Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 12:30   #46
BHPian

OT: Guys, I wanted to ask a question. When do you switch on your headlights? As soon as light starts fading or only when it becomes dark?

I find that it hurts my eyes most when people switch on their headlights and it is still twilight. As for me, I try to be considerate towards others. I switch on my parking lights initially and switch on my headlights when it becomes dark.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
OT: Guys, I wanted to ask a question. When do you switch on your headlights? As soon as light starts fading or only when it becomes dark?

I find that it hurts my eyes most when people switch on their headlights and it is still twilight. As for me, I try to be considerate towards others. I switch on my parking lights initially and switch on my headlights when it becomes dark.
during twilight I have my fogs on, not for the light but just so others know I am there. when it gets dark the half beams are on and the fogs off.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
during twilight I have my fogs on, not for the light but just so others know I am there. when it gets dark the half beams are on and the fogs off.
For me, Parking lights first and as it gets darker switch to headlights.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:54   #49
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Driving in the twilight hours of both dawn and dusk can very very tricky. Its also the time when accidents are most likely to occur due to the changing light conditions.

I switch on my headlights only when the darkness is perceptible, makes it easier on the eyes as well.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:16   #50
BHPian

Yup, i agree, first parking lights (in case of no fog lights in the car) and then the low beam HL after it becomes a bit dark. IMHO, most of the drivers would decide which is the best way to use the HL based on their experience.
Old 4th August 2009, 17:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

a lot of people have said that ist difficult to drive during the early morning and late evenings when the light tendsto get into the eyes and also the intensity keeps varyings too much. Switching on your main headlamps on may ensure an early onset of tunnel vision where in your attention may get fixated in the lines on the road thereby effecting responses to object in the peripheral vision field.

Since i do a lot of driving in the night i have to manage both dawn and dusk the best way of doing it is to delay turning on your main headlamps till as humanely late as possible during dusk and switching off the lights as soon as you spy the first rays of the sun.

hope this helps, it sure has helped me.
Old 5th August 2009, 00:43   #52
BHPian

Quote:

As already mentioned by many, its best to turn on the headlights on Low beam only after its completely dark if you are driving in city or to turn on High beams if you are on a highway.

During twilight its better to keep the parking lights on which ensures visibility of the car around that time.

However, driving in city when sun has set completely, I keep my lights to parking lights with fog lights on, provided streets are well lit.

Though still people drive at high beam or with additional lights on, when not required especially in cities & i feel this can be reduced by spreading awareness about usage of High Beams & also by penalizing the drivers using high beams in city.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:25   #53
BHPian

How to deter high beamers

High beams! How I hate them!
I have a novel way of bullying people with high beams on (specially the cabbies). In case they dont respond after I have dipped them at least 4-5 times, I switch on to the high-beam, slow down and move towards right, into the oncoming lane. I make them slow down, give them a stare and move away.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
High beams! How I hate them!
I have a novel way of bullying people with high beams on (specially the cabbies). In case they dont respond after I have dipped them at least 4-5 times, I switch on to the high-beam, slow down and move towards right, into the oncoming lane. I make them slow down, give them a stare and move away.
I hate to sound like an old uncle, but please refrain from your bullying. Its easy to give in to emotion and indulge, but please remember you are not putting only yourself at risk, you are endangering other motorists as well. All for what? just to put somebody else in his place? Every defensive driver plans for contingencies each time he overtakes someone, each time he brakes, each time he turns. Contingencies will happen once in a hundred attempts, so you will not regret the 99 times you do this. But the one time it does go wrong, the consequences could be unbearable. Thanks for listening, hope I haven't offended.

Cheers,
Old 5th August 2009, 12:38   #55
BHPian

Rightly Mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
I hate to sound like an old uncle, but please refrain from your bullying. Its easy to give in to emotion and indulge, but please remember you are not putting only yourself at risk, you are endangering other motorists as well. All for what? just to put somebody else in his place? Every defensive driver plans for contingencies each time he overtakes someone, each time he brakes, each time he turns. Contingencies will happen once in a hundred attempts, so you will not regret the 99 times you do this. But the one time it does go wrong, the consequences could be unbearable. Thanks for listening, hope I haven't offended.

Cheers,
Rightly mentioned Sriku, the whole idea of this thread is to raise over voice against HIGH BEAMS and not to make life in danger by trying risky maneuvers. Best is to make them notice by giving dipper on HIGH BEAM longer than usual (instead of 2-3 secs 5-7 secs). In this way atleast we dont endanger ourselves & neither the oncoming traffic.
Old 5th August 2009, 14:05   #56
BHPian

A SOLUTION:

I've been saying this for years now... In India, the High Beam setting for all vehicles should be spring loaded, and made in such a way that you cannot leave the switch/stalk in the High Beam position. (i.e. similar to the winshield washer operation)

So if you want to use the High Beam for flashing, you can do that, but you cant leave your lights on High Beam unless you hold it in that position with one hand.

In a country loaded with rude and uneducated people, this is the only solution.

(And if you're driving on a highway at night, you should drive on Low Beams most of the time, with occasional flashes of the High Beam when you need to check for obstructions. Just because you want to drive faster thats no excuse for blinding oncoming traffic and cattle chilling on the roadside.)
Old 5th August 2009, 15:01   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
A SOLUTION:

I've been saying this for years now... In India, the High Beam setting for all vehicles should be spring loaded, and made in such a way that you cannot leave the switch/stalk in the High Beam position. (i.e. similar to the winshield washer operation)

So if you want to use the High Beam for flashing, you can do that, but you cant leave your lights on High Beam unless you hold it in that position with one hand.
don't feel bad but I don't think it's good to have this kind of solution. Just because people don't have common sense/good driving attitude it doesn't mean solve the problem like this.
Earlier there was rule to cover right/top portion of head lights with yellow (later black) colour. Later it became black circle in the middle of the head light.
Rules are there but if implementation is problem doesn't mean "don't provide High Beam without holding leaver"
Old 5th August 2009, 15:30   #58
BHPian

@Sriku & Saurabh.
I guess you are right. Guess I need to extend my fuse a little bit longer. Its just the uncaring attitude of these cabbies which pisses me off!

Cant we do something about it? Specially since our good old cops are doing precious little about it!
Old 5th August 2009, 15:44   #59
BHPian

Quote:
@Sriku & Saurabh.
I guess you are right. Guess I need to extend my fuse a little bit longer. Its just the uncaring attitude of these cabbies which pisses me off!

Cant we do something about it? Specially since our good old cops are doing precious little about it!
Firstly, the fact that we need law enforcement to penalise us into good behaviour itself is a very poor reflection of our society. What can we do about it? Well, how many people do you know and interact with regularly? 20-30, spread the word about the negative effects of high beam driving. The next time you get into a Meru cab, a kala pila or any private cab...the cabbie is bound to get chatty with you...give him a dose. The next time your cousin receives you at the airport, give him a dose. Granted, this is not going to change anything overnight. But it is the least we can do as individuals. People who use the high beam constantly are not like chain smokers or compulsive gamblers. They will not have any withdrawal symptoms.

What I personally do is spread some fear about the high beam bulb drawing more current from the battery, leading to battery draining and wiring problems. This usually makes cabbies sit up and notice. They usually remember stuff like this. It may be a lie, but its a small white lie, and I know God will forgive me for it!

Cheers,
Old 5th August 2009, 15:54   #60
BHPian

Quote:
@Sriku & Saurabh.

We are already doing it, dont you think atleast on Team-BHP whosoever is the member atleast understands the use of High Beams or to say when not to use it.

Awareness is there but will take time to spread around (especially with the cab drivers). If we ourselves atleast are following the right path, then i am sure others will also follow sooner or later.

My two cents on making people aware on use of High Beams is by making the Licence issuing process a bit more stringent & meaningful. People in major cities might be getting there licences after doing the course(understanding the rules of the game) & successfully passing the driving exam but its not the same in rest of the cities. One can easily get a four wheel driving licence issued without really being behind the steering wheel of a car ever.

Comments are most welcome...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks