Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 14:48   #76
BHPian

I have a (not so) Noble suggestions to people who are going crazy with high beamers.

Get a flash light installed on the front and back of your car. Next time guys dont respond use it.

its even worse when the guy driving behind you has a cheap white light on high beam. flash it on him. He deserves to take a break before he drives again.
Old 10th September 2009, 15:01   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
When a high beam drives opposite, i request (Flash), i scream (continous flashing) and i dont care . Off late ive changed to high beam if the guy opposite dosnt respond.
I would not recommend you to continue your style since a mistake by the oncoming high-beamed vehicle driver who gets blinded by your high beam can result in an error by him and the result of that error can cost his life, his passengers lives, your life, your passengers lives or an innocent bystanders life.

Simply not worth it.

A decade back, I would have been thinking like you but the grey hairs have made me do a rethink on this subject and today, I would simply slow down or even stop if I get blinded but would not take any risk.

Practice safe driving, life is too short to allow an error to take it away.

Always remember to keep margin for other's faults on the road.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:21   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I would not recommend you to continue your style since a mistake by the oncoming high-beamed vehicle driver who gets blinded by your high beam can result in an error by him and the result of that error can cost his life, his passengers lives, your life, your passengers lives or an innocent bystanders life.
+1 to that, at times our life may be at stake for such things. There is no point in taking such a risk either in the city or on the highway.
Old 12th September 2009, 12:57   #79
BHPian

At least 15% of high impact accidents are caused due to high beam blinding every year.
Old 13th September 2009, 11:48   #80
BHPian

Last night I was returning to Mumbai from Pune and thankfully took the expressway as it was getting dark. Even so I had to drive in near blindness due to high beams cutting across the divider and my only guidance was the lane markings that were lit up in my low beam. This meant that I kept my speed below 60kmph. No problem, as it is better late than never. High beams don't just irritate the driver in opposite direction but also the driver ahead in same direction. I get terribly disturbed by high beam continuously blinding me through my mirrors.
OT: on the other hand I also found huge Volvo-type buses and trucks with no lights at all on the expressway; looming like ghosts in the dark. How easy it is for a blinded driver to bump into one of these!
gostel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2010, 02:08   #81
NFS
BHPian

People are least bothered when it comes to driving in the dark.
  1. Two wheelers switch off all lights and cut the traffic from all directions (this is the worst and they are hardly spotted by rear traffic)
  2. Always use high beams to trouble the other driver (may it be oncoming or to overtake someone)
  3. Two wheelers point their headlight on the rear view mirror at traffic lights
  4. No one cares to switch off the headlights when on a traffic signal (If done gives a lot of relief for your eyes, try it). Even your own headlights strain your eyes by reflection.
  5. People cross roads at busy intersections when you have oncoming traffic with high beam on. It becomes hard to spot the pedestrian.
  6. Turn on indicators and turn assuming their indicators work (actually they may have a fused bulb)
  7. Upgrade the headlight bulbs beyond the permitted limits
  8. Use after market headlights to blind the oncoming traffic
I am against using HIGH BEAM or the lights in whatever mode it would make difficulty for others. Also I would prefer not to Blind others by flashing your headlights (may be requesting for a low beam or teaching him/her a lesson), because we should keep in mind the lights from our cars do NOT disturb only one vehicle, but many especially in cities (with bumper to bumper traffic).

Join the Say NO to HIGH Beam campaign (take a pledge on your own or join Siddharth Patnakar of NDTV).

Thanks,

NFS
Say NO to HIGH BEAM, pls
Old 25th August 2010, 14:03   #82
BHPian

It's the paranoia of unsafe Indian roads that make most drivers use their high beams at night & also break a lot of other traffic related rules.

I remember me & a couple friends took an overnight road trip from NYC to Niagara Falls. No one used their high beams on unlit highway stretches. Why? Because you are pretty confident that no one will cut lanes, or try crossing the highways on foot. The only probable danger was from deers jumping across to get to the other side.

Driving in India is in itself a challenge, driving at night only increases the accident factor. We encounter dogs, cows, swerving cars, slow trucks without tail lamps, drunken idiots, the list is endless. I wouldn't actually blame anyone using the high beam to counter a possible impact, yes, I would blame a person who doesn't dip a high beam to oncoming traffic.

We do not have the perfect infratstructure to support & instigate good driving habits. I have seen a lot of drivers trying to follow rules despite the pathetic state of affairs. Driving habits in India can change for the better, provided the right infrastructure is laid in place to make that happen.

Yes, but at the same time I do agree, we should make the best of the what we have at the moment to minimalize risk on roads.
Old 25th August 2010, 15:34   #83
Sandy!!!!

In Pune driving in dark is a nightmare. Most vehicles drive on high-beam even within the city limit. When you toggle your beam to signal such errand drivers to lower their beams, they too toggle back, and continue on their high beams.......

Old 25th August 2010, 16:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy!!!! View Post
In Pune driving in dark is a nightmare. Most vehicles drive on high-beam even within the city limit. When you toggle your beam to signal such errand drivers to lower their beams, they too toggle back, and continue on their high beams.......

This is so true, may be atleast on this forum we can urge all the member to ask their friends relatives to say not to HIGH BEAM!

Sometimes when I gesture my hand and the guy behind me about his light, he dips down, I feel good and most of the times people do not even understand why I am flashing the light, they are plain ignorant. I am pretty sure that they are not doing on purpose, they just dont know! And God bless them!
Old 25th August 2010, 16:41   #85
Senior - BHPian

I have seen drivers who does not even know that there are two beams for headlight. Many of them believe low beam is same as "small light" and that they should switch the "big light" on to see things properly. I have even seen some of my colleagues abroad using high beam by default and switch to low beam only if asked to do so.
Old 25th August 2010, 16:48   #86
BHPian

People Driving on High beams is a big Pain for me. Over the years I have adjusted to focussing on the road rather than the Headlights of the oncoming car hence dnot have problem most of the times with High beams drivers.
I am still ok with people driving on high beams on highways and gives u enough time to flash and get them to dip or even give them the high beam treatment if they don't comply.
However what pisses me off the most is the fact that people drive on high beam in well lit city road . Even more stupid are the people who run on high beams and fog lights as well.

Feel like parking in front of them in the opposite lane ans asking
"Are you blind to require 4 lights to see in a well lit city road"

But what hurts most is that people dont even realise that they are doing any thing wrong. Same is the case with people who drive from behind on high beams and stupid white lights in stock reflectors.

While driving on the Eastern Express Highway, I regularly roll down the window and wave people behind my car to lower the beam. Some do , Some Dont.
For Those who dont, I just let them go ahead and then trail behind them on High Beam. Serves them right to understand how it is like to see High Beams in your OVRM.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:51   #87
Sandy!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
For Those who dont, I just let them go ahead and then trail behind them on High Beam. Serves them right to understand how it is like to see High Beams in your OVRM.
I too follow the same principal!!!

Old 26th August 2010, 12:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj
Come to Chennai, here even in bumper to bumper traffic its "high" beam. Its an everyday thing here in Chennai, its really rare to see anyone driving around with low beam.
So true.

I can sort-of understand people using hi-beam on highways. And if they dip for oncoming traffic, that would be great. But to use hi-beam inside the city, in slow-moving traffic is so senseless. More than oncoming traffic, it is the blinding from rear via IRVM that is painful.
Old 26th August 2010, 13:39   #89
BHPian

I may accept cars use high beam, but what happened to these morons in two wheelers.. running on high beam. Some even went flashing against fellow two wheelers to give a way (Busy road though).

It happened to me last week. I was driving my unicorn back home and just couple kms left to my home. This guy in star city bike was flashing at me to give him way as anyone who have two eyes can see that i cant go left its tightly packed traffic ahead and to sides.
He happily continued this for almost 1/2 km and i got really frustrated and stopped near center median and asked this guy
me: Do you know how to drive
him: why , what's your problem
me: Your flashing HL is my problem.. cant you see traffic ahead and besides me?
Him: Whats the problem with flashing at you?
I'm like speechless for a moment and literally shouted you guys just take the bike and ride not bothering about traffic rules or even fellow drivers.
I just said this and left the scene:
One should have either traffic/driving sense or common sense, its big problem for us if you don't have either one...

Oh i forgot.. he looked a well dressed representative or something (not a aam admi)
God when they guys understand all these....

kottee
Old 26th August 2010, 14:09   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy!!!! View Post
I too follow the same principal!!!

During my initial years of driving, I took whatever opportunity I had to communicate to the other driver to dip;
but I think I have realised that there is no use in trying to advocate to others,, it just doesn't seem to have any effect. Some might respond, most will be indifferent, and some would bark back at you.

I feel it is better to focus my effort on keeping myself safe and avoiding an accident, than trying to educate another.. there are just too many morons around.

Suresh.

Most Viewed