Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 00:41   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
I was referring to newer Indigos. So too Vistas and Aces.
It may also be that most of these cars (Indigos and Aces) are commercially operated (read taxi etc.) and it is common practice to change the lamps/the reflector assembly etc to make sure that the light is the brightest and goes the farthest. I also have felt several times that headlights of Indica's and Indigo's are unreasonably bright!
Old 5th May 2012, 22:10   #317
BHPian

For well lit city roads I prefer to drive on the low beam. I get really annoyed when the traffic on the opposite side does not dip the beam of his glorified HID or over bright colored head lamps. They do not understand that if I cannot gauge what is in front of me it is equally risky for him as for me. With the development in electronics inside the car, they should make it automatic, with some timer, before it resets to high beam. Also if an oem option is available for HID projectors, then some of the fools would not put the blinding bulbs, just because "they think" they can see better with those blinding lights.
Old 18th May 2012, 03:43   #318
APT

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_myth View Post
Goan taxi drivers are notorious for driving around in high beam along with the usual Lady drivers (many are even ignorant that there exists a low beam) and the senior citizens
Being a new driver this puts me a little conscious - so, thought of getting this clarified. I drive a Ritz that has done less than 1500 KMs so far, and that is pretty much the entire independent driving I have done. About 200 KMs of this might had been with the headlights on. As little as it might be, many a time I have felt that the drivers of the oncoming vehicles from the opposite side are not so comfortable with my headlights.

So the question: Ritz headlight control has a knob that is to be turned clockwise from the off position (let's call this Position P0). When I turn it once, the tail lamps, number plate light etc are on (let's call this position P1) but the headlamps are not on (as per the Ritz owner's manual). I can't see a thing on the road while in this position. If I turn the knob a little more (Position P2), the light is bright enough to see clearly the road ahead and this is what I have driven when I had to turn the lights on. Now I can push the entire knob handle away from me (Position P3), and as per the manual this puts the High Beam on with brighter light, but I can't see anything on the road immediately in front of me while in this position.

I was always assuming that I am expected to drive during the nights with the knob at P2. Is that correct? Or when we say "Say no to high-beam", do we mean I should drive in position P1? Honestly, I don't think I can.

May be, it sounds too stupid, but I thought it might be good to get this clear so that ignorance is not misunderstood as arrogance.
Old 18th May 2012, 09:02   #319
BANNED

@rajeev_K; Thanks for illustrating my point.

Only one BIG fly in the ointment. You have posted the pics for a car driving on the rhs of the road, i.e. a lhd (reverse of ours). This is why the lowered pattern is on the left. Reverse the image and you will know.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:36   #320
BHPian

@APT

You are right. You should be driving in the P2 position with the lever pulled towards you and not in the P3 position.

Also make sure to set the headlight leveler to a position that the headlight does not bother the oncoming driver.

The P3 position should only be used when you are driving through unlit roads and there is no oncoming traffic. This beam will throw the beam in a straight line and thus you will be unable to see the road surface just in front of you. This is meant to see obstacles which are far away from you.

Hope this clarifies.
Old 18th May 2012, 12:42   #321
Senior - BHPian

This hi beam menace will go on till some gentleman files an IPL in the Apex court. Then the implementation on compliance of lights as per MV rules will commence just like the one on sun films.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 19:52   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Only one BIG fly in the ointment. You have posted the pics for a car driving on the rhs of the road, i.e. a lhd (reverse of ours). This is why the lowered pattern is on the left. Reverse the image and you will know.
I have mentioned that in my post.
Quote:
Please not these are for Right traffic ie for traffic that sticks to the right side. In other words, for our country it will be a mirror view.
As the Lo beam covers a longer distance in an asymmetric set up cyclists and pedestrians could well be spotted early.

Last edited by rajeev k : 18th May 2012 at 19:56.
Old 18th May 2012, 20:37   #323
Senior - BHPian

In Fiesta classic, i could manage to drive without the high beam even on highways too.

The high beam is used only as a flicker.

However, in a 2 lane road where curves are not properly indicated, high beam is essential.
Old 19th May 2012, 17:04   #324
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
1. I have mentioned that in my post.

2. As the Lo beam covers a longer distance in an asymmetric set up cyclists and pedestrians could well be spotted early.
1.Sorry,I must have missed that.

2. Unfortunately, they are often near or in the middle of the road. In find the asymmetric dip of both my Santro and Civic pretty ineffective. Oncoming fools with full beams add to the problem.

In the pre clear glass (pattern on lens) days things were not that bad.
Old 26th May 2012, 12:47   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
In Fiesta classic, i could manage to drive without the high beam even on highways too.

The high beam is used only as a flicker.

However, in a 2 lane road where curves are not properly indicated, high beam is essential.
Yes, in my Fiesta too, had no problems driving on the highway without the highbeam. Resorted to the high beam only on roads without proper signage for curves. In my Yeti though, if I use the high beam can't see the road just ahead of me and hence need to use the fog lamp. What I do however, is use the high beam sparingly and only if there is nothing ahead of me or on the other carriageway.

In the hills, of course, the high beam is an absolute no-no.
Old 16th September 2012, 11:13   #326
Senior - BHPian

Two days ago drove to Chertalla through Thanneermukkom after 8pm and was surprised to find almost all driving with their head lamps in low beam. It appears that they are educated to drive like that, bikes, cars et al. I haven't seen such a thing recently anywhere else in Kerala. Kudos to them for their fantastic road manners.
Old 6th August 2014, 18:33   #327
BHPian

Waking up a very old thread, but I could not resist posting a news article on punishing people driving with high beams.

Here it is http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...se-police.html

I could not control my laughter!
joe1980 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 20:52   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Waking up a very old thread, but I could not resist posting a news article on punishing people driving with high beams.

If that happens in Bangalore especially, all the cab drivers will have time to only sit in front of hi-beams instead of driving

I really wish something like this happens though.
It is so annoying to make some morons dim their lights and at the end they think we are just having fun by blinking our lights and all they do is dim for a second.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:54   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

Thats innovative, and to some extent make people understand the problem, not that they are not already aware. During the night just take a look around while at any signal, and you could count the number of low beams(at least in Chennai).

Instead the offenders here need to be sitting in front of the high beam for an hour before they are let go.
Old 12th August 2014, 20:52   #330
Team-BHP Support

Ha, that's precisely how you give them a taste of their own medicine!

Say NO to HIGH-BEAM-1407324371781_wps_5_pic_shows_chinese_traffic.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Mail
- Police in China force drivers caught using full-beam lights to sit and stare into them as form of punishment.
- Traffic police introduced the rule following a number of accidents caused by motorists blinding drivers of oncoming traffic by using their full-beam lights.
- Motorists who have undergone the punishment have complained it lasts for up to five minutes, although police insist it lasts for a minute at the longest.
- Any motorist who now refuses to undergo the punishment faces a fine, having their car impounded and even runs the risk of losing their licence.
- A local traffic police department spokesman said the initiative had received some criticism but overall it had been widely appreciated.
Daily Mail UK

EDIT: Whoops, did not notice that joe has already posted the news above. Apologies!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th August 2014 at 20:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks