Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2014, 18:21   #361
BHPian

Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

In my previous organtization I used to get home pickup as my shifts used to start early morning (2AM - 6AM). A few of the cab drivers had absolutely no clue about the concept of high-beam / low-beam and used to drive around on high-beam everywhere! One hilarious experience I had was when my cab driver was on high beam and had lots of oncoming vehicles flash their headlights asking him to lower his beam (as courtesy) - what this driver used to do is flash his headlight every time he had someone flash at him! After noticing this strange behaviour a few times i asked him about why he does this (the flashing) -- guess what! He said the opposite guys are flashing because it is night time and to make their presence felt - and he is doing the same! I was like
I then had to explain why they oncoming cards flash at him and he seemed to be quite surprised about the same! Asked him to try it and it worked, so he was convinced!
nishantbhatia84 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 23:30   #362
D C
BHPian

Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM - High Beam prohibited in Bangalore

Bangalore Traffic Police Facebook Page has shared this poster to create awareness regarding the prohibition of High-Beam in Bangalore City. I wish Chennai follow this example shortly!

Source: Bangalore Traffic Police
Attached Thumbnails
Say NO to HIGH-BEAM-high-beam-banned-bangalore.jpg  

D C is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 12:37   #363

I believe cars sold in Gujarat have a small band on the right headlight, which prevents the high beam from blinding others.

In Mumbai for some reason tempo drivers, taxi drivers and drivers in general think high beam is necessary for driving even under brightly lit roads.
Old 26th December 2014, 13:23   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteryoda83 View Post
I believe cars sold in Gujarat have a small band on the right headlight, which prevents the high beam from blinding others.

In Mumbai for some reason tempo drivers, taxi drivers and drivers in general think high beam is necessary for driving even under brightly lit roads.
I don't know the technical research that went behind that rule. Maybe the stuff/material that they used was able to lower down the glare. But in reality there is no such effect seen on the road. The problem of high beams is rampant and most people do not even respond to your incessant dipper. For some reason I always feel if there headlights are all upgraded to better quality bulbs since they are successful in completely blind me always.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 13:43   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteryoda83 View Post
It’s a small yellow strip on the median-side of the driver side headlight and it is downright useless and serves no real-world purpose. Perhaps it did when the rule was imposed but right now it’s useless. Gujarat is the lone state in India that follows this rule and cops pulling over vehicles (even the out-of-state ones, passersby) without this sticker is rampant in Ahmedabad.

Related thread
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 15:57   #366
BHPian

Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM - High Beam prohibited in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Bangalore Traffic Police Facebook Page has shared this poster to create awareness regarding the prohibition of High-Beam in Bangalore City. I wish Chennai follow this example shortly!

I hope all cities follows this. Atleast the motorists needs to be aware of the problem he is creating. They dont understand why high beam is provided, and many use it in well lit roads as well in the City. And some use it to intimidate the person in front to move out of his way.

Old 5th January 2015, 23:27   #367
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone seen high beam filters/protectors in accessory shops ? My dad had a pair in the old car but I havent been able to find a new set anywhere. It is basically a thin semi flexible transparent medium blue plastic sheet that clips onto the bottom of your sun visor an is about the same size. When a car passing in the opposite direction has his high beams on, you simply flip down the sunshade and the blue plastic filters out the yellow light and cuts the glare drastically.
I think its a must have accessory in our cars
Old 6th January 2015, 00:25   #368

Anyone facing problems with XUV 500 headlamps? when drivers of this car flash high beam i literally go blind for that duration . unable to see anything at all. Mahindra should think about other drivers too. Limit the brightness of their XUV 500 halogens. Too bright to endure!!!
Old 6th January 2015, 09:26   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd BHP View Post
Anyone facing problems with XUV 500 headlamps? when drivers of this car flash high beam i literally go blind for that duration . unable to see anything at all. Mahindra should think about other drivers too. Limit the brightness of their XUV 500 halogens. Too bright to endure!!!
This is not only related to XUV500 but all vehicles including 2 wheelers (who have installed HID). I even find the high beam of TATA ACE blinds me momentarily. People should learn to drive in low beam within city.
Old 6th January 2015, 10:01   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd BHP View Post
The problem I guess, is the level of the headlights. AFAIK, they use the same rating of bulbs as any other car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
This is not only related to XUV500 but all vehicles including 2 wheelers (who have installed HID). I even find the high beam of TATA ACE blinds me momentarily...
The problem is the way the headlights are aligned. Many 2-wheelers have their headlights aimed at the face of the oncoming driver rather than the road. Tata Ace is a peculiar case - seems TML designed the headlights just to blind the oncoming motorists and not illuminate the road ahead
Old 7th May 2015, 07:05   #371
Senior - BHPian

Today's Kochi edition says that the police here are cracking down on hi beams and the use of illegally powerful beams. Apparently the local cops do not have the equipment to measure the power of these lights; the report says this equipment is used by the Bangalore Police.
The report also elaborates on imported extra power headlamps fitted by aftermarket accessory shops.
Attached Thumbnails
Say NO to HIGH-BEAM-image.jpg  

wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2015, 12:04   #372
Senior - BHPian

Why can't the manufacturers come up with speed governed light beam angle?
What this means is that when the vehicle speed is low, there is no point in seeing stuff 1 km away. Therefore the headlight only points to the road nearby.
As the speed progresses, the beam moves up so that you can illuminate farther.
Old 7th May 2015, 14:57   #373
Senior - BHPian

Another annoying aspect of high beams- stuck in a jam and just sitting there with high beams on.

I wonder what these type of drivers think when they drive. How can a driver just sit in one spot for minutes together and not realize his/her high beams are on, it will reflect back on them from the rear of the car ahead!

Earlier in this thread I had mentioned of drivers not bothering to turn off their headlamps in a jam, now it is with high beams on.

Not only does this affect traffic in the opposite direction but also to the cars ahead in the same direction.
Old 7th May 2015, 15:24   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Has anyone seen high beam filters/protectors in accessory shops ? My dad had a pair in the old car but I havent been able to find a new set anywhere. It is basically a thin semi flexible transparent medium blue plastic sheet that clips onto the bottom of your sun visor an is about the same size. When a car passing in the opposite direction has his high beams on, you simply flip down the sunshade and the blue plastic filters out the yellow light and cuts the glare drastically.
I think its a must have accessory in our cars
I see this is rediff shopping. http://shopping.rediff.com/product/c...visor/14634645

But there are night vision goggles which is much cheaper and I think, I would prefer that.

Last edited by sukhoi30 : 7th May 2015 at 15:25. Reason: Link was not correct
Old 7th May 2015, 19:23   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Another annoying aspect of high beams- stuck in a jam and just sitting there with high beams on.

I wonder what these type of drivers think when they drive. How can a driver just sit in one spot for minutes together and not realize his/her high beams are on, it will reflect back on them from the rear of the car ahead!
I don't always succeed, but I try to remember that even brake lights in the eyes are a pain for the person behind. At a red signal, or in stationary traffic, put on the handbrake and, like it used to say on the old-fashioned red signals, relax.
Quote:
Earlier in this thread I had mentioned of drivers not bothering to turn off their headlamps in a jam, now it is with high beams on.
I never thought of turning off my headlights in that situation. I don't think it should be a problem. It is a big problem, of course, if the vehicle behind is a van, lorry, bus, or some other thing where the headlights are glaring straight in through the back windscreen.

I don't think that one should wear any sort of dark glass for night driving. Reducing the light getting to your eyes means that all visibility is reduced. An exception to this is that I used to have photo-chromic+polorizing "driver's" glasses where the tint actually went to zero in low light. They were very good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks