHPian

That happened about 60km from Saveetha Dental College towards Bang.on Madras Bangalore Highway. I gather the problem was the Lush green grass on the middle divider making it Attractive Cattle fodder . the two wheelers are at least sane and human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Sir,

Where did it happen. If you travel on OMR please be carefull all the places beyond Navalur to ECR junction. The cattle enjoy the road. Same in between Velachery Tambaram in between Balaji Dental college and Medavakkam. The other two legged ones cross frequently like that buffallo around camp road Take care of these places where i Come across often. So far no incidents. Two wheelers cross everywhere.
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:50   #90
BHPian

Been in this situation only once, on Mumbai-Goa highway. A State Transport bus was stationary when I first saw it, and there was another State Transport bus approaching but was at some distance. Hence, I moved into the wrong lane - it is a two lane highway - to overtake the ST bus. However to may horror, as I approached closer to the manouvre the stationary bus started moving, I gave the customary up-down-up lights to the approaching ST, pleading to slow down, but it kept on coming. The dude probably had no life - and this was his only form of excitement.

I down-shifted (I think) slammed the gas and did a cut of my life...and holy molly, my Indica responded exactly as I intended her to, no swerve, didnt leave the highway at any point. But yes, that shook me like hell, and I even thought about chasing the ST guy, however, we were just about starting our vacation, and better sense prevailed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks