Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2015, 17:39   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I never thought of turning off my headlights in that situation. I don't think it should be a problem. It is a big problem, of course, if the vehicle behind is a van, lorry, bus, or some other thing where the headlights are glaring straight in through the back windscreen.
It is something that I think which is not required.

Stop at a signal for a couple of mins or stuck in a slow moving jam, there is actually no need for the headlight to be on. Park light + bumper lights(if present) are enough.
Just my thought, that most of the times these may be the same drivers who sit with high beams on and not realize it.

Not a generalization, but I have noticed these drivers are in their own world , fiddling away on their phones or busy with something oblivious to the world outside.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2015, 18:06   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

When I am returning back home after 9PM and stop at the umpteen signals before reaching my destination, I see at least 80% of the cars (forget 2 wheelers), have their high beam indicator turned on in the Instrument Panel.

These are the same chaps who would fold their side mirrors upon realizing a glare due to high beams from traffic tailing them.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs. Even on well lit, well marked roads (those few that remain today), we see drivers on High beams.

I for one always turn my headlights off and idle with just the Bumper lights/Fog and parking lights whenever I am waiting for the signal to turn green.
Old 8th May 2015, 20:03   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Sadly, the overwhelming majority whether literate or not do not even know the rationale behind the dipped and high beams. The latter is simply the brighter version of the former. God help us!
Old 9th May 2015, 00:58   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Sadly, the overwhelming majority whether literate or not do not even know the rationale behind the dipped and high beams. The latter is simply the brighter version of the former. God help us!
I had a driver once who used to say it is better to drive in high beam because the oncoming car remains alert... :(.

Needless to say, he didn't remain my driver very long.
Old 9th May 2015, 11:36   #380
BHPian

Contrary to perception, I find 2 wheelers to be a bigger challenge. They drive with very powerful beam and try to overtake cars from both sides. The height of the beam is such that it directly hits the outside rear view mirrors on both sides blinding the car in front. On top of this they would be honking incessantly for way. How is one expected to watch the outside rear view and give them way? they do not seem to understand that they are putting themselves at risk as well as delaying their own overtaking manoeuvre as there isn't an easy way to let them overtake. I think some common sense among such people would help here.
subbarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2015, 12:24   #381
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Contrary to perception, I find 2 wheelers to be a bigger challenge. They drive with very powerful beam and try to overtake cars from both sides. The height of the beam is such that it directly hits the outside rear view mirrors on both sides blinding the car in front.
For me it is the heavy vehicles that are to be made to understand that NO high-beams to be left ON during idling at traffic signals.

Reason: Their headlights are right up the same level as out ORVM's and the rear boot lid window causing whole of the beam hitting the eyes of the driver through the IRVM + L ORVM + R ORVM and that IMO is highly irritating.

The funniest part with bikers are none of them know how to adjust the level of the beam using the leveller screw provided underneath the headlight cowl. The two-wheelers that I see maximum have their headlight pointing upwards into the trees/buildings. That's a waste anyway and they literally struggle to see the road (but obvious).

At my workplace, I have adjusted 8-9 bikes for the right beam level.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 15:16   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I for one always turn my headlights off and idle with just the Bumper lights/Fog and parking lights whenever I am waiting for the signal to turn green.
Even Fog Lights should not be used when there is not a dense fog out there. I guess some countries like UK, USA, Australia etc. has some rules regarding this as well just like high beam. Normal consensus is that fog lights should not be used unless there is a dense fog where your visibility is below 100m. Otherwise you will dazzle the people behind and in front of you.

Here in India, most people who have fog lights in their cars, always drive with it even in clear nights. That's definitely not the use of fog lights. At signals only the parking lights are good enough.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 16:31   #383
Senior - BHPian

Last week, there was a drive by Kerala Police to catch high beamers in Kochi. Caught, fined and educated the people from the literate milieu. For a week, drivers were very much obedient and law abiding. Kochi was a very nice place to drive at night during this period. But alas, the drive by Police was for that day only, and within a week, it was all back to square one.

Last edited by rajeev k : 19th May 2015 at 16:44.
Old 19th May 2015, 16:38   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Even Fog Lights should not be used when there is not a dense fog out there. I guess some countries like UK, USA, Australia etc. has some rules regarding this as well just like high beam. Normal consensus is that fog lights should not be used unless there is a dense fog where your visibility is below 100m. Otherwise you will dazzle the people behind and in front of you.

Here in India, most people who have fog lights in their cars, always drive with it even in clear nights. That's definitely not the use of fog lights. At signals only the parking lights are good enough.
By fog lights do you mean the yellow ones, since those are the ones usually called fog lights. I refer to the lights in this context as bumper lights so it is understood.
Old 20th May 2015, 14:22   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Double take...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Last week, there was a drive by Kerala Police to catch high beamers in Kochi. Caught, fined and educated the people ...
I first read that as "caught, fined and executed."

Sure, I'm very much in favour of enforcing road rules, but that would have been going a bit too far!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 16:34   #386
BHPian

Here in Mumbai too, I observe that more than 90% people drive with high beam on, even inside residential areas.
I feel the problem is more of awareness. There are lots of first time car owners who are just not aware that a high beam is not to be used in well lit roads and never in city areas.
In fact, when I had bought my Wagon R, some 9 years ago, even I used to drive with high beam on, until a colleague of mine pointed out.
There would be a small percentage of "rogue" driver's who just wont listen, and the only way to deal with them is the strict enforcement of law.
Old 21st May 2015, 00:01   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I first read that as "caught, fined and executed."
They need to be, if you consider the several lives lost, indirectly attributable to the blinding light from those powerful head lamps.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 07:50   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post

I've read this piece in several places that the fog lights would dazzle the people in front of you but I'm still unable to understand how it can happen. From what I know, all OEM fog lamps are 35W, placed very low on the bumper and have a very low throw. I can't see how this can dazzle the oncoming traffic, since the fog lights have a height cut-off lower than the low beam.

I do agree that rear fog lamps are annoying but the number of cars with rear fog lamps turned on are very less in our roads. Majority only uses front fogs.

Unlike the foreign countries where you don't need to drive through numerous craters and speed breakers, we have to encounter them in Indian roads and I've found the fog lamps to improve the visibility of the area immediately in front of the car, especially when oncoming traffic has high beams on.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 14:03   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've read this piece in several places that the fog lights would dazzle the people in front of you but I'm still unable to understand how it can happen.
Me too. I wonder if people are thinking of the after-market spot lights people fit?
Quote:
From what I know, all OEM fog lamps are 35W, placed very low on the bumper and have a very low throw. I can't see how this can dazzle the oncoming traffic, since the fog lights have a height cut-off lower than the low beam.
Absolutely. They are aimed low and wide: just right for slow/moderate-speed pothole spotting.
Quote:
Unlike the foreign countries where you don't need to drive through numerous craters and speed breakers
Don't be so sure that the foreign countries are better! In UK, the political situation is very ant-car, and road design is intended to delay/inconvenience drivers!
Old 21st May 2015, 15:30   #390
Senior - BHPian

There is only one way to make people use low beam - tell them that high beam reduces mileage! (true to a minute extent).
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks