Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2016, 17:34   #406
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
There should be a buzzer every time HIGH BEAM is activated below a certain speed, say 60 kmph.
Either the buzzer would be deactivated or bypassed but this High beam menace won't end buddy.

I have tried to persuade many oncoming drivers to dip to low beam by flashing my lights but they are immune. They think I am mad or signaling them for something.
Old 27th October 2016, 20:35   #407
BHPian

Re: Say NO to HIGH-BEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narendra.vw View Post
Aren't we forgetting City night driving while it’s raining. Most of the vehicles are on High Beam. It creates blindness to oncoming traffic as well as to him self. Light reflect back.
Exactly!

With the rain (even a heavy drizzle is enough), high beam renders you blind if there are no streetlights. At times, I even check to see if my lights are turned on since I can't see the road in front of me.

It then becomes a game of guessing the road in front, based on the image lingering on your retina after a few brief seconds of view before the beam blinds you.

Very scary!
FloatingCanvas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 13:32   #408
BHPian

Here is a unique way to desist tailgating high beam drivers ... put up scary decals. I love the concept!! But, on the flip side, wouldn't these cause more harm than good? Scared drivers might cause serious accidents.

http://www.blumhouse.com/2016/11/16/...gh-beam-usage/

Quote:
Drivers have been buying these amazing window decals that feature the faces of creepy apparitions that only become visible whenever someone flashes their high beams at you. Needless to say, the authorities fear that these will only cause accidents and hence, they’re fining anyone that uses them.
sukhoi30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 11:36   #409
BHPian

Saw this quote on a hoarding put up by Kochi traffic police - "May the light of your vehicle not cast darkness on another family".

Sounded very apt, only if the police would put action before words and penalize those who cannot follow this simple rule in highways.
IndieGooner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 22:32   #410
BHPian

Now that the ALWAYS HEADLIGHT ON (AHO) rule is applicable for two wheelers, we have the high beam menace during daytime, too. Earlier too, bikers would curse you if you asked them to dip, or say something nasty while passing you, in narrow streets in towns and cities, mostly well lit by streetlamps at night. I always wonder how those riding on high beam are not inconvenienced by others glaring at them head on ! Now it has become a rule, and most people do not know that there is a LOW beam !

Surprisingly, many people think that the AHO rule is a step in the right direction. But I feel that it should be applicable to highways only, where vehicle density is lower, and most travel at speed. There too, AHO cannot save three/four guys piled on one bike, travelling at high speed without helmets ! But in towns and cities, with slow traffic and everyone honking at everyone else and also blinding at high beam, makes things worse. To add to the menace, bikers happily flash you on your face, not knowing that the flasher is mainly for signalling from behind (instead of a horn). Calcutta (and most Bengal) drivers always have the HL on at high beam at night, no matter how well lit the road may be !
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 22:56   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Surprisingly, many people think that the AHO rule is a step in the right direction.
It is. Really, really, it is. It can be the difference between seeing a biker and not seeing them. And that can mean a lot

Quote:
But in towns and cities, with slow traffic
Towns, cities, slow. No. Don't you get to drive at 30, 40kph? Fast enough to kill. And the bikers are more likely to be where they should not be, which is all the more reason that they should be easier to see. Remember it is our job to keep them alive
Old 10th April 2017, 01:21   #412
BHPian

Quote:
There should be a buzzer every time HIGH BEAM is activated below a certain speed, say 60 kmph.
Many a times, people maybe forgetting that headlights are indeed on HIGH BEAM.
+Millions.
If a buzzer is too much of hassle- Let the automobile manufacturers put a logic in place which does not allow high beams to function more than 10-15 seconds below 80KMph. This should be applicable for all the road legal vehicles. Additionally, this would not need a tech break through to achieve this. This becomes all the more important since the AHO rules have come in place.

I simply fail to understand how people drive with high beams on, even in City, on well lit roads even. With time, high beams on vehicles is getting stronger and brighter. Even an Activa's high beam renders me blind in the night.
LordSharan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 01:53   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many a times, people maybe forgetting that headlights are indeed on HIGH BEAM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
+Millions.
If a buzzer is too much of hassle- Let the automobile manufacturers put a logic in place which does not allow high beams to function more than 10-15 seconds below 80KMph. ... ... ...
Absolutely, Utterly, and as strongly as I can put it without breaking forum rules: No.

High beam is not primarily to do with speed, it is to do with visibility. And whether it is used at 10kph or a hundred, the user is under the same obligation not to dazzle other road users.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 12:33   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Absolutely, Utterly, and as strongly as I can put it without breaking forum rules: No.

High beam is not primarily to do with speed, it is to do with visibility. And whether it is used at 10kph or a hundred, the user is under the same obligation not to dazzle other road users.
My point was that visibility becomes a major issue at higher speed. Just yesterday I was driving on Mysore road which has a divider in place. Yet the high beam from the other lane had rendered the visibility extremely low.

Therefore my stress on the speed part. Now, the users just misuse the high beam functionality. The law enforcement is not so worried about enforcing it (as is case with helmets & seat belts). Therefore search for alternative solutions.
Old 10th April 2017, 13:30   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My point was that visibility becomes a major issue at higher speed.
Of course, you need to see further.

Quote:
Therefore my stress on the speed part.
Then why do you want a buzzer below a set speed. You've moved the goal post.

Quote:
Now, the users just misuse the high beam functionality. The law enforcement is not so worried about enforcing it (as is case with helmets & seat belts). Therefore search for alternative solutions.
I quite agree. No doubt we are both fed up with glare coming from ahead and glare in the RVM. But it is a regular misconception on this site that main-beam should not be used at slower speeds or on urban roads.

The issue is correct and responsible usage, not speed, slow or fast.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 13:41   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Of course, you need to see further.

Then why do you want a buzzer below a set speed. You've moved the goal post.

I quite agree. No doubt we are both fed up with glare coming from ahead and glare in the RVM. But it is a regular misconception on this site that main-beam should not be used at slower speeds or on urban roads.

Sir, I think we might be converging on the same point. It wasn't me who brought buzzer into this discussion, though I endorsed it. It is supposed to be like a reminder for user to turn off his high beam, thus developing a habit in him. Unless users display the sensible usage behaviour, alternate steps need to be taken to drive in that behaviour.

I might be wrong, but I do not think that high beam is needed at slower speeds-when you need to see only few feet ahead of roads. High beams come into picture only when you drive at higher speed, and need visibility of road further ahead. I drive a P220 (in this case low beam being a projector is way better than the high beam) and a Santro, and the low beam is usually sufficient till speeds of 60. Please feel free to correct me. Its only pitch dark roads and highways where high beam is useful.
Old 10th April 2017, 13:58   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I think we might be converging on the same point.
Yes: I'm sure we agree far more than we disagree!

In my city, one can be plunged into power-cut darkness, or dismally-badly-lit streets at any night-time moment. But, one should never use the main beam in the face of oncoming traffic, and, in the city, there often is oncoming traffic. Or traffic ahead.

Off-topic somewhat, but on small streets, I am keen on using the fog lamps. They cover a wide sweep low and close to the car, and will not dazzle anybody, except maybe the dogs.

On the whole, I'd say that I always use high beams except when they will dazzle. But, of course, that is a minority of the time in the city.

Proper use of main beam requires consideration and cooperation amongst drivers. Here, many people want to think only of themselves. It is that we need to work on.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 16:55   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, I was fined on the Koramangala signal for having the High beam ON.
The fine was very low amount, but the cop present there explained very neatly that within city limits, you are not supposed to used the high beam.

Personally, I stopped using high beams after that inside city.
I use them only if the on-coming vehicle is using the High beam and not coming down to Low beam inspite of flashing the lights.
Old 10th April 2017, 19:59   #419
BHPian

Quote:
It is. Really, really, it is. It can be the difference between seeing a biker and not seeing them. And that can mean a lot
Towns, cities, slow. No. Don't you get to drive at 30, 40kph? Fast enough to kill. And the bikers are more likely to be where they should not be, which is all the more reason that they should be easier to see. Remember it is our job to keep them alive
That's what I mean, Ginathom Saab, if we cannot see a biker at 30/40 kmph, we should not be driving. I personally find it very difficult to drive when five bikers in the opposite lane are shining their high beams at me, crawling with feet on the ground in a jam, or coming at 40 kmph ! And that headlight cannot keep the biker alive when he crashes into a guardrail/lamppost/bus/truck without helmet at any speed. By the same logic, car headlights on also make for better visibility. And sirens and flashers on the roof -- all cars should have them !

As opposed to the buzzer, I would suggest proximity switches to automatically dim the headlights when sensors see another light at, say, 500 mtrs. When we have rain-sensing wipers and HLs coming on at dusk, this should be easy. In this way, nobody could keep HLs on high beam in the city, as they would keep automatically dipping. All it takes is one PIL in a High Court or The Supreme Court -- any judge would happily give the order to make such sensors compulsory -- just like the 'AHO Rule' (in a country tired of I-can-blind-you-more games) or the 'No Sunfilm Rule' (in a tropical country with 40C+ temperatures). This would be one sensible rule change in a country being more and more guided by lunacy and stupidity !

Should TEAM-BHP take the lead ?
Old 10th April 2017, 20:07   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post

As opposed to the buzzer, I would suggest proximity switches to automatically dim the headlights when sensors see another light at, say, 500 mtrs. When we have rain-sensing wipers and HLs coming on at dusk, this should be easy. In this way, nobody could keep HLs on high beam in the city, as they would keep automatically dipping.
Such a system already exists.
It is available for sale in India as well, on the A8 (If I remember correctly)

http://www.audi.com/en/innovation/de...atrix_LED.html

Quoting from the article:
The system blanks out light that would otherwise shine directly on oncoming vehicles or vehicles in front but continues to fully illuminate all the other areas in between and alongside. Automatic traffic sign glare reduction dims the light striking the highly reflective surface, which in turn ensures that the driver is dazzled less. The main lighting functions when unlocking the vehicle (coming home/leaving home), activation of driving lights, switching between the different light patterns and the control when oncoming traffic drives past are visible as dynamic processes in the headlight. The driver enjoys much greater visibility.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks