Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2017, 15:54   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
What is with these flickering non-stop lights ...
Next new thing after the Beedle-Eedle-Beeble horns!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 11:46   #452
BHPian

I am not sure if this is practical or is it even advisable at first place. Or if this is already discussed?

Any takers for speed dependent High Beams only?? Just like a music system of some cars, which cut downs the volume to a pre-defined level if car is above a certain speed.

Can we have high beams speed dependent? Can there be a device planted in cars straight from the manufacturer which does not allows us to switch to high beam if we are not above X KMPH (Say 60). Of-course after a law has been made, if found practical.
I saw a thread of D-Zire, taxi model coming out with speed limited to 80 only. Hence this.

All cars crawling in city traffic with high beams are absolute menace. Causing un-necessary trouble. Whether coming from front or someone following me in city traffic on high beams.
If it all they are crawling at slow speed, it is understood that car(s) ahead of them are also going trough the same & understandably, they do not need high beams & can drive in low as it will also save car in front, of them from the reflections through RVMs. IF they do not understand by themselves (mostly the case), let them understand forcefully.

I do understand that if the oncoming lane is open, I will still be facing high beams as the oncoming car will be above the defined speed limit.

Any takers for speed dependent High Beams only?? Happy to discuss with all pro's & cons. Ignore (Mods - Please delete this post) if already discussed.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 21st November 2017 at 11:52.
Old 21st November 2017, 12:41   #453
BHPian

Saurabh, I don't think your proposal would be practical for the reasons you yourself put up. I can think of two options which I'm sure can be feasible.
1. Make it mandatory for all new vehicles to be fitted with spring loaded high beam controls, to prevent them from being on continuously
2. Looking at this interesting link http://forums.fourtitude.com/#/topics/353950?page=1 I thought, why not make it mandatory for manufacturers to make the headlamp glass of all vehicles polarised? Coupled with that all we need are polarised spectacles or clip-ons, like I have, to minimise the effects of the high beams
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 12:43   #454
BHPian

Well today someone was giving me a flash by in my condo basement -- that too while climbing a ramp, behind me. I pulled over after the ascent, and let him go. Was also driving way too fast inside a basement parking.
Old 21st November 2017, 12:47   #455
BHPian

It should be possible to determine the illumination of the road ahead and if it is sufficient, like on city roads, to disable the highbeam. This technology exists today, but needs to be implemented. Cameras can detect the illumination level in front of the car, and using this input, inform the car computer to switch on the high beam if the lighting is low. This will prevent drivers from unnecessarily using the high beam.
Old 21st November 2017, 14:28   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Any takers for speed dependent High Beams only??
No, because sometimes one needs them at low speed on dark roads.

Auto-dipping? I'm not sure if this might not be a thing already? It would be based on proximity of other vehicles, or presence of oncoming vehicles. Such ideas, unless mandated, are only going to be standard on luxury vehicle vehicles. And those who want permanent high-beam are certainly not going to pay extra for a gadget to turn it off.

There is another factor. Despite the overwhelming problem, in this country at least, being over and inappropriate use of high beam, there could be situations where taking that control out of the hands of the driver could be dangerous. Imagine a claim such as the car turned off the beam just as the child ran out onto the road.

Maybe that's not the best example, and, yes, the answer might well be that the driver should have been driving slowly, but potential product liability is not that simple.

I'd pay extra for a self-dipping mechanism that worked well! Most of the people who wouldn't even read this thread probably wouldn't.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 21:04   #457
BHPian

I could go for 'speed dependent high beams', except for the fact that sometimes we need them 'at low speed on dark roads' too ! I could go for 'light dependent high beams' as they would dip automatically in cities, and also on highways when oncoming vehicles are there... but there may be other issues ! About polarising glass, do not know how effective or expensive they might be. What not we have to think up in this driving etiquette free world, eh ?

But I am back to my favourite flogging-horse -- the Always Headlight On (AHO) two wheelers ! The first batches of factory AHOs are on the roads, and I watch with dismay as they seem to go Always High Beam On (AHBO) ! I was hoping that those 'babus' who dreamt it up would have some gumption, and fix the 'always on' feature for dipped beams only, but no. They ride on back seats with their faces buried in newspapers or I-Phones, and they would not understand our plight. I was happy that most Calcuttans disregarded the new rule from 01 April, but all new 2-wheelers are choiceless - like Aadhar linking !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 02:05   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
... About polarising glass, do not know how effective or expensive they might be. What not we have to think up in this driving etiquette free world, eh ?
I gather that welders no longer have to strike the arc in blind blackness: they have instant-dimming helmet visors. What a fantastic piece of technology! (I'm probably way behind the times, but the last time I attempted (and failed) to weld was at school in 1968). We have flass windows that change their density, and, of course photochromatic spectacles, although they are hardly instant.

The technology is there. Maybe the problem would be with stopping the bright light, whilst not stopping the ordinary levels, or we will be blinded even worse on the road.

There are lots of possibilities, but no, it should not be necessary to solve this problem, which is not with lights, but with people.

Quote:
But I am back to my favourite flogging-horse -- the Always Headlight On (AHO) two wheelers !
I thought they angled them to point up!

And while we're ranting, lets add the minibuses, trucks, etc, with headlights that shine straight in the back window and straight onto the rear-view mirror.

Last edited by ampere : 27th November 2017 at 08:41. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 27th November 2017, 06:57   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Well today someone was giving me a flash by in my condo basement -- that too while climbing a ramp, behind me. I pulled over after the ascent, and let him go. Was also driving way too fast inside a basement parking.
You should not have. Now he will do it again, the lout.
It is symptomatic of Indian behaviour of ME first, that carries on to our roads. In the UK a headlight flash by an oncoming car means - You go first. We only talk about pehle aap - but that is just talk. We will argue about who flashed first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There are lots of possibilities, but no, it should not be necessary to solve this problem, which is not with lights, but with people.
Again, no amount of tech can solve problems that arise with people and their culture or, more accurately, lack of it. And things have not always been this bad. In Mumbai of 50 years ago, all cars drove on parking lights at night. All the time. Few used a horn at night, because the headlight flash then did that function. In many ways, India has regressed.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 08:08   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
I could go for 'speed dependent high beams', except for the fact that sometimes we need them 'at low speed on dark roads' too !
I had posted this idea quite sometime back. Focus Distance be adapted to vehicle speeds. This may actually negate the need for a high-beam. The flashing feature can still be retained.

btw, if a road is bad - but you are going fast, the lighting will still be at a distance based on your speed.
Old 27th November 2017, 08:15   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
You should not have. Now he will do it again, the lout.
It is symptomatic of Indian behaviour of ME first, that carries on to our roads. In the UK a headlight flash by an oncoming car means - You go first. We only talk about pehle aap - but that is just talk. We will argue about who flashed first.
For me personally: HB are the single most highest menace on Indian roads, which reek of selfishness, and ignorance. Every time I drive at night, I let people pass by, by pulling over or giving wide lane side (if possible) to avoid the HB. Specially high rise vehicles like XUV / Creta / Fortuner. In NCR, Creta's have become the worst. Are they coming with standard mercury fits.? They are also the most bullying drivers. I think these are guys, graduating from a hatchback -- and now muscling people around. I let him pass: to move out of his selfish circle. Carry on. If someone wants to overtake on a ramp, they ideally should be in some asylum, not out with common normal people. A person of that mental accord: should not be spoken to, and or interacted with: At all. So I let him pass. And was at peace.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 27th November 2017 at 08:17.
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 08:44   #462
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I can understand that, but the way that poor culture takes over is when the opposite kind surrenders to it, even meekly. We are seeing this happening everywhere in India today.

There is an old saying: All it takes for evil to flourish is for good to not raise even a whisper in protest. In which case, are the good not just as guilty for the state of affairs?
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed