Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 07:53   #346
BHPian

Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
They don't have any reason to drive on high beams, nor does anyone else, in city limits. It again comes to, who is mightier, in this case who is brighter.

Do you see any reason why a IT cab should have aux lamps? Some have extra lamps like a rally car. When driving through the night in a city, the stock lamps with stock bulbs are more than enough.
Yeah true. Not to forget the wacky led lights that replace some of their brake lights confusing everyone on road.

By the way, has anyone recently noticed that most of Bangalore roads are pretty dark with the street lights off? This coupled with the high beams make night driving all the more difficult.
Old 23rd August 2014, 09:27   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I can see some kind of awareness in Hyderabad City towards 'No High Beam', as roads are well lit hence the need to use high beam is diminished.
I would disagree on that. From my experience, Hyderabad surprisingly had a lot more premium cars running high beams on those HID xenons than Bangalore or Chennai. Mercs, Beemers, Cayennes, Audis, Bentleys and many more, all with HIDs on high beam. Despite of having well lit streets, this is what I have seen and was surprised to see the poor safety awareness among people who are driving such cars.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 23rd August 2014 at 09:39.
Old 23rd August 2014, 10:38   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post

I would like to disagree. I have been driven around in the indica/go cabs (private and fleet operators), and all of them had poor OEM lights. Heck, I couldn't see more than a few metres ahead with those lamps. It's not possible for most of us to drive, let alone expecting those drivers.

Also, there are innumerable pockets in any city in India, where the street lighting is poor, and even veteran drivers will require high beams. So, those AUX lights are very likely to be for that purpose. Remember, most of the cabbies are likely to be ferrying people who are staying in parts of city where infrastructure is not developed fully.

Yes, as with anything in this country, a lot of people do abuse it, but on the whole the tata cabbies do require the high beam.

Thanks,
Simple_car
I would agree with you as long as that cab is the only car on the road at the time.
My gripe is that these guys don't know what a hi/low beam switch is .
The fact that there is a hi/low beam on a headlamp set up is so that you get a brighter or more spread out view when you need ,but this in turn affects the oncoming traffic, and at that point of time, you use the switch to go to dim till you pass the opposite traffic.
Same with the aux lamps. If the stock car lamp is weak, and suppose aux lamps are fixed pointing not towards the road, but straight head/parallel to the road , then that has to be turned off when there is oncoming traffic.

It is called road manners and I follow it religiously even for a bicycle , but these morons don't.
My pre-facelift Figo has the worst headlamps on the road. It would be like candlelight in front of a Tata Indica and I upgraded to 100/90 and have Aux lamps as well. I use the bright headlight only when there is no oncoming traffic and my aux lamps are always covered unless I am on a road trip.

In other words, if everyone uses the their head and dip their lights for on-coming traffic, be it unlit roads or Indica's , it would save a lot of frustration, if not lives.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 18:48   #349
BHPian

Came across this news today. I hope that this campaign reaches masses.

Source link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/45355496.cms

Quote:
HYDERABAD: The ever persistent problem of high beam driving has set social networking sites abuzz with a 'no high beam campaign' gaining ground.

The campaign, which has been trending on the twitter for the last 24 hours, has registered close to 350 tweets bearing #NoHighBeam, and the numbers are just going up.

While some tweets batted for punishments for offenders, others came forward with solutions like placing volunteers at every junction to keep watch on drivers with the high beam on.

"The law needs to be very clear. Heavy fines and driver's education on the matter is important," suggested a tweet.

As per Section 177 of the Motor Vehicles Act, the use of high beam light is only limited to highways and they are not to be used in urban areas, where street lights have been provided.

While the law specifies a fine of Rs 100, for the first offence and Rs 300 for the second consecutive offence, police hardly does anything.

"By default, motorists shift their cars into high beam within the city limits too and these lights have a blinding effect on oncoming motorists. Unfortunately, the law enforcement agencies are ill-equipped to tackle this problem. Also, the new Motor Vehicle Act presented by the government, has no mention of high beam lights as well," said Suresh Raju, founder, Vaada foundation, an NGO working for road safety.

On its part, the Hyderabad traffic police had initiated a drive against fancy headlights and high beam driving in the month of February and caught close to 10,500 such drivers with high beam on. But, even this initiative of the police died out months after its inception.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:06   #350
Senior - BHPian

What is the need of four or more stock lights in a truck or bus? The size of a Vehicle is not to be a criteria for the number of lights.
The new generation trucks have several powerful lights with which drivers of those vehicles intimidate smaller vehicles. Stringent action by authorities is the need now.
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:26   #351
BHPian

I would welcome volunteers or enforcement of rule in chennai. The company cabs and many SUVs have become a menance on all fronts, and this is no exception. Also noticed that some SUVs with Projectors blind drivers in cars, given that their height is almost level to the lamp. Not sure if this is a regular problem of High beam or location of the lamp!

Not sure why the police turns a blind eye (at least in chennai) to this menance
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:29   #352

I always wonder why there hasn't been any inventions or technical advancements in creating a glare free light.May be its not possible I think.I find bikes and cars use high beam even in a small street leaving you virtually blind.

They don't even respond even if we signal for a high beam.
Old 3rd December 2014, 21:15   #353
Senior - BHPian

Hi-Beam menace has grown now.

Earlier it was just cabs, LCV's and few private cars.
Now, it is auto rickshaws, because they have two headlights, two wheelers , since they all have clear lens headlamps and none of them have the sense to dip for oncoming traffic.

I have reached such a state that if they can endanger my life because I am blinded with their lights, that I angle my handle straight to them with whatever power lights of my Bullets.
Some lowlife's dip and in the same second go back to bright like they are doing it for some formality.

Sad part of this is that , the people who drive in bright always, even if you stop them and enlighten them, it will not make sense to their brick heads .

Sad that the cops aren't enforcing this strongly.
Old 3rd December 2014, 21:22   #354

@Tharian, Exactly bro. Once I blinked a high beam to a oncoming high beam using biker, he stopped, I also stopped. He was so furious because of the dim/dip I did and didnt have a clue of using a high beam in 10 feet street.
Old 3rd December 2014, 22:35   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some lowlife's dip and in the same second go back to bright like they are doing it for some formality.(A)
the people who drive in bright always, even if you stop them and enlighten them, it will not make sense to their brick heads .(B)
(A) Yes quite true. These blokes believe that the dipper switch is wired to a time bomb.
(B) There are brick heads, who keep their high beams on even when they stop at signals and on road sides. This is more menacing.
Old 4th December 2014, 11:31   #356
Senior - BHPian

It is a nuclear arms race for the higher and brighter headlamps on the road.
Non violent movements like Quit high beam cannot hold a 'candle' to such headlights.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 11:51   #357
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotys View Post

They don't even respond even if we signal for a high beam.
Errr, Buddy do you really expect these guys to understand the reason why you signaled them for or for that matter what your signal meant? Most of them would have got their licenses by paying money and not having to take any test and equal number of them would not even have a license.

Quote:
Sad part of this is that , the people who drive in bright always, even if you stop them and enlighten them, it will not make sense to their brick heads .

Sad that the cops aren't enforcing this strongly.
The traffic police tried to tackle this a while back along with shrill horns, sadly as with many drives (except the tint papers) this one too died a silent death.

I believe and also have friends who only use high beams irrespective of me telling them countless times that it is troublesome for other road users, they feel it is safer for them as they can see the road better. The others go to hell, I don't care kind of attitude.
Old 4th December 2014, 12:20   #358
Senior - BHPian

I always make it a point to drive only in low beam in city irrespective of whether the opposite guy is coming with high or low beam on. Whenever it is required for me to take a turn and i spot a vehicle coming towards me, i then use the blinker.
Infact I have fixed 100/90 bulbs in my car. I do understand the fact that it will be tough for the guy coming in the opposite direction if i drive in high beam.
Old 4th December 2014, 12:26   #359
BHPian

High Beams can be deadly, especially those from the new two wheelers which are equipped with flashers. The car headlamps are static but bikers sometimes swivel the handlebar to flash the light directly into your eyes, thus forcing you to slow down and let them pass, without giving you a chance of looking into your rear view mirror to check if there's any vehicle behind you.

The regulation of aftermarket lights and accessories is the most imperative safety requirement in the immediate future. I am not sure if we can collate this data, but I have a hunch that a sizeable number of road accidents on highways that are single lane occur due to headlight related misbehaviour.

People in small cars cannot see the oncoming traffic, nor their rear view mirrors due to the glare.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 20:33   #360

very true.I too don't use high beams no matter what the oncoming vehicle uses. But at times, I feel pretty stupid thinking that I respect and understand the oncoming travelers safety but in-turn they don't.

Very rarely I return the favour and I make sure to stop them and let them know why I used high beam and what made me to do so. Some take it, others don't and some even get furious and try to fight, which obviously not gonna happen because I always maintain my cool and a 2nd degree black belt.

Recently I've even seeing red/yellow circles when seeing high beams glares. Pure terror.

Most Viewed