Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 16:31   #61
BHPian

Hey Sriku, While i appreciate your efforts on "say no to high beam" through all possible means, a false information is not going to help you as the cabbie (as you have mentioned) if knowledgeable on these is going to look you like "what stupid is this guy talking" I always prefer to take the discussion in the right spirit and explain the consequences of high beam and make them aware of it. This always works well during night drives as we can give him live examples of the ill effects.

No offences to your thoughts and these are just my 2 cents.
Old 5th August 2009, 17:01   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
false information is not going to help you as the cabbie (as you have mentioned) if knowledgeable on these is going to look you like "what stupid is this guy talking"
Your point is well made Sir, cannot defeat its logic. However, through experience I have realized that even a half-truth when delivered in a slow menacing voice by a bearded 6 foot, 100+ kilo sinister looking fellow, is usually accepted without question

Cheers,
Old 5th August 2009, 17:21   #63
BHPian

I "always" drive with low beam when I see vehicles around or when the roads are reasonable well lit. The only case where I use high beams are in desolate roads which are pitch dark. This helps me to see the road a bit further and plan accordingly.

Btw, I don't use horn, in any case!
Old 5th August 2009, 19:05   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I "always" drive with low beam when I see vehicles around or when the roads are reasonable well lit. The only case where I use high beams are in desolate roads which are pitch dark. This helps me to see the road a bit further and plan accordingly.

Btw, I don't use horn, in any case!
You have company. I do exactly as you have said above. The only difference is that I travel unfamiliar roads very rarely!

I too don't use the horn.

After a long time, I was a passenger in my car. My driver seems to have picked up these habits. In 60kms, he used the horn only once. I would not have used that horn also, though!

I have to use the horn to get my watchman to open the gates!
Old 9th August 2009, 14:19   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

You have company. I do exactly as you have said above. The only difference is that I travel unfamiliar roads very rarely!

I too don't use the horn.

After a long time, I was a passenger in my car. My driver seems to have picked up these habits. In 60kms, he used the horn only once. I would not have used that horn also, though!

I have to use the horn to get my watchman to open the gates!
Besides, raising the awareness on usage of HIGH BEAMS, i guess atleast we also need people to be aware of usage of HORNS.

I have seen many drivers, who just like to honk whether there is a need or not, & the worst irritation happens when people start honking at a signal the moment it changes from RED to GREEN.

For me, HONKING is also a strict no no, but to be true, is required quite sometimes, when people just turn blind to dippers or are just busy on there cellphone driving on the rightmost lane, to give the other cars way.

I am sure many of you would have found this happening around them.
Old 9th August 2009, 15:13   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
Besides, raising the awareness on usage of HIGH BEAMS, i guess atleast we also need people to be aware of usage of HORNS.

I have seen many drivers, who just like to honk whether there is a need or not, & the worst irritation happens when people start honking at a signal the moment it changes from RED to GREEN.

For me, HONKING is also a strict no no
+1 to that.

Quote:
but to be true, is required quite sometimes, when people just turn blind to dippers or are just busy on there cellphone driving on the rightmost lane, to give the other cars way.
For these idiots only, I have installed a Stebel. Make them deaf and they won't have any option but to keep the phone aside and move away.
Old 10th August 2009, 00:23   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
+1 to that.

For these idiots only, I have installed a Stebel. Make them deaf and they won't have any option but to keep the phone aside and move away.
Thanks Nitin & you surely are keeping your Wagon R pampered & yes its not a bad idea to start a thread on NO HONKING.what do you say?
Old 10th August 2009, 12:36   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
A SOLUTION:

I've been saying this for years now... In India, the High Beam setting for all vehicles should be spring loaded, and made in such a way that you cannot leave the switch/stalk in the High Beam position. (i.e. similar to the winshield washer operation)

So if you want to use the High Beam for flashing, you can do that, but you cant leave your lights on High Beam unless you hold it in that position with one hand.
Implementing this solution would be logistics nightmare & unnecessarily adds to cost. Its as good as removing high beam option.

A better solution: Those who face problems with high beam can go for anti-glare glasses.
Old 10th August 2009, 13:47   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Implementing this solution would be logistics nightmare & unnecessarily adds to cost. Its as good as removing high beam option.

A better solution: Those who face problems with high beam can go for anti-glare glasses.
You will find category written on most sunglasses.
The value ranges from 1 to 5.
1 is the lightest and 5 the darkest.
3 is the most popular setting. But if you want to wear them for night driving (esp Polarized) then get Cat 2.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:08   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi View Post
RTO should put high alert on this HORN Manufacturer company only. All musical and high decibel horn should be removed from all the vehicle before we permanently get def.
Old 10th August 2009, 19:27   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

What a coincidence. I just made the same point in another thread where the owner was contemplating putting100/90W bulbs.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1425210
Old 11th August 2009, 00:13   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
RTO should put high alert on this HORN Manufacturer company only. All musical and high decibel horn should be removed from all the vehicle before we permanently get def.
Arin, a nice thought, but if the RTO had been so effective, then probably, people using high beam in the city conditions, people using black windshield film beyond the prescribed limit etc would not been see so commonly.

The best is having awareness atleast among those who are part of this community & being a sensible driver & a citizen dont use HIGH DECIBEL horns.

By the way does anyone knows the prescribed decibel limit for the horns to be put on four wheelers?
Old 29th August 2009, 21:06   #73
BHPian

How do we solve the problem of high beam drivers tailgating you and the beam reflects off the RVM and hits you in the eye?

Point the mirror in such a way that it reflects their own lights and hit their eyes?? How can this be done precisely?
Old 29th August 2009, 21:52   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
How do we solve the problem of high beam drivers tailgating you and the beam reflects off the RVM and hits you in the eye?

Point the mirror in such a way that it reflects their own lights and hit their eyes?? How can this be done precisely?
Akshay, nowadays cars are coming with anti glare RVMs, where with one flick you direct the high beams to another angle & thus wont be budged with high beam.

However, pointing the left & right view mirrors in a way to hit the eyes of the driver is not a good solution as that will always differ per car cause not every car is of the same height & not every car will be always having the high beams at one specific angle. Best approach would be try to give way to the guy as soon as possible if the glare is straining too much in your eyes. However, if there is traffic then would recommend to lower your left & right view mirrors where you can see just the tail of your car & more of the road. But care should be taken that the real use of left & right view mirrors is always there i.e you are able to see the traffic coming from left & right.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Come to Chennai, here even in bumper to bumper traffic its "high" beam.

I'd have to agree its really due to sheer ignorance and 0 common sense.

Sometime back was stuck slow moving traffic. Government Bus come with high beam right in front of me, I have just enough room to let him squeeze pass me . Unfortunately I cannot move as I can't see anything (I have a Zen and the bus's light is at my eye level). I'm in low beam, flashes my light.

Bus guy starts honking. I roll down my window and tells the guy politely (with whatever tamil I know). He is asking what does light has to do anything with moving my car. I again calmly explains I "cannot see anything" as the light is blinding me. Finally he "gets" it.

Its an everyday thing here in Chennai, its really rare to see anyone driving around with low beam. Cab guys are the best, they does't even know there is a low beam.

Anyway, I'm done teaching the folks here. I'd rather drive slow than get hit head own by some mindless zombie.
cabies in Chennai, are tot that if the blue light on your pod dosnt glow your headlights arent working.

When a high beam drives opposite, i request (Flash), i scream (continous flashing) and i dont care . Off late ive changed to high beam if the guy opposite dosnt respond.

Cabs, govt busses, even police accent cars drive on high beam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks