Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 20:11   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
On the contrary its real fun when you drive a vehicle like Safari/Scorpio and keep driving on low beam , let the moron with those high beam come close and zuppp , switch to high , and there goes the high beamer(the moron) making him break his dream . Hard breaks and left with no choice to lohewer it . If he stops give him a earful , else he would think twice before doing the same again
These days people have become immune to this. Just like the good night has stopped having any effect on mosquitoes. Trust me I drive a Innova and until recently what you are telling used to work for me. And more often then not the morons used to dip. But suddenly these guys have become resistant to my cars high beam. Even a paltry alto driver doesnt bother! I think I need to shift to higher intensity bulbs
Old 20th April 2011, 02:22   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
A Skoda was coming from Alwaye side and was proceeding to Tripunithura through the Seaport Airport road and the car was continuously on high beam and was trailing me in the Vishu day night traffic putting every other car driver to great difficulty. Seing him constantly on highbeam oncoming vehicles on low beam immediately switch to High beam like a catalytic reaction. The guy never ever touched the dipper switch. (Fellaw may be thinking that it activates an explosive device)

The first photograph of its effect on my rear view mirror explains it.

I stopped and allowed the guy to go past me. What I saw was astonishing it was a State car. See it to believe it. From the number it appears that It is a hired one by the department.

Would the personnel concerned take note and start educating such literate mallus.
I recently came back from a trip to Kerala.
It looked like the Kerala cops have strictly warned their country men NOT to dip their headlights.......NOT even for a second. We're proud mallus. We don't bow down to anybody....forget dipping headlights. Phew!

Old 20th April 2011, 17:15   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
These days people have become immune to this. Just like the good night has stopped having any effect on mosquitoes. Trust me I drive a Innova and until recently what you are telling used to work for me. And more often then not the morons used to dip. But suddenly these guys have become resistant to my cars high beam. Even a paltry alto driver doesnt bother! I think I need to shift to higher intensity bulbs
Upgrade to 100-90 or for better Xenon projectors and feel the difference . I bet they have to dip immediately .Can't understand how these morons manage driving with high beams on , it on the contrary reduces the visibility in well lighted areas except secluded highways
Old 20th April 2011, 17:25   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Even a paltry alto driver doesnt bother!
Might is right, is it?!
unfortunately I have had a few problems with Innovas trying to run me off road or blind me with their high beam. I understand this probably wasnt directed at me (I was doing 60/ low beam/ correct lane), but at the car either ahead of or following me. I hope people understand that the high beam impacts all oncoming traffic and not only that one car. No offence meant, but an eye for an eye would only make us all blind
Old 20th April 2011, 18:10   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Might is right, is it?!
unfortunately I have had a few problems with Innovas trying to run me off road or blind me with their high beam. I understand this probably wasnt directed at me (I was doing 60/ low beam/ correct lane), but at the car either ahead of or following me. I hope people understand that the high beam impacts all oncoming traffic and not only that one car. No offence meant, but an eye for an eye would only make us all blind
+1!

When an oncoming vehicle is on the high beam, I flash my beams once or twice to send the message. If the driver doesn't get it, I just drive on.

No point stooping to his level of stupidity and making him and eventually those behind him miserable too!

A lot of people who've replied here talk of how they switch to their high-powered high beams to teach the oncoming guy a lesson when he doesn't lower. And, those behind him get a free course!
Old 21st April 2011, 15:30   #201
BHPian

Quote:
I understand this probably wasnt directed at me (I was doing 60/ low beam/ correct lane), but at the car either ahead of or following me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
+1!

A lot of people who've replied here talk of how they switch to their high-powered high beams to teach the oncoming guy a lesson when he doesn't lower. And, those behind him get a free course!
Well no offense was meant for anyone , being a BHP'ian and bragging about the negatives of using high beam , we are courteous enough to switch back immediately back to low as the stupid with the high beam is crossed so no question arises of blinding someone coming from behind .

Still i'ld be honest and say "An eye for an eye is definately not the way " but to teach the cabbies you have 2 options either thrash them for their wrong doing / or teach them their way . NO point giving them just an earful . They are just immune to it
Old 21st April 2011, 15:44   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well no offense was meant for anyone , being a BHP'ian and bragging about the negatives of using high beam , we are courteous enough to switch back immediately back to low as the stupid with the high beam is crossed so no question arises of blinding someone coming from behind .
true, but I did not understand the humour (in case there was any intended) about a driver being paltry becuase he is in an Alto. Following such logic everyone in cars should be paltry for truck drivers. My response was directed more at that comment.
Old 21st April 2011, 16:25   #203
BHPian

Quote:
true, but I did not understand the humour (in case there was any intended) about a driver being paltry becuase he is in an Alto. Following such logic everyone in cars should be paltry for truck drivers. My response was directed more at that comment.
Oh God !! Well to honest even I felt somewhat bad on the above lines , but just managed to ignore . I too have a Alto and drive it frequently . Its just a simple thing , whatever you drive , drive with proper behaviour , not to offend or belittle anyone .

Give respect earn respect ,for others theres the high beam
Old 25th April 2011, 17:12   #204
BHPian

I feel many of them are switching to high intensity bulbs these days, the other day I was signaling to oncoming car to dip as it was too bright and was almost blinding me, as usual I flashed and next what happens this guy switches to high beam and I'm totally blinded due to the beam, I think this guy got “provoked” by my request .

Had some terrible time when both on coming vehicle and the vehicle following is on High beam. Normally if the vehicle following me is on high beam, I allow it to over take me, problem solved momentarily till other one with High Beam follows . I have a question, how do you signal to the vehicle behind on high beam ?

Cheers!!!
Old 25th April 2011, 17:24   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
I have a question, how do you signal to the vehicle behind on high beam ?
This might interest you and answer your queries Page 2 specially :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...u-wake-up.html
jealousdiamond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 12:31   #206
BHPian

I have now made it a practice that, if on flashing the oncoming vehicle does not switch to lower beam I just switch off the headlamps (dim) and leave the fog lamps on. I then use the oncoming vehicles lights as guidance till i just cross and then switch on the headlamps again.
This method surely works only in the city and definitely not on the highways.
Old 26th April 2011, 19:12   #207
Senior - BHPian

Last Saturday I was driving from Bandipur to Mysore and probably I've met the most inconsiderate, moronic and un-civilised lot of drivers of the world. Everyone was on their high-beams and had no regards to anyone else on the road. It was really dangerous and I got really frustrated at the end of it. I flashed and flashed and no one except the Truck drivers bothered to lower their high-beams. I had all kinds of idea of having air-guns to shoot at their lights to flash a maglite in their face etc And it was not just the cabs or buses but also every other small or big private vehicles following the same dangerous trait. Except for one Swift driver, God bless you (yes just 1), everyone else just drove away without lowering their beams for oncoming vehicles. Pathetic.
Old 27th April 2011, 11:05   #208
BHPian

Quote:
This might interest you and answer your queries Page 2 specially :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...u-wake-up.html
Quite interesting thread, but will not be able to implement those thoughts

Cheers !!!
Old 27th April 2011, 21:23   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Last Saturday I was driving from Bandipur to Mysore and probably I've met the most inconsiderate, moronic and un-civilised lot of drivers of the world. Everyone was on their high-beams and had no regards to anyone else on the road. It was really dangerous and I got really frustrated at the end of it. I flashed and flashed and no one except the Truck drivers bothered to lower their high-beams. I had all kinds of idea of having air-guns to shoot at their lights to flash a maglite in their face etc And it was not just the cabs or buses but also every other small or big private vehicles following the same dangerous trait. Except for one Swift driver, God bless you (yes just 1), everyone else just drove away without lowering their beams for oncoming vehicles. Pathetic.
I am against using the high-beam while driving; at least when there is an oncoming vehicle. BUT the way our highways are; throw in the factor of stray cattle, 2/3-wheelers without headlamps and in the wrong lane and people, there are occasions where one MUST use the high-beam.

On my recent trip to Hampi, on SH19, there were several occasions when I switched to low-beam on seeing on oncoming vehicle and I had terrible road-vision. I had to intermittently shift to high-beam just to know the road condition ahead.
Old 28th April 2011, 00:14   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Upgrade to 100-90 or for better Xenon projectors and feel the difference . I bet they have to dip immediately .Can't understand how these morons manage driving with high beams on , it on the contrary reduces the visibility in well lighted areas except secluded highways
Exactly. This is the case in rains too. In urban area low beam helps to have a clear view of the road.

Most Viewed